SiouxSports.com Forum

Dusting off an old thread: Fire Hakstol?

Goon

My old age might be befouling my memory a bit here, but I don't recall Hakstol skating a shift lately.

Coaches coach and players play.

Time for this team to show what they've got.

As I said before, I don't expect a championship from this team: too young, too inexperienced.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By losing to a very bad Gophers team this weekend it seems the Fighting Sioux have hit an all time new low this weekend.

Seriously, do you remember 2001-02?

I've been to Mariucci and been embarrassed at least 2 other times this decade. As for seasons, we've had worse this decade than we will this year.

I can understand people being unhappy. I also expected more this weekend than what we got. But suddenly it seems the sky is falling. Funny how things have changed. As choyt3 said, Blais probably isn't being called on at GPL that much today, but suddenly he is at SS.

This is how myths are created from legends.

I love Blais, but he's not the only good coach out there.

Someone else asked about whether Hakstol is a good motivator. I'll repeat what a former player told me, when I asked him a couple of years ago (after a dismal first half of the season) why I should be patient and be optimistic about the 2nd half. The talk involved Hakstol and his answer to me was "Because I know how good of a coach he is". After that season, and a Frozen Four run, I had to give him his credit because he was right.

I'm not banking on a 2nd half surge like we've seen. Maybe we'll get it, maybe we won't. Even if by design, I'm sure it can't happen every year. But I've seen enough, and heard enough from people with first hand experience to know that Hakstol can get the job done. I'm not going to be pushing him off the cliff because of this weekend.

I think goaltending is holding the Sioux back. I am very concerned about goaltending situation at UND and I think Eids has gotten a free pass this season. People jumped down my throat because I said he was the weak link and not as good as KG, Parise or JPL. looks like I was spot on. I do think Hak needs to bring in a new goalie next season if Dell and Eids can't play consistent enough to win games. After the third goal Dell should have been in the game. It's almost as if Hak is afraid to bench or pull Eids. I mean, unless Dell is hurt. I have liked what Dell has shown me in 2/3 of his games.

Were you "spot on" in your own mind alone? Or was there someone else inside your head too? Look at the stats below. Out of the 8 goals scored against him this weekend, 1 was his fault(the last one). I'd even partially concede the 3rd goal that went off Lapoint's noggin, but not completely. Do you remember a few years ago at The Ralph when JPL let in a goal off the glass behind him because he lost track of the puck, which coincidentally, flew over the net, off JPL, and into the goal. Goofy stuff happens all the time. No one remembers the save Eidsness made against Cepis with about 10 to go in the game on Friday on the partial breakaway.

Jordan Parise Stats:

2003-04 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.05/0.908

2004-05 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.10/0.919

2005-06 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.08/0.933

JPL Stats:

2004-05 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.19/0.914

2005-06 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.61/0.911

2006-07 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.42/0.913

2007-08 U. of North Dakota NCAA 1.75/0.932

Eidsness Stats:

2008-09 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.56/0.906

2009-10 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.29/0.906

On to Dell:

He may be a good goaltender, but no one really knows. All I know is he's got the same save % as Eidsness and gave up a terribly weak goal against SCSU. 7 SOG, 4 Saves. Impressive line there.

My Conclusion:

Let's let Eidsness get to be a junior/senior before you run him out of town. It's the same thing people were saying about JPL when him and Parise were splitting time. Those 2 seemed to end up doing pretty well for us. Goehring is the only one IMO who is a few notches above these 3.

Were you "spot on" in your own mind alone? Or was there someone else inside your head too? Jordan Parise Stats:

2003-04 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.05/0.908

2004-05 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.10/0.919

2005-06 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.08/0.933

JPL Stats:

2004-05 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.19/0.914

2005-06 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.61/0.911

2006-07 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.42/0.913

2007-08 U. of North Dakota NCAA 1.75/0.932

Eidsness Stats:

2008-09 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.56/0.906

2009-10 U. of North Dakota NCAA 2.29/0.906

On to Dell:

He may be a good goaltender, but no one really knows. All I know is he's got the same save % as Eidsness and gave up a terribly weak goal against SCSU. 7 SOG, 4 Saves. Impressive line there.

My Conclusion:

Let's let Eidsness get to be a junior/senior before you run him out of town. It's the same thing people were saying about JPL when him and Parise were splitting time. Those 2 seemed to end up doing pretty well for us. Goehring is the only one IMO who is a few notches above these 3.

Can you make a point without attacking someone? There is no one in my F'N but me. You just proved my point that Eids insn't as good as the two fore mentioned goalies. Look at the stats and GAA. Significant diffence in their goals against averages. Seriously, I won't be running anyone out of town.

