SiouxSports.com Forum

Dusting off an old thread: Fire Hakstol?

Goon

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a positive note, this should quiet the "Fire Lucia" crowd in Gooferville. Blais might have to get used to Omaha after all.

Probably only temporarily though.

When the Gophers fail to make the NCAA tourney for the 2nd straight season (both times with a regional in their own backyard), the heat will be put back on Lucia.

Probably only temporarily though.

When the Gophers fail to make the NCAA tourney for the 2nd straight season (both times with a regional in their own backyard), the heat will be put back on Lucia.

I think that reality will hit when the Gopher realize that their defense is porous and that their goalie stole them a game last night. Alex Kangas is not a world beater and is 2-4 against UND. The law of averages played against UND last night.

Also, if Cepis continues to act the way he does he is going to get clobbered, sad but true. People always talk about Hextall but this kid is an agitator. I was surprised when MacWilliam wasn

Hak is a good guy and good coach...problem I see is implementing a system that fits your talent. Not shoving a square peg in a round hole.

We are not a great defensive team, nor are we a good offensive team. But from what I see the systems in place both on D and offense are not getting the most out of the talent we have. To me that's the biggest issue.

If we have scorers as some say...why can't we score?

If we have solid defensive d-man as some say, why can't we hold onto a lead?

If we have a good goaltender as some say, why can't he give us a 34 out of 35 shots on goal effort once in awhile or make the big save when we need it?

Injuries are part of any season, but there still is too much talent to be in the spot we are currently IMO.

Hak is a good guy and good coach...problem I see is implementing a system that fits your talent. Not shoving a square peg in a round hole.

We are not a great defensive team, nor are we a good offensive team. But from what I see the systems in place both on D and offense are not getting the most out of the talent we have. To me that's the biggest issue.

If we have scorers as some say...why can't we score?

If we have solid defensive d-man as some say, why can't we hold onto a lead?

If we have a good goaltender as some say, why can't he give us a 34 out of 35 shots on goal effort once in awhile or make the big save when we need it?

Injuries are part of any season, but there still is too much talent to be in the spot we are currently IMO.

Maybe the power broker alumni that wield the most power need to start asking these questions?

I like Blais as much as the next guy, and respect the heck out him and the two titles that he brought to UND, but sometimes I think that posters here for some reason are so hung up on him that they think bringing him back is the only way that UND will get another title. And that just isn't true.

UND won titles before Blais was the coach, and they will win titles after. Will Hakstol be the coach that brings in the next title? I don't know for sure, but I would bet he will.

For everyone that claims that Blais teams were always ready to play...and his offensive schemes and mentality always had the team finishing...it's almost like those posters are just remembering the two titles and forgetting the other years.

As a flashback...

94/95 - Blais' 1st year, didn't have a ton to work with. Finished .500 and didn't make the NCAA's

95/96 - One game over .500, didn't make the NCAA's

96/97 - Won the title, Sioux nation rejoices

97/98 - Arguably one of Blais' best teams, loses their 1st NCAA game to MI in Ann Arbor (Sioux couldn't hold the lead in the 3rd...sound familiar?)

98/99 - Another dominant regular season, again they fall in their 1st game in the NCAA's to BC in Madison

99/00 - Another title, more rejoicing

00/01 - Lose in NT game to BC

01/02 - One of the worst Sioux teams in recent memory, below .500 and fail to make NCAA's

02/03 - Back in the NCAA's, but lose in the 1st round to Ferris St

03/04 - Probably the most talented Blais team, loses to DU in regional final (Sioux ran into a hot goalie/couldn't finish...sound familiar?)

In 10 Blais-led years, the Sioux failed to make the NCAA tourney three times, lost in their first NCAA game an additional three times, and had the worst Sioux season since Gino's last year of coaching. As I said earlier, I respect the heck out of the guy and will always remember the two titles that UND won while he was at the helm, but we can't just forget the other years.

;)

The thing about Blais and his teams, you knew what you were going to get night in and out regardless of the score...a team that was going to fly around the ice and try to outscore you. If they were up by 2 they'd try to get up be three. Pressure, pressure, pressure. His system is/was to put the other team on it's heels all the time.

Hak sends them out flying, gets a lead in most games then shuts it down. This past Friday was a prime example. 31 shots on goal, but only 4 in the 3rd and OT. To tough IMO to have players constantly switching gears based on the score...because it's obviously not working as is.

I like Blais as much as the next guy, and respect the heck out him and the two titles that he brought to UND, but sometimes I think that posters here for some reason are so hung up on him that they think bringing him back is the only way that UND will get another title. And that just isn't true.

UND won titles before Blais was the coach, and they will win titles after. Will Hakstol be the coach that brings in the next title? I don't know for sure, but I would bet he will.

For everyone that claims that Blais teams were always ready to play...and his offensive schemes and mentality always had the team finishing...it's almost like those posters are just remembering the two titles and forgetting the other years.

