SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs Bulldogs - Friday

AZSIOUX

I think the problem with the team is that they don't have any purely physical enforcers like in more recent years. The team always had a Radke, Z. Jones, Prpich, Kaip, etc., but this year you don't really have that. Our "tough guys" are Mario Lamoureux and Brett Hextall. Brett's just a talker and Mario is pretty small for most fights.

Anyways, congrats on the win, let's get another tomorrow, and get some long-term momentum going.

I think Malone would be considered a 'tough guy' per your definition.

Blood and Mac are big guys, but don't throw their weight around as much as the others did. They are much stronger on the puck and have a role outside of playing the "tough guy". I agree they could play that role if it arose, but it's a lot fewer and farther between.

It's just a thought and I knew everyone would nitpick the situation, but maybe there's some validity in having a tough guy in the lineup every night. Even NHL clubs have them, and the successful ones have top scoring talent with a tough guy or two to keep a few of the better opposing players in line. I just don't see this team having that sort of person in our lineup.

Personally I didn't really see that in Jones, and Radke and Prpich didn't really do anything but instigate like Hextall does. Yes Prpich could drop them, but I don't think people feared him any more than they would MacWilliam or Blood. I can do without all the undisciplined penalties those two took also. I like the style of play that most of the Sioux play with now, and that is being tough to play against by always being in your face and making sure you finish off a hit and let the guy know that when he has or dishes the puck, he is going to take punishment. I think that is the essence of being tough. You can count the number of times Prpich and Kaip threw down on one hand. I don't think anybody was truly intimidated with them being on the ice or that it stopped anyone from doing something. I can't think of a circumstance this year that warranted somebody taking on the enforcer role, but I have no doubt that someone will step to the forefront once it becomes necessary.

I don't think you'll see that unless somebody does something that instigates it. MacWilliam and Blood can handle anything that comes along, but I don't mind them not seeking out tough guy situations when the play doesn't warrant it.

I agree, isn't that whole tough guy thing that got us known as the "goon hockey" team? I think the Sioux play a much smarter game now than years ago

Just got back from the game.I tell ya what to hold that team to 14 shots was impressive. Dell made the few tough saves he had to and the D kept most everything to the outside.I thought that Cichy line played pretty well considering his wingers haven't seen much action this year.To have Blood get the move of the game is telling you how far he has come from his freshman year as a stickhandler. Damn it's a pleasure to have Genoway back. You just don't realize how much ya missed watching him until he is back doing what he does so well,and that is help this team be so much better. Great effort and lets hope for the same tomorrow nite.

1st loss for Duluth, I thought UND played a very good game tonight against a very good team. I'm headed to bed, long day ahead tomorrow with UND FOOTBALL, then UND HOCKEY! I hope to find time to get a McRib sometime tomorrow too. Peace out Sioux fans!

I didn't think the game was as close as the score would indicate, the Bulldogs scored both of their goals on the PP and the top line for both goals.

Thoughts tonight:

The penalty that the Bulldogs were called for at the end of Third period for shooting the puck after the whistle was a terrible call. Whether that happens to the Sioux or the opposition, I hate seeing a weak penalty like that ruin a tight and exciting game. It was unfortunate that penalty was called but it obviously helped the Sioux.

I thought the defensive depth really showed how deep the Sioux are at defense. Simpson and Gleason both played pretty solid games and limited making mistakes; they kept their games simple. I sure like Gleason's speed and his ability to skate with the puck. I like how he likes to lead the Sioux breakout and get the puck out and then make a play in the neutral zone by either making a pass or dumping the puck in deep.

The line of Trupp, Rodwell and I believe Nelson had some great shifts from the second period on. Rodwell brings good energy to the team and seems to always finish he checks while getting his nose dirty in front of the net and battling for position to generate garbage goals. I really like Nelson's game; I think it's a matter of time before he starts putting the puck in the net. He just needs to get that first one and I think he's confidence will sky rocket from there.

Dell made the saves when he had to despite only seeing a limited number of shots. I wouldn't mind seeming him play tomorrow night, but I am sure Eidsness will get a game in this weekend as well.

Lastly, even though Knight scored that empty-net goal at the end of the game, I really wanted him to chip that puck over to Kristo, so that he could get off the scoring slump and get an easy goal to get the pressure off his chest. Kristo's effort has shown throughout most of the games this year, at times he hangs on to the puck too long but I like the fact that the kid likes shoot the puck. For the Sioux to really be a dominant team this year, obviously Kristo needs to start scoring. I am not to worried about it right now, I know it'll happen, he's too good of a player not to be scoring goals.

A sweep would be nice, but I am happy that at least the Sioux can come out this wekend with at least a split. I think tomorrow's night will be another close game. If the Sioux play a full 60 minute game tomorrow I think they'll get the victory. After watching the Bulldogs play tonight I feel the Sioux are the better team.

Go Sioux!

That game wasn't as close as the scoreboard would lead one to believe. There were several segments during which the Sioux were doing absolutely anything they wanted to do with the puck. With a bounce or two in the crease the game might've been 7 or 8 - 2.

Simpson and Gleason did nothing wrong, really. Their first shift out they both were a little tentative, but after that they played a great game. Hakstol was juggling lines all night: I think every line but Knight's was changed out at some point. Trupp was everywhere, and finally got a goal in The Ralph (he claims he didn't get one all of last year!)