I get tired of everyone trying to blame the forwards for the loses all the time and everyone sticking up for the goalie that is stinking up the joint. Go back and watch the Wisconsin goal after the Sioux tied the game. That was all goalie same as goal number 5 last night.

Dagies I fixed my post. By losing to a very bad Gophers team this weekend it seems the Fighting Sioux have hit an all time new low this weekend for this season.

I say this tongue in cheek but I also feel it

Someone else asked about whether Hakstol is a good motivator. I'll repeat what a former player told me, when I asked him a couple of years ago (after a dismal first half of the season) why I should be patient and be optimistic about the 2nd half. The talk involved Hakstol and his answer to me was "Because I know how good of a coach he is". After that season, and a Frozen Four run, I had to give him his credit because he was right.

I agree with what you said fully. Just adding my two cents in.. If a player cannot motivate himself for a series/game like that, I don't want him on my team. All it should take for those guys to get up for the game is one word, Gophers. Now I'm not saying that was the problem this weekend by any means. Yes a coach is supposed to motivate a team, but he can only do so much it's up to the players to step up and get things rolling.

And as for that for sale sign in Hak's front lawn, 0% class, probably some drunk know it all who thinks he/she is the funniest thing since Steve Martin.

Seriously, do you remember 2001-02?

I've been to Mariucci and been embarrassed at least 2 other times this decade. As for seasons, we've had worse this decade than we will this year.

I can understand people being unhappy. I also expected more this weekend than what we got. But suddenly it seems the sky is falling. Funny how things have changed. As choyt3 said, Blais probably isn't being called on at GPL that much today, but suddenly he is at SS.

This is how myths are created from legends.

I love Blais, but he's not the only good coach out there.

I'm not banking on a 2nd half surge like we've seen. Maybe we'll get it, maybe we won't. Even if by design, I'm sure it can't happen every year. But I've seen enough, and heard enough from people with first hand experience to know that Hakstol can get the job done. I'm not going to be pushing him off the cliff because of this weekend.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Check out a tread from 2001. Short & to the point. Seems quite similiar.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?sho...0&#entry207

one analogy here is how long did it take coach k to win a title at duke? what 10-12 years? he also went to a boatload of final fours before he got one and once he did he won like what three in the 90's? I know this isn't bb but still. hak is a good coach. I know we went into a defensive shell friday night the last 9 minutes or so of regulation and it cost us the lead, if we wouldn't have and stayed aggressive and still got burned the same people on here would be crying that we should have gone to a more defensive style. hak just can't win.

Venting is healthy, but its time to get over the loss.

It was the first time all year that we lost by more than a goal, and it was against our arch rival and fellow national powerhouse. If memory serves me even the Hrkac Circus lost a game at Mariucci.

The Gophers are a much better team with that Cepis, so their record pre-cepis should be discounted in evaluating them.

We all knew that we were a young team with moderate (by our standards) realistic expectations. Top it off with Chay and Hexy being out of the lineup...what can we expect? Hak can't make Chay's head and Hexy's leg better.

All that said, I still hate the cycle approach to offensive zone work, and It stl hurts to not have won. The loss to DU with the Parise team in the Regional and the loss to BC with the DOT line are probably more on Hak AND Blais than this weekend was.

I agree with what you said fully. Just adding my two cents in.. If a player cannot motivate himself for a series/game like that, I don't want him on my team. All it should take for those guys to get up for the game is one word, Gophers. Now I'm not saying that was the problem this weekend by any means. Yes a coach is supposed to motivate a team, but he can only do so much it's up to the players to step up and get things rolling.

I'm not much of a hockey-mind, but being at most of the games this season including Friday night I feel that, in additon to not having Genoway for several months now, losing Hextall's intensity and leadership has dealt a blow to the confidence of this squad. They played with no fire on Friday, and were lucky to get out of Marriucci with a tie. If they would have hung on for the win, I would have almost felt guilty.

This thread is a joke. I don't care if it's tongue-in-cheek, created because it's "healthy to vent", etc.

Hakstol should go NOWHERE. What has he done with his five and a half seasons?

4 Frozen Fours

1 MacNaughton

1 Broadmoor

0 Missed Tourneys

Consistently ranked in the top 10

It's insane to think that Hakstol "should" have won a title by now just because we are North Dakota and have had great talent. There have been much more talented teams over the past 5 years that haven't won the crown. No one has been as consistent as this school since he became our coach.

