SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Whether the game is played now or in ten years, the game would be sold out with plenty of hype. Regardless of when the game is played, the rivalry will live on. It's embedded too far within the long-time supporters of both schools. Anyone who says differently is in the minority and just doesn't understand college football traditions. In my opinion, the NDSU national championships are tainted because they didn't play and beat their natural rival in UND. That's what makes it so special for Alabama-Auburn, USC-UCLA, Texas-Oklahoma, Ohio State-Michigan, etc. etc.; during their national championship seasons, they have to go through their arch rival. I have no doubt NDSU would have beat UND this year and the last two, but wouldn't those NC seasons have been more memorials with those rivalry victories as apart of the season? Any true college football fan would tell you yes.

Tainted? Really?

This is not meant as a rip at all, but this post is exactly where the two fan bases are different. NDSU due to their more recent success, enjoys a much, much younger fan base in terms of age in general. The fans in the last ten years for the most part couldn't even tell you where UND is, they don't care. It truly isn't hate with these guys, it's indifference. Us older guys, absolutely, we care. But the new people don't. So to them and to the current players to say it is tainted is laughable.

Tainted? Really?

This is not meant as a rip at all, but this post is exactly where the two fan bases are different. NDSU due to their more recent success, enjoys a much, much younger fan base in terms of age in general. The fans in the last ten years for the most part couldn't even tell you where UND is, they don't care. It truly isn't hate with these guys, it's indifference. Us older guys, absolutely, we care. But the new people don't. So to them and to the current players to say it is tainted is laughable.

I agree on the tainted part being inaccurate but the chants that still occasionally come out of your student section contradicts your point of younger fans not knowing or caring about UND.

Tainted? Really?

Perhaps tainted may be too strong of a word for you, but my point was simply that with UND not on NDSU's schedule, there is something missing in those recent NDSU championship seasons. The hype and excitement of a UND-NDSU game would rival the NC game itself, and only ignorant, short-sided NDSU fans think differently. We've already seen the atmosphere for the basketball games, and they have been impressive thus far.

And I disagree that younger fans do not care about UND-NDSU as a rivalry. If you grew up in North Dakota or Western Minnesota, you get it. The hype and competitive talk still goes on amongst the younger generations as they've been able to research the history of the two schools and witness the rivalry in other sports.

• Upvote 2

Perhaps tainted may be too strong of a word for you, but my point was simply that with UND not on NDSU's schedule, there is something missing in those recent NDSU championship seasons. The hype and excitement of a UND-NDSU game would rival the NC game itself, and only ignorant, short-sided NDSU fans think differently. We've already seen the atmosphere for the basketball games, and they have been impressive thus far.

Anyone ever told you that you're quite adept at setting up false dichotomies?

Either I agree with you, or I'm an ignorant, short sided(see sighted) NDSU fan. I'll go with a third option if you'll allow.

You have built up the rivalry to mean more than it does to NDSU fans. As you can imagine, I am friends and speak with many, many former and current NDSU players and fans. I'll admit you'll have to take my word on this, but I have never, and I mean not once, heard an NDSU fan even hint at these championships would have meant more with UND on the schedule.

I agree on the tainted part being inaccurate but the chants that still occasionally come out of your student section contradicts your point of younger fans not knowing or caring about UND.

So a few guys start a chant and you think that means they care?

Anyone ever told you that you're quite adept at setting up false dichotomies?

Either I agree with you, or I'm an ignorant, short sided(see sighted) NDSU fan. I'll go with a third option if you'll allow.

You have built up the rivalry to mean more than it does to NDSU fans. As you can imagine, I am friends and speak with many, many former and current NDSU players and fans. I'll admit you'll have to take my word on this, but I have never, and I mean not once, heard an NDSU fan even hint at these championships would have meant more with UND on the schedule.

Alright, accept your third option - that's fine. The NDSU alumni I know love beating FBS teams as much as they like playing in the FCS championship. Why? Well they like recognition and the big game atmosphere, and I guess driving their fancy buses down to the games also. They're always talking about the future FBS games; not the dynamics of the MVFC. Nevertheless, the point is UND would be one of those games for NDSU fans. They may not want to admit it or face it right now, but if the game ever gets scheduled, both fan bases will be actively involved and ecstatic.

