SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

NDSU is not desperate I imagine. I presume NDSU saw the guy had potential and showed it in some All-Star game, correct? He wasn't signed to anything. Threw an offer out. Worth a try if they wanted him. Nothing wrong with doing that. If it isn't against any NCAA rules that is.

At a minimum it says this player would rather pay for his own education and play at UND than play on scholarship at NDSU. Any way you spin it, NDSU looks terrible in this. They should have gauged the kid's interest before making the offer because when he refuses...
  • Upvote 2

NDSU is not desperate I imagine. I presume NDSU saw the guy had potential and showed it in some All-Star game, correct? He wasn't signed to anything. Threw an offer out. Worth a try if they wanted him. Nothing wrong with doing that. If it isn't against any NCAA rules that is.

I love going and reading the recruiting threads here and Bisonville. Seeing guys like you, BisonDan and others ripping UND's recruiting class saying it lacked talent. Now a few months later, your bison are offering scholorships to one of our preferred walk ons. New low no matter how you look at it.

• Upvote 3

What I like is that we are pitted against Wisconsin for a recruit. Tells me we are getting after the right players.

Also, for him to be debating a possible walk-on from Wisconsin vs. a walk-on from UND is pretty impressive. Plus him turning down a late, bush league scholarship offer from NDSU to steal him is even better.

Nope it was an offer from NDSCS, just another case of NDSU getting confused with a superior school by the media. Still haven't beaten those guys out on a recruit.....

I didn't think you were allowed to recruit someone who is on another team's roster ...

I would imagine according to the NCAA he isn't on UND's roster at this point in time.

I love going and reading the recruiting threads here and Bisonville. Seeing guys like you, BisonDan and others ripping UND's recruiting class saying it lacked talent. Now a few months later, your bison are offering scholorships to one of our preferred walk ons. New low no matter how you look at it.

Well, there is where you are wrong. I haven't ripped UND's recruiting class because I don't pay attention to most recruiting things unless Iread about them in the paper. I wouldn't call it a new low. I watched helplessly as NDSU endured a 3-8 season. Right now, NDSU is on a roll.

I guess any school can still recruit a kid till he steps on the field at another school. I would venture to say that typically the recruiting practices NDSU is using might be frowned upon by other schools. The smell of it might hang around for a while.

Let's just not become one of the "Those" boards that rips high school kids. We know UND offers a quality education, is a quality higher education institution, has a football program with great facilities, high standards and a stalwart history. We welcome the best and we welcome those that want to be a part of something special.

• Upvote 1

Let's just not become one of the "Those" boards that rips high school kids. We know UND offers a quality education, is a quality higher education institution, has a football program with great facilities, high standards and a stalwart history. We welcome the best and we welcome those that want to be a party of something special.

Not fun seeing stuff like that on teh internets.

I have been to the parties up in Forks. Average at best. ;) Nice typo.

I guess any school can still recruit a kid till he steps on the field at another school. I would venture to say that typically the recruiting practices NDSU is using might be frowned upon by other schools. The smell of it might hang around for a while.

Damn, lost my post. Take 2: just the facts:

http://www.varsityedge.com/nei/varsity.nsf/main/national+letter+of+intent

Once I sign a National Letter of Intent may I be recruited by other institutions?

Once you sign a National Letter of Intent, all other participating conferences and institutions are obligated to cease recruiting you. Accordingly, you have an obligation to notify any recruiter from a National Letter of Intent institution of the fact you have signed a National Letter of Intent.

If I am going to walk-on to the team, may I sign a National Letter of Intent?

No. Under the terms of the National Letter of Intent Program, an institution is strictly prohibited from allowing you to sign a National Letter of Intent if you are a walk-on. In order for a National Letter of Intent it be consider valid, the National Letter of Intent must be accompanied by an athletic award letter which lists the terms and conditions of the award, including the amount and duration of the financial aid. Simply put, there has to be an award including athletics aid for there to be a valid National Letter of Intent.

Not fun seeing stuff like that on teh internets.

I have been to the parties up in Forks. Average at best. ;) Nice typo.

