SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

"Interesting to go back and read the message boards after UND's loss at BSU on Nov. 20. You remember Nov. 20 -- the day the season was over."

General by UNDSID on Mar 6, 2012 06:21:17 PM

You would think by now people would know that no Sioux hockey team can be evaluated until after the break, we almost always suck early...then get hot late.

Look, I'll be honest. In past years I've been a believer in the Sioux having the ability to bounce back. This year, after losing so much last year, and with the non-reports and Grimaldi's injury, after that dismal Bemidji game I actually thought for the first time in years that this season was "over".

Boy, was I wrong again. This team has proved its quality, and Hakstol and the coaching staff has as well.

In the new Hockey News magazine Nelson, Gregoire, Forbort, and Malone are all top 5 on the Future Watch list for their drafted teams.

Not trying to be an a-hole here but Gregoire wasn't drafted by Winnipeg, he signed with them as a free agent.

Just read Brad Schlossman's blog where he mentions many folks don't put much faith in pre-season polls.

Well, who would've predicted this for UND (and keep in mind Rocco Grimaldi was the preseason ROY):

Andrew Panzarella has more points and more assists than Grimaldi.

Taylor Dickin has the same scoring line for the season as Grimaldi.

Dan “Jim” Senkbeil has more assists and as many points as Grimaldi.

Aaron Dell has as many assists as Grimaldi.

And "high-scoring, natural-born sniper," ;) defenseman Andrew MacWilliam has as many goals as Grimaldi has points.

And somehow UND has a good shot at NCAA post-season.

Not trying to be an a-hole here but Gregoire wasn't drafted by Winnipeg, he signed with them as a free agent.

I believe this is how it works. After your 4th season after you have been drafted, you can sign with whomever. Most people equate this rule to being after you finish college, you can become a free agent. Since Gregoire was drafted in 2007, he played one season for Lincoln (USHL) and three with the Sioux, he used his four years after being drafted and was then able to become a free agent instead of having to wait for four years at UND. There is some confusion with that rule because most people think that it means you have to play all four collegiate seasons when it just means you have to play four non-professional seasons after being drafted.

Derek Forbort and Brock Nelson would both have to play all four years at UND to be able to become free agents since they came in the year they were drafted. Brad Malone also came to UND the season he was drafted, so he would have been eligible to become a free agent later last summer had he chose to do so, but wouldn't have been eligible in previous seasons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

I believe this is how it works. After your 4th season after you have been drafted, you can sign with whomever. Most people equate this rule to being after you finish college, you can become a free agent. Since Gregoire was drafted in 2007, he played one season for Lincoln (USHL) and three with the Sioux, he used his four years after being drafted and was then able to become a free agent instead of having to wait for four years at UND. There is some confusion with that rule because most people think that it means you have to play all four collegiate seasons when it just means you have to play four non-professional seasons after being drafted. Derek Forbort and Brock Nelson would both have to play all four years at UND to be able to become free agents since they came in the year they were drafted. Brad Malone also came to UND the season he was drafted, so he would have been eligible to become a free agent later last summer had he chose to do so, but wouldn't have been eligible in previous seasons. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

Sounds good to me...

I believe this is how it works. After your 4th season after you have been drafted, you can sign with whomever. Most people equate this rule to being after you finish college, you can become a free agent. Since Gregoire was drafted in 2007, he played one season for Lincoln (USHL) and three with the Sioux, he used his four years after being drafted and was then able to become a free agent instead of having to wait for four years at UND. There is some confusion with that rule because most people think that it means you have to play all four collegiate seasons when it just means you have to play four non-professional seasons after being drafted.

Derek Forbort and Brock Nelson would both have to play all four years at UND to be able to become free agents since they came in the year they were drafted. Brad Malone also came to UND the season he was drafted, so he would have been eligible to become a free agent later last summer had he chose to do so, but wouldn't have been eligible in previous seasons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

I'm pretty sure that for Gregoire to use that rule last year, he had to withdraw from school. If he wouldn't have done that, the NY Islanders would have retained his rights until he finished his 4th year of college.