To limit the Dogs to just 16 shots is quite an accomplishment; they've averaged almost 32 per game up 'til tonight.

To play a game like that with MacWilliam, Forbert and Malone out of the lineup says a lot about the depth and discipline on the Sioux. Finish the sweep Saturday and that's a big statement weekend.

This, in my opinion, was UND's best game yet.

Dell was strong and made every save he should have and then stole one or two as well despite facing minimal shots. The first goal got deflected down low and was a pretty tough puck to prevent from going in, and the 2nd was pure awesomeness by UMD's top line. Goaltending will be a huge factor late in the season and I really think Dell can be our go-to guy.

The offense, while only putting up three contested goals, controlled most of the game. I think this team will figure out how to score a ton of goals by the end of the year. Look at how many highly skilled guys we have that have no goals or even just one goal.

Lastly, the defense was pretty solid. They only got caught flat-footed on that one picture-perfect goal by UMD in the third, but it was also while they were on the PK, and you can't really fault anyone for the nice goal the 'Dogs had on it.

UMD is a bit overrated in my opinion, although still a very nice team. They are a bit top-heavy, so if you can shot down the Connelly-Connelly-Fontaine line, they are a team that is very beatable, as the Sioux showed.

Also, the Badgers and Denver both have shown pretty good signs in the early going. They've beaten some decent teams and seem to be getting some nice help from their young guys. BC exposed Denver, but that was very early season matchup.

Let's bring the brooms and raise our sticks tomorrow.

Thoughts tonight:

The penalty that the Bulldogs were called for at the end of Third period for shooting the puck after the whistle was a terrible call. Whether that happens to the Sioux or the opposition, I hate seeing a weak penalty like that ruin a tight and exciting game. It was unfortunate that penalty was called but it obviously helped the Sioux.

I thought the defensive depth really showed how deep the Sioux are at defense. Simpson and Gleason both played pretty solid games and limited making mistakes; they kept their games simple. I sure like Gleason's speed and his ability to skate with the puck. I like how he likes to lead the Sioux breakout and get the puck out and then make a play in the neutral zone by either making a pass or dumping the puck in deep.

The line of Trupp, Rodwell and I believe Nelson had some great shifts from the second period on. Rodwell brings good energy to the team and seems to always finish he checks while getting his nose dirty in front of the net and battling for position to generate garbage goals. I really like Nelson's game; I think it's a matter of time before he starts putting the puck in the net. He just needs to get that first one and I think he's confidence will sky rocket from there.

Dell made the saves when he had to despite only seeing a limited number of shots. I wouldn't mind seeming him play tomorrow night, but I am sure Eidsness will get a game in this weekend as well.

Lastly, even though Knight scored that empty-net goal at the end of the game, I really wanted him to chip that puck over to Kristo, so that he could get off the scoring slump and get an easy goal to get the pressure off his chest. Kristo's effort has shown throughout most of the games this year, at times he hangs on to the puck too long but I like the fact that the kid likes shoot the puck. For the Sioux to really be a dominant team this year, obviously Kristo needs to start scoring. I am not to worried about it right now, I know it'll happen, he's too good of a player not to be scoring goals.

A sweep would be nice, but I am happy that at least the Sioux can come out this wekend with at least a split. I think tomorrow's night will be another close game. If the Sioux play a full 60 minute game tomorrow I think they'll get the victory. After watching the Bulldogs play tonight I feel the Sioux are the better team.

Go Sioux!

I have to totally disagree with you on the last Bulldog penalty. When the Duluth player entered the zone offsides, the blew before he even passed it all the way across the ice to the other player. Then that player hesitated for a moment and then shot it at Dell. He obviously heard the whistle. (I did, and I'm almost deaf) And If he didn't hear the whistle blow, why didn't he skate the puck in another 10 or 15 feet before he shot it, since there was no defensive pressure on him? - In fact, I had enough time to make myself another drink between the time the puck entered the zone and the time the Duluth player shot it at Dell. :D

Now if you really want to bitch about a penalty....what about the phantom call on Gregoire that gave Duluth the powerplay goal in the last 5 minutes that they scored on? All he did was finish his check on a player that had the puck at his feet. And after the way we lost at Duluth last year, that bogus call could have turned out to be catastrophic.

And just to be completely fair... The first penalty of the game on Duluth was total B.S. But it did not end in a goal and had no affect on the outcome of the game.

Go Sioux....Get the Sweep!!!

Although there wasn't a ton of shots on goal or highlight reel plays that was probably one of the better sioux games I've been at the Ralph for. There was a moment in the second period where I turned to my wife and said "This is two pretty good hockey teams going at it".

I can't comment on the penalty at the end. I was in the upper bowl.....didn't hear the whistle at all....did anybody in the lower bowl definitely hear the whistle? (Be Honest! :lol: )

I think Dell should get another start tomorrow night. Ride whats working for you.

It was a makeup call for the ridiculous call on Gregiore that led to UMD's 2nd goal.

It's not a rule?

I didn't hear the whistle, but the Sioux players didn't like the shot. I'm not saying that it should be called at that point of the game, but I don't think it was a makeup call either.