SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

It's tough to be a Greek these days i guess.  It's not just at UND:

http://blog.startribune.com/sports/randball/tfd-illinois-fraternity-in-trouble-over-gut-the-gophers-sign

I am sure Mike Rand had a laugh when he did this story. He was my classmate at Grand Forks Central, and most likely still a Gopher hater.

It's tough to be a Greek these days i guess.  It's not just at UND:

http://blog.startribune.com/sports/randball/tfd-illinois-fraternity-in-trouble-over-gut-the-gophers-sign

So when do the Native American organizations storm the Illinois campus and threaten to send letters to all Native Americans warning them not to attend this school, demand that the campus be scrubbed of all Illini imagery.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/athletes-faculty-weigh-und-nickname

"Many students said they would want a new nickname to represent the state of North Dakota as a whole and give people something to stand behind and be proud of."

At least they are getting the obvious things out of the way early.

“It has to ensure a degree of respect and if there’s any form of discrimination that could come about as a result of it, it should be removed from the table,”

Looks like all the names on this poll are out!

"Many students said they would want a new nickname to represent the state of North Dakota as a whole and give people something to stand behind and be proud of."

At least they are getting the obvious things out of the way early.

“It has to ensure a degree of respect and if there’s any form of discrimination that could come about as a result of it, it should be removed from the table,”

Looks like all the names on this poll are out!

Unfortunately, I believe that leaves us with pride, spirit, and brave..... puke-smiley-emoticon.gif

Ok, so here's an idea.

IMO, the best logos are simple.  For example, I think the Vikings have the best helmet in the NFL.   Simple and straight forward.  It's easily recognizable from a distance as well as still looks good close up.

So, how about taking on the nickname of the "Black Stripes"?   We're all familiar with the little black rectangle (censor bars) that censors out sensitive body parts on tv.

Well, the NCAA censored UND's nickname.  So we stick a simple black stripe on our football helmets and across the front of our hockey jerseys.  Call ourselves the "Black Stripes" (hey, really think the "Red Sox" was all that cool when it was first proposed?).

Simple, easy to recognize, unique, pokes a bit of a finger at the NCAA, non-offensive......

So, how about taking on the nickname of the "Black Stripes"?   

Simple, easy to recognize, unique, pokes a bit of a finger at the NCAA, non-offensive......

You know, that's not bad. 

But which finger do you propose to show the NCAA? ... Wait ... maybe we need one of those "Black Stripes". :D 

Ok, so here's an idea.

IMO, the best logos are simple.  For example, I think the Vikings have the best helmet in the NFL.   Simple and straight forward.  It's easily recognizable from a distance as well as still looks good close up.

So, how about taking on the nickname of the "Black Stripes"?   We're all familiar with the little black rectangle (censor bars) that censors out sensitive body parts on tv.

Well, the NCAA censored UND's nickname.  So we stick a simple black stripe on our football helmets and across the front of our hockey jerseys.  Call ourselves the "Black Stripes" (hey, really think the "Red Sox" was all that cool when it was first proposed?).

The University of North Dakota Redacted.

Ok, so here's an idea.

IMO, the best logos are simple. For example, I think the Vikings have the best helmet in the NFL. Simple and straight forward. It's easily recognizable from a distance as well as still looks good close up.

So, how about taking on the nickname of the "Black Stripes"? We're all familiar with the little black rectangle (censor bars) that censors out sensitive body parts on tv.

Well, the NCAA censored UND's nickname. So we stick a simple black stripe on our football helmets and across the front of our hockey jerseys. Call ourselves the "Black Stripes" (hey, really think the "Red Sox" was all that cool when it was first proposed?).

Excellent idea! Works for me.

This is the problem I've been saying for years.  The committee, and President Kelley, will be so averse to any form of controversy that might come from the new nickname, that it will be impossible for any decent nickname to come out of this process.  

If you look hard enough (which this committee certainly will), the vast majority of the nickname ideas on this thread could result in some form of controversy.

For example, I think Norse, or some variation thereof, is one of the more popular options on this thread and among people I talk with that don't post here.  But it will NEVER be chosen because any nickname of a group of people could be considered discriminatory or insensitive (even if that group isn't strongly opposed).  As such, we're simply not going to end up with any group of people as a nickname, or anything that anyone on the fringe might find even remotely objectionable.  

This is the problem I've been saying for years.  The committee, and President Kelley, will be so averse to any form of controversy that might come from the new nickname, that it will be impossible for any decent nickname to come out of this process.  

If you look hard enough (which this committee certainly will), the vast majority of the nickname ideas on this thread could result in some form of controversy.

For example, I think Norse, or some variation thereof, is one of the more popular options on this thread and among people I talk with that don't post here.  But it will NEVER be chosen because any nickname of a group of people could be considered discriminatory or insensitive (even if that group isn't strongly opposed).  As such, we're simply not going to end up with any group of people as a nickname, or anything that anyone on the fringe might find even remotely objectionable.

Black Stripes=Racist  :0

Ok, so here's an idea.

Along the same lines we could be the blur or instead of stripes Black Box

How so?

While a stretch, I think the point was to show that if the name can be even have an inch of controversy, the committee won't accept it. 

Like names such as Spirit, Brave, and Pride can't be considered in the same light because they can be claimed racist/derogatory as well.  A huge stretch but again.....