SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

An article published in this morining's Raleigh News and Observer on Charlie Pelnik:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/01/11/912384/cary-teen-making-mark-in-hockey.html

He was awarded a full scholarship from UND, is only 15, and born and raised in the Raleigh area.

Thanks for the link. Pelnik seems quite impressed with UND....

"It's just an awesome place for hockey," Pelnik said. "North Dakota hockey is sort of like the Duke or UNC of basketball."

"When you think about the players who have gone to North Dakota, it's sort of intimidating in a way," Pelnik said. "We've gone up there [Grand Forks] twice to visit the campus. The hockey atmosphere there just blows you away."

The kind of stuff I love hearing about my alma mater. :D

per brad

bob mckenzie has his top nhl draft top 60 and hm list out. mid season rankings.

list

28. J.T. Miller

31. Rocco Grimaldi

65. Dillon Simpson

By the way Simpson is playing and growing this year, I'm surprised that he's not higher. I mean Forbort went top 15 and really isn't seeing much time on the PP, where as Simpson is getting a lot more chances there. Either way, i could careless when they get drafted, I'd prefer 2-3rd rounders so we see them for 3-4 years.

By the way Simpson is playing and growing this year, I'm surprised that he's not higher. I mean Forbort went top 15 and really isn't seeing much time on the PP, where as Simpson is getting a lot more chances there. Either way, i could careless when they get drafted, I'd prefer 2-3rd rounders so we see them for 3-4 years.

i know you arent knocking him but being the 64th ranked best player in the world for that age group isnt that bad. i see that only improving by draft day!

simpson was rated higher a year or two ago and yes since his ice time has gone up twice as much he is rising back up. if it keeps up i see him as a 2nd rounder and grimaldi and miller 1st rounders. i guess we will see. if anything all 3 should be drafted in the first 2 rounds whereever they go. what i noticed about simpson last weekend is his ability to make the simple pass out of the zone and also he made some very poised plays on the pp as he saw lots of 2nd unit time. he made mistakes but lets remember he doesnt turn 18 until next month. go find me another 17 yr old on the 2nd pp unit on a #2 national ranked team. very impressive from what we saw early. from the sounds, the duo of grimaldi and miller sound like the real deal

i know you arent knocking him but being the 64th ranked best player in the world for that age group isnt that bad. i see that only improving by draft day!

simpson was rated higher a year or two ago and yes since his ice time has gone up twice as much he is rising back up. if it keeps up i see him as a 2nd rounder and grimaldi and miller 1st rounders. i guess we will see. if anything all 3 should be drafted in the first 2 rounds whereever they go. what i noticed about simpson last weekend is his ability to make the simple pass out of the zone and also he made some very poised plays on the pp as he saw lots of 2nd unit time. he made mistakes but lets remember he doesnt turn 18 until next month. go find me another 17 yr old on the 2nd pp unit on a #2 national ranked team. very impressive from what we saw early. from the sounds, the duo of grimaldi and miller sound like the real deal

Exactly, he has made some mistakes, but will come with the territory. Higher league and tougher competition will do that. Certainly 64th ranked isn't too shabby at all, I was just surprised to not see him creeping into the top 30 and we may see that. My predictions is he'll go mid 2nd round, no lower. Man, we got some great recruits coming in. But more importantly, with the integrity that Rocco sounds like he has, it will be a treat and great benefit to have him on our team.

FUTURE COMMITED RECRUITS

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana - USHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#180) - CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

MICHAEL PARKS - F - Cedar Rapids - USHL - 11' - Drafted 5th Rd. (#149) - PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#156) - TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

ZANE GOTHBERG - G - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' / 12' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#165) - BOSTON BRUINS

COLTEN ST. CLAIR - F - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' (2011 Draft Prospect)

MARK MACMILLIN - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 4th Rd. (#113) - MONTREAL CANADIENS

ROCCO GRIMALDI - F - US U18 NTDP - (2011 draft prospepct)

JACK ROWE - F - Team Illinois MIDGET - 12' / 13'

MILES KOULES - F - US U17 / 12' - 13'

JORDAN SCHMALTZ - D - Sioux City - USHL - 12'

JT MILLER - F - USNDPT 18 - 11' / 12' - (2011 Draft Prospect)

STEPHAN MATTEAU - F - USNDPT 17 - 12'

CHARLIE PELNIK - D - Carolina Junior Hurricanes AAA - 13'

ANDREW PANZARELLA - D - Waterloo Blackhawks - USHL - 11'

hak is covering the nation in recruiting. the current team has many states represented and in the near future you can throw some brand new states in the mix.