Right... And I'm sure Johnson Hall is just as crazy as the ones at UND. As someone who partied at both school I consider NDSU parties to be like JV compared to what I experienced in Grand Forks. It's not even close.

Back to recruiting. You lose.

• Upvote 1

I could really care less which school can party better.

UND students go to NDSU to party, and vise versa

To use a quote from The Rock "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO PARTIES BETTER!!!!"

Anyways, hopefully we can find a way to keep this kid in the fold. He looks like a steal

Right... And I'm sure Johnson Hall is just as crazy as the ones at UND. As someone who partied at both school I consider NDSU parties to be like JV compared to what I experienced in Grand Forks. It's not even close.

Back to recruiting. You lose.

Johnson Hall had its share of good times. Thats strange, because I always found Grand Forks to be the same as you found Fargo. The worst part, they wrote my friend up in El Forko for letting me have a dip in his room. I understanded no smoking(ew) but i couldnt enjoy a dip.

Back to recruiting. We will see the details surrounding what's going on, hopefully soon. I was not disappointed to see NDSU lost out of this individual, because we will have such a small class next year due to the small number of seniors this upcoming season. I am however, disappointed that someone would prefer to stay at UND.....or maybe he is waiting for UW to talk to him a bit more.

Damn, lost my post. Take 2: just the facts:

http://www.varsityed...etter of intent

Once I sign a National Letter of Intent may I be recruited by other institutions?

Once you sign a National Letter of Intent, all other participating conferences and institutions are obligated to cease recruiting you. Accordingly, you have an obligation to notify any recruiter from a National Letter of Intent institution of the fact you have signed a National Letter of Intent.

If I am going to walk-on to the team, may I sign a National Letter of Intent?

No. Under the terms of the National Letter of Intent Program, an institution is strictly prohibited from allowing you to sign a National Letter of Intent if you are a walk-on. In order for a National Letter of Intent it be consider valid, the National Letter of Intent must be accompanied by an athletic award letter which lists the terms and conditions of the award, including the amount and duration of the financial aid. Simply put, there has to be an award including athletics aid for there to be a valid National Letter of Intent.

I can say it one more time. I guess any school can recruit a kid till he steps on the field at another school since he hasn't signed a letter of intent. I would venture to say that typically the recruiting practices NDSU is using might be frowned upon by other schools. The smell of it might hang around for a while. NDSU can recruit like that but it might catch up on them down the road. People talk.

I can say it one more time. I guess any school can recruit a kid till he steps on the field at another school since he hasn't signed a letter of intent. I would venture to say that typically the recruiting practices NDSU is using might be frowned upon by other schools. The smell of it might hang around for a while. NDSU can recruit like that but it might catch up on them down the road. People talk.

After Gunner Kiel verballed to Indiana, he then switched his commitment several times. Going so far as to early enroll at LSU before showing up in South Bend a week later. I would venture to say that any school interested in winning may need to do some things that someone like you would frown upon. I honestly don't see anything wrong with offering a kid a discounted education to come play football when as of right now, he will be paying to play football at another school.

And if Alabama came in and done the same thing you guys would be giddy.....just saying

But NDSU fans would respond the same, so would USD and SDSU, let the guys in the offices fight over players....but then again we are the armchair QB's

After Gunner Kiel verballed to Indiana, he then switched his commitment several times. Going so far as to early enroll at LSU before showing up in South Bend a week later. I would venture to say that any school interested in winning may need to do some things that someone like you would frown upon. I honestly don't see anything wrong with offering a kid a discounted education to come play football when as of right now, he will be paying to play football at another school.

Different situation. One is an imature kid that couldn't make up his mind the other is a diamond in the rough who showed his stuff and is now a hot commodity.

There are at least three schools that recruited Schobert just since the All-Star game, its not just NDSU.

EVERY school recruits players that have verbally committed elsewhere, right up to National Signing Day.

There are at least three schools that recruited Schobert just since the All-Star game, its not just NDSU.

EVERY school recruits players that have verbally committed elsewhere, right up to National Signing Day.

I thought that National Signing Day was in Feb?

• Upvote 1