SiouxSports.com Forum

Dusting off an old thread: Fire Hakstol?

Goon

It is a 24 hour job. Hak is always the head coach of UND hockey. He must constantly sell it, promote it, and be an ambassador of it. He doesn't get to leave work at the office, so the freebies he gets in terms of rounds of golf, drinks, lunches, etc are all work related. I have no problem with his salary.

PR time at the golf course? I could live with that.

And no I don't have a problem with it. I do think they have a pretty good working schedule during the summer. But you get the good with the bad.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that's one way to do it, but I'm guessing a hands on approach with the goalie coach there during games and practices would be more productive. Instant feedback as opposed to a mail it in approach. We have lots of former tenders and some in the area that would probably donate their time to help out with our goalies. I've heard Pierre Lamoureux is a great technical goalie and he's in town. Anyone ever ask him? He did a pretty good job with Phil... I'm not trying to volunteer him, I'm just saying we have some good past goalies that could help out with minimal costs to the program. The cost/benefit might be worth the effort.

I would like to see Bill Howard coaching.

Hmm, while that is better than nothing, an actual coach would probably work a lot better. Unless these video coachs have been working with BE/Dell for a while i.e. before coming to UND.

Usually these coaches have been working with the goalies for many years. That's why they don't want to bring in another coach, the goalies trust the coaches they have.

I would like to see Bill Howard coaching.

I doubt a Badger would become a Sioux.....maybe if the price was right, but there is a good example of a great goalie coach.

About the Coach:

- Assistant coach and Goalie coach at the University of Wisconsin for 36 years who tests, uses and updates his teaching methods every year while coaching at all age levels year round.

- Developed 8 NHL goalies who have been outstanding goalies in the NHL, including Jim Carey, Mike Richter and Curtis Joseph and present NHL Ottawa goalie Brian Elliott.

- Developed 8 NCAA Division I All American Goalies, including an All American in 2004 and in 2006

- Involved as an assistant/goalie coach in all 6 of Wisconsin

I guess that's one way to do it, but I'm guessing a hands on approach with the goalie coach there during games and practices would be more productive. Instant feedback as opposed to a mail it in approach. We have lots of former tenders and some in the area that would probably donate their time to help out with our goalies. I've heard Pierre Lamoureux is a great technical goalie and he's in town. Anyone ever ask him? He did a pretty good job with Phil... I'm not trying to volunteer him, I'm just saying we have some good past goalies that could help out with minimal costs to the program. The cost/benefit might be worth the effort.

There is a limit on the number of coaches, both paid and volunteer, that can work with the team. They already have a full slate of coaches so they would have to eliminate a different coach to add a goalie coach whether it is paid or not.

The other reason that they have resisted adding a goalie coach is that there are different styles of playing goalie. And coaches kind of specialize in a style. So they have let the goalies use their own coach , who they have worked with for years and who they trust, rather than bring in a separate coach that may or may not work well with the 3 individuals that are playing goalie.

Usually these coaches have been working with the goalies for many years. That's why they don't want to bring in another coach, the goalies trust the coaches they have.

Eids better start questioning his goalie coach. I'm not seeing a lot of improvement in his game; if anything he's regressed. To me it's a lack of concentration as well as fundamentals. I don't think it's anything that can't be fixed, but I don't see anyone fixing it as he's making similar mistakes to last year. I thought he was pretty decent last year too, until the playoffs started, then I'm not sure what happened but he didn't look like the same goalie. His numbers are good, yes, but on this team most goalies are going to have decent numbers. They really should be up around .920 instead of .901. My two cents....don't come down on me for it...you know what they say about opinions. ;)

Eids better start questioning his goalie coach. I'm not seeing a lot of improvement in his game; if anything he's regressed. To me it's a lack of concentration as well as fundamentals. I don't think it's anything that can't be fixed, but I don't see anyone fixing it as he's making similar mistakes to last year. I thought he was pretty decent last year too, until the playoffs started, then I'm not sure what happened but he didn't look like the same goalie. His numbers are good, yes, but on this team most goalies are going to have decent numbers. They really should be up around .920 instead of .901. My two cents....don't come down on me for it...you know what they say about opinions. ;)

I think a lot of goalies in the WCHA either stagnate or regress a little bit during there sophomore year. They start hot as freshmen and then the other teams start to learn their tendencies. Next it is up to the goalies to make the adjustments and learn. The real test for goalies seems to be whether they make progress going into their junior year.

I think a lot of goalies in the WCHA either stagnate or regress a little bit during there sophomore year. They start hot as freshmen and then the other teams start to learn their tendencies. Next it is up to the goalies to make the adjustments and learn. The real test for goalies seems to be whether they make progress going into their junior year.