Alright, accept your third option - that's fine. The NDSU alumni I know love beating FBS teams as much as they like playing in the FCS championship. Why? Well they like recognition and the big game atmosphere, and I guess driving their fancy buses down to the games also. Nevertheless, the point is UND would be one of those games for NDSU fans. They may not want to admit it or face it right now, but if the game ever gets scheduled, both fan bases will be actively involved and ecstatic.

You say these NDSU fans you know love the recognition of winning the big games. I agree, it's fun to see your team's highlights on ESPN. But that further proves NDSU's side of the argument don't you think? How does playing UND bring NDSU national attention?

You say these NDSU fans you know love the recognition of winning the big games. I agree, it's fun to see your team's highlights on ESPN. But that further proves NDSU's side of the argument don't you think? How does playing UND bring NDSU national attention?

UND-NDSU has the potential to be the biggest FCS rivalry; couldn't that possibly get some attention? ESPN has been putting more of an emphasis on the top FCS teams recently (see College Gameday in Fargo).

UND-NDSU has the potential to be the biggest FCS rivalry; couldn't that possibly get some attention? ESPN has been putting more of an emphasis on the top FCS teams recently (see College Gameday in Fargo).

If Montana vs. Montana St. has never garnered this attention or GoSouthern vs. App. I don't see how NDSU vs. UND ever could. ESPN has made NDSU their pet project it seems, in a very limited sense, not the top of FCS. I haven't seen any more attention paid to FCS football lately than usual.

You posters who say it is ALL about the money are completely ignoring many interviews that Craig Bohl has done since the decision was made to move along.

Did money play a large role? Absolutely, but he had opportunities to move on prior to this year if it was truly all about the money. Why now? If he is some mercenary for hire like some are making him out to be, why not take one of the other jobs that he interviewed for prior to this one.(Don't begin to say he didn't have other opportunities, I know different).

The reason he ultimately moved on is EXACTLY what he said in his interviews. He has nothing left to accomplish in Fargo. The fan base in Fargo, as many of you love to point out, has unrealistic expectations(see delusional, your word for it). If he sticks around and we have a few down years, which let's be honest, anything less than a National Championship will be a let down in the next 2-3 years. The fans will call for his head, just as they did in '08-'09. Unrealistic expectations from the fan base, yes, but that's reality.

Money played a role, as it does in all of our lives when we make career decisions. I've known many entrepreneurs who have walked away from gold mine, set for life, kids and grandkids set for life businesses to take on a new challenge in life. It happens all the time.

Money played a role, no doubt, but the challenge of it all is what drove this decision if you ask me.

So he had all these opportunities but he held out for Wyoming? Having your name thrown out in Fargo about being up for a job doesn't mean he was offered or even interviewed it just shows fan paranoia. (You do realize that most of this discussion is just smack - what do you expect when you continue to come to another schools fan site and post bison-swill. ;) ).

93 November 12, 1988 Grand Forks, ND North Dakota State 27 34 UND 52–38–3 UND 26–24

94 November 11, 1989 Fargo, ND North Dakota State 0 21 UND 52–39–3 UND 26–25

95 November 10, 1990 Grand Forks, ND North Dakota State 14 42 UND 52–40–3 Tied 26–26

96 November 16, 1991 Fargo, ND North Dakota State 28 35 UND 52–41–3 NDSU 27–26

97 November 14, 1992 Grand Forks, ND North Dakota State 19 20 UND 52–42–3 NDSU 28–26

My four years of Sioux futility...groan...

Whether the game is played now or in ten years, the game would be sold out with plenty of hype. Regardless of when the game is played, the rivalry will live on. It's embedded too far within the long-time supporters of both schools. Anyone who says differently is in the minority and just doesn't understand college football traditions. In my opinion, the NDSU national championships are tainted because they didn't play and beat their natural rival in UND. That's what makes it so special for Alabama-Auburn, USC-UCLA, Texas-Oklahoma, Ohio State-Michigan, etc. etc.; during their national championship seasons, they have to go through their arch rival. I have no doubt NDSU would have beat UND this year and the last two, but wouldn't those NC seasons have been more memorable with those rivalry victories as apart of the season? Any true college football fan would tell you yes.