I'm beginning to wonder now if UND can make the second half surge they're accustomed too. Obviously they'll improve, but looking at the roster this team just doesn't even compare to any of Haks past teams in talent. Even with Grimaldi in the lineup I don't think this team would be good enough for a top 4 spot in the WCHA. With a fully healthy lineup I would probably put them in the 4-7 range. They're not as good as Minnesota, or Duluth in my opinion. Anyone who has watched Duluth this year knows what I mean. We'll find out if they can compete with CC this weekend and then I'm not sure they are as good as Denver either.

Only time will tell, but I just can't see the second half surge happening, at least not as much of a surge as fans are used too, i.e. - 10+ game unbeaten streaks.

Still wondering?

If all the upperclassmen return next year and we get Rodwell, Grimaldi, and O'Donnell back from injuries and the recruits that we think will come in actually come in, there will be an unbelievable logjam for playing time next season. A nice problem to have, but I hate to see any of the warriors from this year's team not get a lot of PT next season. Of course, we could get another repeat of this year, injury-wise, heaven forbid.

There was one self described expert that said in a podcast that UND wasn't very good, then they went on a 18-5-2 run.

There was one self described expert that said in a podcast that UND wasn't very good, then they went on a 18-5-2 run.

I think the Sioux have made a lot of self-described "experts" eat their words over the years, particularly this season, regardless of how the Sioux do from here on out.

I'm pretty sure that for Gregoire to use that rule last year, he had to withdraw from school. If he wouldn't have done that, the NY Islanders would have retained his rights until he finished his 4th year of college.

nope, you do not have to play 4 years of college hockey. it is 4 years since you were drafted and if you don't sign with the team that drafted you you are a FA. I believe Blake Wheeler did this a few years ago.

Here is where I see the WCHA finishing after next weekends games.

1. UM

2. UMD

3. Denver

4. UND

5. CC

6. UNO

7. SCSU

8. Tech

9. BSU

10. Wisconsin

11. Mankato

12. AA

That sets up:

AA @ Minnesota........Minnesota wins that one

Mankato @ Duluth.....Duluth in two.

Wisconsin @ Denver....makes for interesting hockey....but Denver

BSU @ UND....UND matches up well with BSU....got to go with UND

Tech @ CC....These teams could possibly be playing two weekends in a row.....I'll give the edge to CC over a much improved Tech

SCSU @ UNO....Toss up. Mike Lee would be the key player in the series.

So the Final Five would be: UND vs. CC, winner to face Minnesota. Denver vs. UNO/SCSU, winner to face Duluth.

Wow, you got everything right except for the Tech @ CC series! Your next vacation should be Vegas (and don't forget the quarters)! :)

If all the upperclassmen return next year and we get Rodwell, Grimaldi, and O'Donnell back from injuries and the recruits that we think will come in actually come in, there will be an unbelievable logjam for playing time next season. A nice problem to have, but I hate to see any of the warriors from this year's team not get a lot of PT next season. Of course, we could get another repeat of this year, injury-wise, heaven forbid.

Haha UND proved me wrong this year that's for sure. As for having all upperclassmen returning next year, don't count on it. I've heard that it's almost certain Kristo will be gone. Haven't heard anything about other players, though.

I think the Sioux have made a lot of self-described "experts" eat their words over the years, particularly this season, regardless of how the Sioux do from here on out.

LOL, I think you're right... I learned about 6 seasons ago to never count out a team coached by Hakstol.

Haha UND proved me wrong this year that's for sure. As for having all upperclassmen returning next year, don't count on it. I've heard that it's almost certain Kristo will be gone. Haven't heard anything about other players, though.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Kristo left. I've heard he's not a big fan of school. Also, I thought I read that Kristo could use the loop-hole Gregoire used to become a free agent. IF that is the case, he's more than likely gone. I would be happy to be proven wrong though. :D

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Kristo left. I've heard he's not a big fan of school. Also, I thought I read that Kristo could use the loop-hole Gregoire used to become a free agent. IF that is the case, he's more than likely gone. I would be happy to be proven wrong though. :D

Kristo can't use that rule since he came right from high school. His rights will be held by Montreal until after he graduates.

Hey, we've all missed a few over the years. Hope you're wrong on Kristo, though, too, but many are saying the same thing you are.