SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

jimdahl

Not to split hairs, but this is from an ESPN article - but I do get your point!

Teams winning Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals have gone on to hoist the trophy 77 percent of the time (55 for 71) since the league went to a best-of-seven format in 1939.

I thought it was a great game last night with the wrong outcome! B's powerplay looked better, although they didn't score. But they did keep the Canuck PP at bay. I'm pretty sure the Canucks won't go 0-fer on the PP the entire series, so it would have been nice to capitalize on 1 or 2 last night and steal that game.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Alex Burrows after biting Bergeron. I'd say 1 game for sure, if not 2. I think this'll end up being a great series - now we just need a Bruins win on Saturday!

No suspension. The officials state that they do not find any reason to believe that he intended to bite him.

No suspension. The officials state that they do not find any reason to believe that he intended to bite him.

While he does admit to having the finger in his mouth, he denies inhaling.

Oh wait...I was thinking of something else...never mind.

Twist of fate for the Bruins last night. Burrows, who many thought would be kicked out for a game because of the biting incident, is cleared to play and kills Boston with 2 goals and an assist. Talk about adding insult to injury.

2 tough losses for the Bruins @ Vancouver, could have just as easily won them both, especially last night...they seemed to have control of the game but Vancouver was buzzing in the third period.

Going to have to do it the hard way now.

The Canucks are only one win away from closing out the series, yet I'm still nervous. Although I have no strong feelings for or against Vancouver, as a Penguins fan I cringe at the thought of seeing Boston end their drought. After seeing Tim Thomas use his goalie stick as a weapon in Game 4 (what a cheap hack he is) I think I'll throw up in my mouth if I see him hoist the Cup. But I'm afraid that's exactly what is going to happen. Each of the three games that the Canucks won easily could have gone either way, while the two games that the Bruins won were by a combined score of 12-1. I feel that there's no question the Bruins have been the better team so far in this series and I very much fear that they're going to win the next two games. I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong on this, but that's the gut feeling I have right now.

Its gotta make a team feel fortunate when they have been outscored in a series14-6 and they still have a 3-2 series lead. I wonder what the most lopsided goal differential is for a team that wins a Stanley Cup, but was outscored in the series.

I don't really like the Bruins or Canucks but one thing is for sure, I'd rather have a USA-located team win the Cup.

Even though the US based team has a higher percentage of Canadians on its roster (17/26 Bruins) than the Canadian based team (17/32 Canucks)?

Even though the US based team has a higher percentage of Canadians on its roster (17/26 Bruins) than the Canadian based team (17/32 Canucks)?

I wasn't thinking of it in that sense. More like I'd rather not give any Canadian/Canuck fans something to gloat and cheer about. :)

The Canucks are only one win away from closing out the series, yet I'm still nervous. Although I have no strong feelings for or against Vancouver, as a Penguins fan I cringe at the thought of seeing Boston end their drought. After seeing Tim Thomas use his goalie stick as a weapon in Game 4 (what a cheap hack he is) I think I'll throw up in my mouth if I see him hoist the Cup. But I'm afraid that's exactly what is going to happen. Each of the three games that the Canucks won easily could have gone either way, while the two games that the Bruins won were by a combined score of 12-1. I feel that there's no question the Bruins have been the better team so far in this series and I very much fear that they're going to win the next two games. I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong on this, but that's the gut feeling I have right now.

I respectully disagree totally that Tim Thomas is a "hack". Vancouver is the biggest bunch of babies/whiners I have ever seen in a Stanley Cup final. Please....

Take my opinion with a grain of salt because I openly admit that I hate the Bruins with a passion. However, he did swing his goalie stick at the knees of an opposing player. The motion of the swing reminded me of a lumberjack chopping down a tree with an axe.

I guess obviously you missed the part where Burrows the hack has been slashing Thomas' stick all series long and Timmy has seen enough, I guess that Thomas isn't allowed to defend his crease?

