SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

McFeely wrote the blog post. Ask him.

Mcfeely is a self important talking head who will say anything to get people to read his blog. Not a good source of information.

Using Grant Olson as an example of a recruiting "miss" shows his ignorance.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying Grant is an absolute stud, and an amazing leader. He may be the best who's ever played at NDSU, . But athletically, he couldn't compete in the Big Ten and that is why he wasn't offered by the Gophers. Knowing how his career turned out at NDSU, I still wouldn't recruit him to play middle linebacker in the Big Ten.

Zener and Schneider from SDSU, Jackson and Hardin from UND, Murtha and Jacobs from USD, Busher from UNI....... To name a few.

Then explain why NDSU has done quite a bit better than any of those teams.

BTW - your premise that those players all should have been recruited by Tim Brewster is questionable to say the least.

You guys are hilarious. Name one player on NDSU's roster that should be playing in the Big Ten or that Minnesota "missed".

Billy Turner maybe.

Marcus Williams, was not an academic qualifier.

Outside of those two who did Brewster "miss" on?

NDSU isn't winning games because they have better players than the other teams. In fact, athletically we are over-matched in a lot of cases.

NDSU is winning because the players buy into a system that works and they play together.

As proof of this, NDSU hasn't put any more players in the NFL than usual over this run than they did in the past.

And you are a complete moron if you believe this. There are plenty of great college players that don't go on to play in the NFL. You don't need 22 NFL caliber players to win at any level, you need talent and depth across the board. 3 or 4 great players don't make a team.

Yes, but he has quotes in there from actual players that felt Minnesota overlooked them. Or are they lies?

And?

Have you ever met an athlete? They always think someone is "disrespecting their skills". Listen to NFL players in interviews sometime. Players just use it as motivation.

Players thinking they have been overlooked certainly doesn't mean that NDSU is winning games because of one coach's recruiting ineptitude. Did the Gophers miss on Billy Turner? Who knows. Maybe he goes to U of M, get lost on the depth chart for his first two years and doesn't develop the confidence to be such a star. Maybe Marcus going up against better receivers in practice everyday and not getting all those picks because of better competition causes him to not garner any NFL attention, which remains to be seen in the upcoming draft.

This is a phenomenon that has been termed by Malcolm Gladwell as a "desirable difficulty". Maybe the reason they became so good in the first place was because they felt "disrespected" and had they been recruited to U of M may have not stood out the way they did.

And you are a complete moron if you believe this. There are plenty of great college players that don't go on to play in the NFL. You don't need 22 NFL caliber players to win at any level, you need talent and depth across the board. 3 or 4 great players don't make a team.

And there are plenty of 'Great' NDSU football players that would have played special teams if they played for the Gophers. It's a different level of competition for a reason.

Wow, 1 NDSU fan that has a taste of reality.

I thought I was a moron. Pull yourself together.

You think NDSU wins because they have better players? Never have never will.

Kansas State, U of M, countless teams NDSU has beaten over the years had better athletes. Back when I played, we had one of the best defenses in I-AA(when it was called that). Routinely, I lined up against players that athletically and physically could run circles around me and pick me up and throw me through a wall. I was able to compete and win in those one on one match-ups because I was better coached and a hell of a lot more disciplined than them.

NDSU has been doing it for years and they are still doing it. Why do you think that when every opposing team looks at NDSU's film they "aren't impressed"? Because on film it doesn't look special, it looks boring in fact. NDSU beats you because they are a better team than you, not because they are better athletically.

I thought I was a moron. Pull yourself together.

You think NDSU wins because they have better players? Never have never will.

Kansas State, U of M, countless teams NDSU has beaten over the years had better athletes. Back when I played, we had one of the best defenses in I-AA(when it was called that). Routinely, I lined up against players that athletically and physically could run circles around me and pick me up and throw me through a wall. I was able to compete and win in those one on one match-ups because I was better coached and a hell of a lot more disciplined than them.

NDSU has been doing it for years and they are still doing it. Why do you think that when every opposing team looks at NDSU's film they "aren't impressed"? Because on film it doesn't look special, it looks boring in fact. NDSU beats you because they are a better team than you, not because they are better athletically.

Don't quite agree with this. IMO, they do have better players than the teams they've beaten over the years. But not necessarily better athletes. If NDSU has done a better job recruiting than the Gophers, for instance, it's because they have done a better job seeing the difference.

It's worth noting that none of the players mentioned as examples of NDSU supposedly benefiting from poor recruiting at Minnesota were recruited by any other Big Ten teams. If Brewster, or Mason, or Kill were all wrong so was every other coach in the Big Ten.

Don't quite agree with this. IMO, they do have better players than the teams they've beaten over the years. But not necessarily better athletes. If NDSU has done a better job recruiting than the Gophers, for instance, it's because they have done a better job seeing the difference.

It's worth noting that none of the players mentioned as examples of NDSU supposedly benefiting from poor recruiting at Minnesota were recruited by any other Big Ten teams. If Brewster, or Mason, or Kill were all wrong so was every other coach in the Big Ten.

Are you of the opinion that the team with better players is the one who will win? Or do you believe that a coach can be good at recruiting the "right" players for his system?

