SiouxSports.com Forum

Dusting off an old thread: Fire Hakstol?

Goon

Another piece of useless information for you. Cornell had a streak of 0 for 30 something going on the power play that they broke up on Saturday. I guess it happens to other teams too.

I would wonder if the fact that UND played against Scrivens and Chevy might have had something to do with that number inflating to 0-32?

Just a thought those are two of the best goalies in the NCAA. Goalies are a teams best PKers sometimes.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For your pleasure I'm going to bring up some past history. talentwise the two teams aren't comparable but youthwise they are and I'm referring to the 05-06 team. the parallels are mind boggling. both were very young teams that struggled and have struggled to the end of january. the last weekend of january that year scsu swept us at home, after that series the sioux were sitting in sixth place as well about 4-6 points out of fifth, with a similar record and about 15-16th in the pairwise as well which is just where we are right now. after that series they headed onthe road to a place where there hasn't been a lot of sucess(CC) and we head on the road to scsu where we haven't had overwhelming success either. we got a split that weekend came home to face duluth like we do this season, then head on the road to face a colorado team and close out the season at home against tech like we did that year. I'm hoping history can repeat itself because in the last 4 weekends that year we went 6-2 and ended up finishing fourth. I don't think we'll finish fourth but we still have a small window of finishing fifth.

If they can somehow someway figure this thing out by the first round of the playoffs and be in position to where we can still make the tourney without possibly making the final five would be good. because if we have to go onthe road there is a pretty good chance we don't make it to st. paul. If I remeber correctly miami and vermont didn't play in their league tournaments either and made the frozen four and in 2004 DU was knocked out in the first round as well and won the whole thing. I guess I'm hoping history can repeat itself ona couple of levels.

I think the main difference was that the Sioux had Oshie, Duncan, Travis Zajac, Jon Toews and Drew Stafford...the talent was there, it just took a while to surface...I'm not sure I see that level of talent with the current group...

Of course you don't care about history except if it involves winning a national championship.

Wins and losses? Number of goals doesn't matter. None of the other useless stats matter, right? The only thing that matters is whether you have more goals at the end of the game than the other team.

That's why they play the games.

Another piece of useless information for you. Cornell had a streak of 0 for 30 something going on the power play that they broke up on Saturday. I guess it happens to other teams too.

We'll have to agree to disagree on these issues, but to the 4 comments of yours above:

1) Nat'l Championships are the goal, especially with UND's hockey program. 30, soon to be 31, NFL teams will all be in the same boat soon. You only have one winner in all sports when it's said and done. That doesn't mean seasons aren't a success, but if you ask any players from UND in the past 5 years if they reached their ultimate goal, I think you know what the answer will be.

2) Right now, you think any one, Hak included, cares about streaks or stats? They all know they need wins and at this point they don't care how they get them. 1-0 or 7-6, they'll take a "W".

3) Why does anyone play any game? "You play to win the game."

4) Cornell's streak has what to do with UND? Their streak is broken, UND's is not.

Again, we are looking at things differently. Past teams had different players and were playing at a different level at this same date in time. You can take what you want from those teams, but frankly it tells us nothing about this year's team IMO.

So again, we'll just agree that we see things differently here.

I would wonder if the fact that UND played against Scrivens and Chevy might have had something to do with that number inflating to 0-32?

Just a thought those are two of the best goalies in the NCAA. Goalies are a teams best PKers sometimes.

I think that had something to do with it, that being said none of the goaltenders we'll face in the next four weeks are in the same class as those two.

I think the main difference was that the Sioux had Oshie, Duncan, Travis Zajac, Jon Toews and Drew Stafford...the talent was there, it just took a while to surface...I'm not sure I see that level of talent with the current group...

Comparing the talent of these guys with what we have today is laughable. That being said there doesn't appear to be as many "blue chippers" in college hockey as there was just a few years ago. Now more than ever it comes down to recruiting good players and developing them into great players. Neither seems to be working out for the Sioux right now.

Comparing the talent of these guys with what we have today is laughable. That being said there doesn't appear to be as many "blue chippers" in college hockey as there was just a few years ago. Now more than ever it comes down to recruiting good players and developing them into great players. Neither seems to be working out for the Sioux right now.

or just recruiting jon toews and letting him be him :D i agree that it seems the blue chip college talent peaked, not to say it couldn't again, but definately not the years of parise, osh, toews, zajac, stafford, vanek, kessel, ej, wheeler (as much as we hate the goofs, those guys were top end talent), stastny, vanriemsdyk, backes, etc. etc.