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana - USHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#180) - CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - MINNESOTA

MICHAEL PARKS - F - Cedar Rapids - USHL - 11' - Drafted 5th Rd. (#149) - PHILADELPHIA FLYERS - MISSOURI

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#156) - TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING - CANADA

ZANE GOTHBERG - G - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' / 12' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#165) - BOSTON BRUINS - MINNESOTA

COLTEN ST. CLAIR - F - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' (2011 Draft Prospect) - ARIZONA

MARK MACMILLIN - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 4th Rd. (#113) - MONTREAL CANADIENS - CANADA

ROCCO GRIMALDI - F - US U18 NTDP - (2011 draft prospepct) - ive seem him listed both MICHIGAN / CALIFORNIA

JACK ROWE - F - Team Illinois MIDGET - 12' / 13' - ILLINOIS

MILES KOULES - F - US U17 / 12' - 13' - CALIFORNIA

JORDAN SCHMALTZ - D - Sioux City - USHL - 12' - WISCONSIN

JT MILLER - F - USNDPT 18 - 11' / 12' - (2011 Draft Prospect) - OHIO

STEPHAN MATTEAU - F - USNDPT 17 - 12' - ILLINOIS

CHARLIE PELNIK - D - Carolina Junior Hurricanes AAA - 13' - NORTH CAROLINA

ANDREW PANZARELLA - D - Waterloo Blackhawks - USHL - 11' - MARYLAND

hak is covering the nation in recruiting. the current team has many states represented and in the near future you can throw some brand new states in the mix.

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana - USHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#180) - CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - MINNESOTA

MICHAEL PARKS - F - Cedar Rapids - USHL - 11' - Drafted 5th Rd. (#149) - PHILADELPHIA FLYERS - MISSOURI

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#156) - TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING - CANADA

ZANE GOTHBERG - G - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' / 12' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#165) - BOSTON BRUINS - MINNESOTA

COLTEN ST. CLAIR - F - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' (2011 Draft Prospect) - ARIZONA

MARK MACMILLIN - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 4th Rd. (#113) - MONTREAL CANADIENS - CANADA

ROCCO GRIMALDI - F - US U18 NTDP - (2011 draft prospepct) - MICHIGAN

JACK ROWE - F - Team Illinois MIDGET - 12' / 13' - ILLINOIS

MILES KOULES - F - US U17 / 12' - 13' - CALIFORNIA

JORDAN SCHMALTZ - D - Sioux City - USHL - 12' - WISCONSIN

JT MILLER - F - USNDPT 18 - 11' / 12' - (2011 Draft Prospect) - PENNSYLVANIA

STEPHAN MATTEAU - F - USNDPT 17 - 12' - ILLINOIS

CHARLIE PELNIK - D - Carolina Junior Hurricanes AAA - 13' - NORTH CAROLINA

ANDREW PANZARELLA - D - Waterloo Blackhawks - USHL - 11' - MARYLAND

Oh how our team is changing. Great point by the way. Gopher fans always rip on Sioux teams that were just a bunch of Canadians. I didn't care, I just want the best players who understand the culture of UND hockey. Now we're truly becoming a US team. 12 of the 14 from the US, just amazing. Goes to show how US hockey development is booming.

Oh how our team is changing. Great point by the way. Gopher fans always rip on Sioux teams that were just a bunch of Canadians. I didn't care, I just want the best players who understand the culture of UND hockey. Now we're truly becoming a US team. 12 of the 14 from the US, just amazing. Goes to show how US hockey development is booming.

i just corrected one mistake i had with miller. hes ohio not penn

and yes how it is changing. arizona's youth hockey has grown so much along with california ect....untraditional hockey hot beds are producing big time wcha talent. when i moved there when i was 10 in 1991 there maybe were a few rinks that you could get icetime in.