Now, take this season. It's the youngest one we've had since 05-06 (which had a much more talented class), we've lost our Captain/Pts Leader (at the time)/Hobey Candidate for more than half our games, another senior has missed time, our last senior mentioned has failed to live up to expectations, Hextall has been out, Kristo missed a couple games for WJC, and we've had a pretty hard schedule. All that AND we are still a top 10 team in the country, despite our failure to live up to WCHA expectations at this point.

This season isn't over, yet many are treating it as such. Blais never got stomped once by the Gophers at Mariucci? How 'bout Gasparini? Hak has a WINNING record against the Gophs since his time here, he's obviously done something right. Who knows, maybe this horrible season we are having will be the one where Hak gets his glory in the end, and all you idiots can shut up...hopefully permanently.

Rant over.

This thread is a joke. I don't care if it's tongue-in-cheek, created because it's "healthy to vent", etc.

This season isn't over, yet many are treating it as such. Blais never got stomped once by the Gophers at Mariucci? How 'bout Gasparini? Hak has a WINNING record against the Gophs since his time here, he's obviously done something right. Who knows, maybe this horrible season we are having will be the one where Hak gets his glory in the end, and all you idiots can shut up...hopefully permanently.

Rant over.

yep if I recall the 97 team got stomped twice at mariucci.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Check out a tread from 2001. Short & to the point. Seems quite similiar.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?sho...0&#entry207

I'm not sure I get your point. The 01-02 season was really quite disappointing. Coming off back-to-back visits to the national championship game, finished under .500 and season ended by being swept by the Gophers in the WCHA tournament play-in round.

Were fans not supposed to be disappointed in that season? The Sioux weren't very good and fans were discussing such, I really don't know what else anyone could expect ;)

I'm not sure I get your point. The 01-02 season was really quite disappointing. Finished under .500 and season ended by being swept by the Gophers in the WCHA tournament play-in round.

Were fans not supposed to be disappointed in that season? The Sioux weren't very good and fans were discussing such, I really don't know what else anyone could expect ;)

I won't claim to speak for Speez, but the point I got was that some people on this forum deify Blais and act like he could do no wrong. Suggest that if Blais were still coaching at UND they would have won multiple National Championships during the past 5 years that Hak has actually been coaching. And suggest that the current team would have some special "killer instinct" that they don't have now to win games this season. Yet the same type comments, currently being made about Hakstol, were then being made about Blais. So maybe Blais isn't the perfect coach either. Blais led teams had problems of their own and many of them failed to live up to expectations, whether reasonable or not. Both Blais and Hakstol are very good college hockey coaches, and both have been great for the University of North Dakota.

I won't claim to speak for Speez, but the point I got was that some people on this forum deify Blais and act like he could do no wrong. Suggest that if Blais were still coaching at UND they would have won multiple National Championships during the past 5 years that Hak has actually been coaching. And suggest that the current team would have some special "killer instinct" that they don't have now to win games this season. Yet the same type comments, currently being made about Hakstol, were then being made about Blais. So maybe Blais isn't the perfect coach either. Blais led teams had problems of their own and many of them failed to live up to expectations, whether reasonable or not. Both Blais and Hakstol are very good college hockey coaches, and both have been great for the University of North Dakota.

That makes sense. I read it as a criticism of the fans for being critical of the team that season (i.e. "these fans are so silly they even criticized one of Blais's teams!"). Looking at it instead as a reminder that Blais had stinkers, too, it's a shining example ;):huh:

Once, just once, can I see the team establish a two-goal lead and then make a serious attempt to extend it to three or four or more.

When they go "trap" or "defensive" or "third-man high" or "lock" or whatever name you want to call it the players all look like they are thinking and not playing. When they're playing they have the puck on their stick ... and friends, that is the best defense.

Once, just once, can I see the team establish a two-goal lead and then make a serious attempt to extend it to three or four or more.

When they go "trap" or "defensive" or "third-man high" or "lock" or whatever name you want to call it the players all look like they are thinking and not playing. When they're playing they have the puck on their stick ... and friends, that is the best defense.

Exactly. I don't dislike Hak. I just think he has a confusing coaching style. This team is at it's best when it just goes and goes! That's why I've asked..what is our identity/system under Hak? There isn't all this "man love" for Dean as some think, but again you knew what you were going to get consistantly night in and out...a fast skating team that was looking to score regardless if they were up or down 3.

At some point you have to mold your system to take advantage of the talent you have. This is not a lock down, defensive bunch. They play good transition D, but not this "trap" garbage.

Let 'em fly, Hak!

Have to agree. This team has shown a remarkable lack of killer instinct when they get a lead. Maybe it's because they're young, etc., but there's nothing wrong with playing a full-60 minute game and trying to bury your opponent.