I respectully disagree totally that Tim Thomas is a "hack". Vancouver is the biggest bunch of babies/whiners I have ever seen in a Stanley Cup final. Please....

I agree with you... Calling Thomas a hack is one of the most clueless statements I have seen in a long time. Thomas is beloved by his team mates and respected the league over.

I will always defend a goalie's right to defend his crease (my oldest son is a goalie). But there are two things here that must be pointed out...

1. Burrows was clearly NOT in the crease when Thomas assaulted him with the goalie stick.

2. Even if he was in the crease, the use of the stick as a weapon is unacceptable. Shoving a player out of the crease is one thing, but you don't whack him in the knee with your goalie stick.

Thomas is a hothead with anger management issues. If there's any such thing as karma he will suffer yet another 1-0 loss in the 7th game on Wednesday.

http://youtu.be/TxTRI7x6QS8

So this slash is worthy of a 10-15 game suspension? You must be drinking. Burrows was slashing Thomas all game long and he had finally seen enough.

ESPN--- Thomas, who also body-checked Henrik Sedin to the ice in Game 3, said he was tired of Burrows and other Canucks going after the butt end of his stick all night long.

"They did it a couple of times on the power play in the first period also," said Thomas. "I don't know who it was, I was focused on the puck. That was like the third time that he had hit my butt end on that power play. We were up 4-0, the game was getting down toward the end, so I thought I'd give him a little love tap and let him know, 'I know what you're doing, but I'm not going to let you do it forever.' So that's all that was. It was a typical battle."

Burrows was not available after the game to comment.

Of course you're going to say that, you're a Bruins fan. The Bruins NEVER do anything wrong, do they Goon? Based on my observations, you seem to be under the impression that they're perfect little angels.

Yep!!!

Just got back to my hotel room. I attended the Bruins/Canucks game 6 at the Garden in person, and it couldn't have went any better! A few things I can still see haven't changed, mainly that DaveK is a dumbF**ck. Did I just read his post correctly when he said that "Thomas is a hothead with anger management issues."? Tim Thomas is probably the most controlled, composed person that I've watched play goalie. I've watched virtually every Bruins game this season courtesy of the NHL Center Ice package and there were times I was screaming at the TV wishing Thomas would go off, but when the camera was on him he was calmly smiling behind his mask. Dave, I'm sorry - but you have no clue. Seriously.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The games in Vancouver have been nice and close, so hopefully that continues for game 7. I have seen lots of stuff in this series from both teams that is downright embarrassing to me as a hockey fan, like Henrik Sedin's flopping around like he's injured whenever someone touches him, or Brad Marchand's repeated taunting and punches to a player who clearly isn't interested in fighting and isn't even defending himself. Does he think he's a tough guy by going after Sedin like that ? I don't recall him ever doing that to a fighter.

I will always defend a goalie's right to defend his crease (my oldest son is a goalie). But there are two things here that must be pointed out...

1. Burrows was clearly NOT in the crease when Thomas assaulted him with the goalie stick.

2. Even if he was in the crease, the use of the stick as a weapon is unacceptable. Shoving a player out of the crease is one thing, but you don't whack him in the knee with your goalie stick.

Thomas is a hothead with anger management issues. If there's any such thing as karma he will suffer yet another 1-0 loss in the 7th game on Wednesday.

Wait...wait...wait...

Was the puck in play, therefore placing the act within the "context" of the game? It's OK if it's between the whistles, right? I thought only the guys who drop the gloves after the whistle were hacks.

Got to give credit to the bruins for a great game seven game plan thus far. Playing good physical team defense and letting Con Smythe in the crease see everything in front of him.

This could get chippy at the end. Alex Burrows learned that biting someone equals you getting run for the remainder of the playoffs without any calls... :lol:

Just heard one of the announcers talking about past MVP award winners and one of the announcers mentioned the University of North Dakota when they listed Toews. Always good to hear the pro ranks mention North Dakota.

Congrats to the Boston Bruins though on winning the Cup.