You guys like hockey so here's an example for you. Why didn't Herb Brooks take the highest rated, best players for his legendary Olympic hockey team? The answer is because they wouldn't have accomplished anything near what the team of "lesser" players accomplished. He found the right guys to play his style of hockey and the rest is history. Too many coaches recruit talent, but talent only takes you so far in team sports.

NDSU isn't good at recruiting better "football players" or kids who know the game better. What NDSU became very skilled at was identifying the players who would come in and be part of a bigger vision. Players who buy into a system that is proven to win. And say what you may about Coach Bohl and his staff if you like, but there is no denying he is a master at motivating and organizing young mind. Why do you think Sam Ojuri and John Crockett are OK with splitting carries. Why do you think NDSU's receivers are ok with not being an 'air raid' offense. NDSU's defense has some amazing individual talent, but you'd be hard pressed to say one of them is the best.

They bring in kids with the right attitude(with rare exception) and they teach them discipline and team. The end result of which is the product we are witnessing.

Exactly. Michigan and Ohio State don't recruit the same players that NDSU does...and Minnesota's competing against those schools and NOT the NDSU's and UND's of the world.

Are you of the opinion that the team with better players is the one who will win? Or do you believe that a coach can be good at recruiting the "right" players for his system.

You guys like hockey so here's an example for you. Why didn't Herb Brooks take the highest rated, best players for his legendary Olympic hockey team? The answer is because they wouldn't have accomplished anything near what the team of "lesser" players accomplished.

NDSU isn't good at recruiting better "football players" or kids who know the game better. What NDSU became very skilled at was identifying the players who would come in and be part of a bigger vision. Players who buy into a system that is proven to win. And say what you may about Coach Bohl and his staff if you like, but there is no denying he is a master at motivating and organizing young mind. Why do you think Sam Ojuri and John Crockett are OK with splitting carries. Why do you think NDSU's receivers are ok with not being an 'air raid' offense. NDSU's defense has some amazing individual talent, but you'd be hard pressed to say one of them is the best.

They bring in kids with the right attitude(with rare exception) and they teach them discipline and team. The end result of which is the product we are witnessing.

Don't disagree with any of this. Attitude and coaching (together with athletic ability) are what makes an athlete into a player.

Are you of the opinion that the team with better players is the one who will win? Or do you believe that a coach can be good at recruiting the "right" players for his system?

You guys like hockey so here's an example for you. Why didn't Herb Brooks take the highest rated, best players for his legendary Olympic hockey team? The answer is because they wouldn't have accomplished anything near what the team of "lesser" players accomplished. He found the right guys to play his style of hockey and the rest is history. Too many coaches recruit talent, but talent only takes you so far in team sports.

NDSU isn't good at it, Bohl and his staff were good at it.......... bye bye system!

Good analysis. Hoping Schweigert can do this.

That is so illogical it's hard to believe. It's like saying NDSU isn't good, its players are.

NDSU's football program is its players and coaches.

You know, Moo U is so good, they probably don't even need coaches. In fact, they probably don't need to recruit either, they can just pick random kids from campus (when they don't have to milk the cows) and throw a jersey on them to win championships. Yeah, thats the ticket!

NDSU isn't good at it, Bohl and his staff were good at it.......... bye bye system!

You seem very young based on your comments, so here's a history lesson. \

NDSU had 8 national championships before Craig Bohl was head coach. Craig Bohl is only part of the reason NDSU now has 10 and is looking to make it 11 in 6 days.

Craig Bohl didn't recruit Steve Walker, Joe Mays, Kyle Steffes, Craig Dahl or anyone else in the '02 or '03 recruiting classes that went 10-1 two straight season while ineligible for the playoffs.

NDSU is going to be more than fine, don't you worry.

You seem very young based on your comments, so here's a history lesson. \

NDSU had 8 national championships before Craig Bohl was head coach. Craig Bohl is only part of the reason NDSU now has 10 and is looking to make it 11 in 6 days.

Craig Bohl didn't recruit Steve Walker, Joe Mays, Kyle Steffes, Craig Dahl or anyone else in the '02 or '03 recruiting classes that went 10-1 two straight season while ineligible for the playoffs.

NDSU is going to be more than fine, don't you worry.

So where in your history lesson does it say when the last championship for NDSU was before Bohl? Before him the 'system' clearly didn't work for a good amount of time. He brought the right Guys in that have won the championships, not the school of NDSU.

So where in your history lesson does it say when the last championship for NDSU was before Bohl? Before him the 'system' clearly didn't work for a good amount of time. He brought the right Guys in that have won the championships, not the school of NDSU.

The reason for NDSU's slump has been hashed out over and on a thousand threads both here and bisonville. No need to re-visit, regardless of where you believe it came from.

I'll answer your question with a question. Is it UND hockey or a certain coach that brings success? They have own championships with multiple coaches. Is it Alabama football or a certain coach that brings success, they have championships with multiple coaches. Is it UCLA basketball or a certain coach? See where I'm going? Some schools have a tradition of winning and as others have said building from a position of success is much easier. NDSU football is one of those programs that will always be building from a position of success and even if they have down years, they will always be back.