If UND wins a hockey title the next few years is it tainted cause the Gophs aren't on the schedule?

83 October 21, 1978 Grand Forks, ND North Dakota 24 21 UND 50–30–3 UND 24–16

84 October 13, 1979 Fargo, ND North Dakota 14 7 UND 51–30–3 UND 25–16

85 October 4, 1980 Grand Forks, ND North Dakota 38 20 UND 52–30–3 UND 26–16

86 September 26, 1981 Fargo, ND North Dakota State 7 31 UND 52–31–3 UND 26–17

My years at UND. We will get back there again though it means we must get much better and su needs to stumble some. If I were a su fan I would be gloating now also. It only makes it more sweet when we catch up (like we have in all other sports) Be happy and gloat su fans. Appreciate your football and have fun. Bubba is in the rear view mirror!

My years at UND. We will get back there again though it means we must get much better and su needs to stumble some. If I were a su fan I would be gloating now also. It only makes it more sweet when we catch up (like we have in all other sports) Be happy and gloat su fans. Appreciate your football and have fun. Bubba is in the rear view mirror!

Is the Bubba in the mirror larger than he appears? ;)

My years, too. That was fun, especially the 1980 game.

If Montana vs. Montana St. has never garnered this attention or GoSouthern vs. App. I don't see how NDSU vs. UND ever could. ESPN has made NDSU their pet project it seems, in a very limited sense, not the top of FCS. I haven't seen any more attention paid to FCS football lately than usual.

Please elaborate more on FU being the project of ESPN.

LMAO!

As a member of the younger generation I can tell you with 100% confidence that people of my generation absolutely care about the UND-NDSU rivalry. If you truly believe that we don't you are at best mislead and at worst an idiot. I have tons of friends that attend both schools. Most are friends but when it comes to supporting their school there is still a take no prisoners attitude. I currently live in Minot and you can go to the grocery store and watch people argue about the two schools (generally friendly banter). Kids have been raised by parents that have attended each respective school and have passed that tradition on. It has not and will not ever stop and I would venture to say that we're closer to the state government requiring them to play yearly than them never playing again.

If they played next year the game would sell out in about 2 minutes and it would be the most watched event on TV in North Dakota. If they don't play for another 15 years, it will still sell out in 2 minutes and be the most watched event on TV in North Dakota.

As a member of the younger generation I can tell you with 100% confidence that people of my generation absolutely care about the UND-NDSU rivalry. If you truly believe that we don't you are at best mislead and at worst an idiot. I have tons of friends that attend both schools. Most are friends but when it comes to supporting their school there is still a take no prisoners attitude. I currently live in Minot and you can go to the grocery store and watch people argue about the two schools (generally friendly banter). Kids have been raised by parents that have attended each respective school and have passed that tradition on. It has not and will not ever stop and I would venture to say that we're closer to the state government requiring them to play yearly than them never playing again.

If they played next year the game would sell out in about 2 minutes and it would be the most watched event on TV in North Dakota. If they don't play for another 15 years, it will still sell out in 2 minutes and be the most watched event on TV in North Dakota.

Amen...Aaaaamen....AMEN!!!

UND doesn't want a date with NDSU ever! Can you imagine the beating they would take???

Most games in this series, the ag school was beaten.Similar to almost everything we have played them in this year. VB,MBB,WBB, and soccer. Other than vb their "imaginations" had different outcomes. Who cares what they do? Hopefully they will be able to be good enough to make the playoffs most years and we will get them there. In the meantime their fans can enjoy their success and say what they wish,but until we play, it is just talk.

If the UND-NDSU rivalry can gain national attention during DII (NFL Films' Football America) just think what the rivet would be like at the DI level. I think Bison fans are more worried about losing to UND than winning, or else UND would be on the schedule. If Bison fans would rather play the likes of Wagner, Prairie View or Ferris St instead of UND I guess more power to them. Most Bison fans would say they would win 80-0, well wouldn't it be fun to embarrass your in-state rival? I know the Bison teams of the 80's loved it. But as long as God is the head of NDSU athletics he will hold a grudge and won't agree to play UND in football. See you guys in the playoffs, and have fun filling your schedule with Mankato, Augustana or Pitt State.