Exactly. As a Freshman there is a new element to your game that expierenced shooters are not used to. Sophomore year there is a lot of film or they have gotten an idea of your reaction and then you learn to change your game a little with each performance to each different set of shooters.

I can live with him giving up 2 goals a game as long we score 3 which shouldn't be a problem with all the supoosed flipping talent we have.

I have to admit as a Fighting Sioux fan I am not very happy with this season and what has transpired on the ice. I have tried to keep a positive spin on a potentially disastrous season, but it’s going to be hard to remain positive after what I say last night. I would call the game “the melt down in Minneapolis”. Our top defenseman, the glue that binds Chay Genoway is on the shelf with no improvement in sight. Our defense has huge upside but look like pylons at times. Last night they looked like road cones against the Gophers skated by them on the big ice. Our goaltending has been brutal. Fighting Sioux fans are unhappy.

By losing to a very bad Gophers team this weekend it seems the Fighting Sioux have hit an all time new low this weekend for this season. This next weekend is a defining moment in their season; proverbial gut check time. Some want to blame the coach.

*I say this tongue in cheek but I also feel it’s a legitimate topic for discussion. The head coach is making a lot of money to get results and the results are not there this season. All is not lost yet!

Just throwing this out there . . .

I can't believe there are even people out there that think we should be firing Hak. Sure he hasn't won a title yet, but look at what he has done. He has a great record, been to multiple frozen fours, won the WCHA title, won the WCHA final five. Sure they are having a rough go this season but lets remember they still have a lot of time to do a lot of things, not to mention they are playing without some big talent. A lot of teams would love to be in our position right now (ranked #6) - not to bad.

Now, i liked Blais too and it would be cool to see him coach the Sioux again, but Hak is certainly deserving of his position.

With how many one goal losses this team has right now, they are a few mistakes away from be a very dangerous team. That is what Hak has built a legacy on is correcting first half mistakes, lets give him a little time, and if it doesn't work out, well, God forbid a coach has one bad year (with a lot of young player I'll remind you).

Gophers are doing it, they are correcting a ton of first half mistakes. I was at the recent Sat game and while they did have a few fluke goals, they played a hell of a series. Much better than the Goofer team from a month ago. Not to mention Kangas was on a roll. Look for these guys to make a statement as the season winds down. I hate saying that.

This will be a big weekend for the Sioux, beating Cornell would put the team on the right track for the next few weeks against tough opponents. If this team can be successful over the next 2-3 weeks, i think a lot of fans will be singing a much different tune.

GO SIOUX!!

Well, I've been saving up this rant for awhile but the recruits for next year do not look to be the quality of years past. I looked to see how each recruit was doing respectively and to date....no one looks like they are having a good year. Comparatively, Dean Blais has 3 of the top 15 scorers in the USHL coming to Nebraska Omaha.

Bottom line, we need more scorers and exceptional players like Kristo. They guys coming in next year from what I can tell are far from stellar. As we know from guys like Cichy, Rowny, etc......even the best scorers in a league don't necessarily score in College hockey so how in the world is a mediocre player.

Any thoughts or am I delusional? If any of you have done more research than me and have some perspective of hope than please share, I'm all ears.

Dave

Although we have some nice players comming in, in my opinion we are in desperate need of some Blue Chip scorers - a team of role players isn't getting things done. We need some top end scoring talent.

Just throwing this out there . . .

I can't believe there are even people out there that think we should be firing Hak. Sure he hasn't won a title yet, but look at what he has done. He has a great record, been to multiple frozen fours, won the WCHA title, won the WCHA final five. Sure they are having a rough go this season but lets remember they still have a lot of time to do a lot of things, not to mention they are playing without some big talent. A lot of teams would love to be in our position right now (ranked #6) - not to bad.

Now, i liked Blais too and it would be cool to see him coach the Sioux again, but Hak is certainly deserving of his position.

With how many one goal losses this team has right now, they are a few mistakes away from be a very dangerous team. That is what Hak has built a legacy on is correcting first half mistakes, lets give him a little time, and if it doesn't work out, well, God forbid a coach has one bad year (with a lot of young player I'll remind you).

Gophers are doing it, they are correcting a ton of first half mistakes. I was at the recent Sat game and while they did have a few fluke goals, they played a hell of a series. Much better than the Goofer team from a month ago. Not to mention Kangas was on a roll. Look for these guys to make a statement as the season winds down. I hate saying that.