i believe du, cc and und will all have arizona players in the next 2 years and there could be more overlooked

friday

panzarella 1a, 6 pim in ot loss

n mattson 2a in ot win

schmaltz 1g in loss

parks 1g in win

odonnell 1g in loss

macmillin 2a in loss

saturday

matteau 1a in win

panzarella 15 pim, fighting major in ot loss - look at 15:48 mark on scoresheet, sounds like a heck of a scrap broke out. jamie hill had himself a heck of a time it seems. ha score sheet

st clair 1a in win. gothberg didnt even dress. anyone have info on him? sick? injured? or just helathy scratch?

n mattson 2a in win

friday

panzarella 1a, 6 pim in ot loss

n mattson 2a in ot win

schmaltz 1g in loss

parks 1g in win

odonnell 1g in loss

macmillin 2a in loss

saturday

matteau 1a in win

panzarella 15 pim, fighting major in ot loss - look at 15:48 mark on scoresheet, sounds like a heck of a scrap broke out. jamie hill had himself a heck of a time it seems. ha score sheet

st clair 1a in win. gothberg didnt even dress. anyone have info on him? sick? injured? or just helathy scratch?

n mattson 2a in win

I watched some Youtube footage of Panzarella. WOW, is it different in the USHL. They take their helmets off, move their pads, take their time, then fight. Compare that to NCAA hockey, where the refs would have jumped on you far before that. It must be hard for guys who are used to that to come to college hockey.

I watched some Youtube footage of Panzarella. WOW, is it different in the USHL. They take their helmets off, move their pads, take their time, then fight. Compare that to NCAA hockey, where the refs would have jumped on you far before that. It must be hard for guys who are used to that to come to college hockey.

panzarella fight

panzarella vs a brunuteau - good one

They also let them go at the Little Caesar's tournament at the Ralph. I would think the NCAA would butt their noses into that somehow and make it even harder to win recruiting wars with Major Junior.

It was certainly weird seeing a fight this weekend, as I was at a WHL game. I also love the name PANZARella, sounds extremely familiar....!

I started thinking about next year and the players coming in. With four senior forwards (Frattin, Trupp, Malone, Davidson) and three senior defensemen (Marto LaPoint, Genoway) gone for sure, it seems a little strange that we only have one defenseman coming in. Let me know if I'm missing something but what I see coming in next year is:

Nick Mattson (D), Mark MacMillan (F), Michael Parks (F), Rocco Grimaldi (F), JT Miller (F), Colton St Clair (F), Brendan O'Dponnel (F).

If things stay where they are today and noone leaves early that leaves us with

Defensemen: MacWilliam, Forbort, Blood, Simpson, Gleason, Mattson, Hill. So only 7 defensemen with Hill never really playing and Gleason hardly playing D this year.

Forwards: Lamoureux, Gregoire, Hextall, Kristo, Knight, Rowney, Rodwell, Nelson, Cichy, Bruneteau, Dickin, MacMillan, Parks, Grimaldi, Miller, St Clair, and O'Donnell. So 17 forwards. Man that's a lot of forwards.

Goalies: Dell, Eidsness, Maris (I'm assuming they leave Gotheberg play another year in the USHL. So that leaves us with a 27 man roster.

Am I missing an incoming defensemen or is Gleason expected to play regularly and somehow Hill has developed into a reliable backup without ever playing a game?

I'm actually fine with Gleason playing everyday. He performed well last year but I think we need one more defensemen on this team.

And looking at the forwards man are there a lot of good players going to be sitting every game unless some leave due to not getting the playing time they'd hoped for.

Thoughts?

Well they picked up Panzarella so they have at least one more defenseman coming in. USHL though not BCHL or AHL. I'm guessing we might even sign one more unless Hill is progressing.

tuesday

n mattson 1g in win (ot game winnner)

parks 1a in loss

wednesday

macmillin 1g, 2a in win

odonnell 1g in win

QUESTION......what is the highest jersey number a sioux player has ever worn?? i see odonnell wears 91. wonder if he will get that as i dont remember any high numbers and they just became way more popular with the crosby era. the great one started it but it didnt really catch on until this new era of the nhl

QUESTION......what is the highest jersey number a sioux player has ever worn?? i see odonnell wears 91. wonder if he will get that as i dont remember any high numbers and they just became way more popular with the crosby era. the great one started it but it didnt really catch on until this new era of the nhl

According to the hockey media guide, Robert Grina wore #37 from 1946-49. However, there is a list of players whose numbers are unknown.