This will be a big weekend for the Sioux, beating Cornell would put the team on the right track for the next few weeks against tough opponents. If this team can be successful over the next 2-3 weeks, i think a lot of fans will be singing a much different tune.

GO SIOUX!!

Virg Foss reminded us recently in a column on Blais that a great coach can take his team and beat my team and then can take my team and beat his team. A great coach makes key calls at strategic moments that win games. He doesn't choke. Jerry York does that. Gwoz does that. Blais does that. Lucia doesn't do that. I have seen Hakstol choke in the most key moments in several strategic games. Maybe with a little, not a lot, more experience Hak will make the right call at those defining moments and win the must win games at tourney time. We do have to give him more time. But fairly soon, with the talent the Sioux have, they need to win it all. Blais got us used to national championships a least once a decade. That is not unreasonable to expect with our program.

Back to the compensation issue. One of you told me that Hakstol makes about $265,000 per year, including deferrd comp, (and gets an additional bonus if he wins it all). How does Hak's comp package compare to the compensation of guys like Jerry York and Gwozdecki and Red Berenson and Lucia? Does anyone know that?

Although we have some nice players comming in, in my opinion we are in desperate need of some Blue Chip scorers - a team of role players isn't getting things done. We need some top end scoring talent.

That's what i've been thinking for awhile when I asked where have they gone for UND...the tier 1 guys.going to the NHL in 2-3 years. Now I think we've got a few in the pipeline but this years team is lacking. I didn't realize it but Oxbow pointed out that we've only scored 4 or more goals 9 times this year which shows we need some scorers. We've got grinders who need to grind harder to keep the other team below 2-3 goal to give us a chance. But isn't every team hopinjg for that???!!

Back to the compensation issue. One of you told me that Hakstol makes about $265,000 per year, including deferrd comp, (and gets an additional bonus if he wins it all). How does Hak's comp package compare to the compensation of guys like Jerry York and Gwozdecki and Red Berenson and Lucia? Does anyone know that?

Where are you going with all this? What does it matter how much he gets paid and how much he gets paid in respect to other coaches in the league?

Virg Foss reminded us recently in a column on Blais that a great coach can take his team and beat my team and then can take my team and beat his team. A great coach makes key calls at strategic moments that win games. He doesn't choke. Jerry York does that. Gwoz does that. Blais does that. Lucia doesn't do that. I have seen Hakstol choke in the most key moments in several strategic games. Maybe with a little, not a lot, more experience Hak will make the right call at those defining moments and win the must win games at tourney time. We do have to give him more time. But fairly soon, with the talent the Sioux have, they need to win it all. Blais got us used to national championships a least once a decade. That is not unreasonable to expect with our program.

So York(3 ncaa titles), Gwoz(2 ncaa titles), and Blais(2 ncaa titles) "make key calls at strategic moments that wins games" but Lucia(2 ncaa titles) does not? Makes sense. ;)

So York(3 ncaa titles), Gwoz(2 ncaa titles), and Blais(2 ncaa titles) "make key calls at strategic moments that wins games" but Lucia(2 ncaa titles) does not? Makes sense. ;)

Yeah, I agree. Lucia is an excellent coach, there should be no denying that. Plus, you could use the same logic as the OLE YOULKINN to argue that York is a massive choke artist. It took him 3 kicks at the can in a row to put one through and get that 2nd title. He lost in the title game twice before the 2008 title win.

I'd still call York a great coach for his accomplishments, but how long into his coaching career did it take him to get the first one? How many years for Gwoz...

York coached at Clarkson for 7 years w/o a title and 5 more at Bowling Green before pulling one out in 1984. He coached at BC for 7 years before getting another.

Gwoz took 10 years at DU to get his first. Lucia, was much quicker at UM, but laid a goose egg at CC.

So great coaches sometimes don't bring home the hardware. It remains to be seen if Hak will do it, but it's not like he's not accomplished in the meantime.

***it's not very long but it sure is thin ;) He actually made $355k total comp. His base is "unknown"

It should be noted that the cost of living in Denver, COlorado Springs and Minneapolis is more than the other WCHA towns

You'd think that making that kind of money that Gwozdicky could afford to shop in the adult mens suit department.

Out of curiosity, Does anyone know how the cost of living in Madison compares to Grand Forks/Minneapolis? Also, Shyiak's is the lowest salary out of the ten...however, what is the cost of living in Alaska? The only thing that I have ever heard is that groceries are really expensive there because of the cost of shipping everything there?

According to an online cost of living calculator, $229k in Madison is $197k in GF

$110k in Anchorage is $77k in GF

$222k in Mpls is $175k in GF