In 10 Blais-led years, the Sioux failed to make the NCAA tourney three times, lost in their first NCAA game an additional three times, and had the worst Sioux season since Gino's last year of coaching. As I said earlier, I respect the heck out of the guy and will always remember the two titles that UND won while he was at the helm, but we can't just forget the other years.

But he had a system that never waivered...didn't always get the perfect result. Thru Hak's tenure what is our system or identity??

There is no mercy rule in college hockey. WIth 9:00 min left on Friday I think the players started to shut down. Hak needed to call the timeout to get them back into it. That has been the problem is he isn't getting their heads back into it with a lead in the 3rd. It's not something he should loose his job over unless he fails to correct it.

For 5.5 years he has put a quality team on the ice. You can't say it has been all with Blais pplayers as now the team is all his and we are still one of the top teams in the country. The guys just enjoyed Dinkytown a little too much Friday night.

Blais said he was a great coach; I was at the Sioux Boosters luncheon.

Would Blaise actually something negative about a current coach, especially at a booster club gathering? Most likely not.

I was at the MN game, and the sioux just looked flat. I say this year in and year out, but Hakstol is just not a good motivator. He has had some amazing talent over the years, arguably of which he should have had a national title by now. The argument isn't whether he's a good coach, b/c he's proven to be mediocre, but even if he is fired, who would be the coach?

Would Blaise actually something negative about a current coach, especially at a booster club gathering? Most likely not.

I was at the MN game, and the sioux just looked flat. I say this year in and year out, but Hakstol is just not a good motivator. He has had some amazing talent over the years, arguably of which he should have had a national title by now. The argument isn't whether he's a good coach, b/c he's proven to be mediocre, but even if he is fired, who would be the coach?

I don't think Hakstol is going to be fired. Nor am I suggesting he be fired. I made this post tongue in cheek, because the other thread was shut down. I saw all kinds of negative comments last night on the Chat. I just created the thread because it's healthy for people to vent a little bit. Coach Hakstol would have to really screw up to get fired, 1.) have big conduct issues with his players. 2.) Major academic scandle 3.) consecutive losing season or a major recruiting violation. Steve Johnson would probably be the head candidate as well as Eades.

I'll admit to being one of those who was venting on the other thread (some of it fueled with alcohol and frustration). However, I think some questions are valid. Hak took over the best program in the country - one that had more Championship success over the previous 20-25 years than anyone else in the country. He also took over a program that had recently moved into the best facility in the country. Is it unreasonable to expect some Championships from him? Some posters seem to think that expecting Championships is unreasonable because they are hard to win - of course they are hard to win, that's why they are special. How long should we wait until Hak gets a team that puts it all together? No, I don't think we should win one every year, but I do think we should win one some time. He knew what the expectations were going in.

Particulairly frustrating is the issue of style of play. This play to beat hell for a period and a half, get a lead, go into a shell, and piss the lead down your leg play needs to come to a screeching halt. What's wrong with keeping the pressure on? I put this issue squarely on Hak. Also, I have not seen the payoff we expected in the idea of rolling 4 lines of good players without depending on superstars and overmatching our opponents who only have one or 2 good lines. We have 4 good lines to roll, but at any given time, only 2 seem to be firing on all cyllinders. We are in desperate need of finishers. Goaltending - well it is what it is - I think this is more of an issue in assesing talent and recruiting than anything else. Eidsness appears to have topped out - I don't think he'll ever be a shut down goalie. Overall, a frustrating season with frustrating losses and a frustrating style of play. As for Blais - anytime you replace a great coach you should expect comparisons. So far I don't think Hak has quite delivered. Can he in the future? I don't know. I am extremely worried about the rest of this season, however.

Goaltending - well it is what it is - I think this is more of an issue in assesing talent and recruiting than anything else. Eidsness appears to have topped out - I don't think he'll ever be a shut down goalie. Overall, a frustrating season with frustrating losses and a frustrating style of play. As for Blais - anytime you replace a great coach you should expect comparisons. So far I don't think Hak has quite delivered. Can he in the future? I don't know. I am extremely worried about the rest of this season, however.

I think goaltending is holding the Sioux back. I am very concerned about goaltending situation at UND and I think Eids has gotten a free pass this season. People jumped down my throat because I said he was the weak link and not as good as KG, Parise or JPL. looks like I was spot on. I do think Hak needs to bring in a new goalie next season if Dell and Eids can't play consistent enough to win games. After the third goal Dell should have been in the game. It's almost as if Hak is afraid to bench or pull Eids. I mean, unless Dell is hurt. I have liked what Dell has shown me in 2/3 of his games.

I agree that it is a good thing to vent a little, but I did notice somethings while reading it.

1. You all are talking about the players that Blais recruited and left Hakstol with..Hakstol was at least partially in charge of scouting under Blais and most of them would have been his scouts and partially his players. The same way that I believe Eades is in charge of scouting now.

2. Yes, Blais left Hakstol with a good team in 2004-2005...However, in those first two years, how many players graduated or left early? Too many if I recall.

3. Yes, this season is not exactly going how we had all planned....or how the team planned. I do think it is a little early to freak out all the way. Yes, I am unhappy with how our team is playing right now and they are for sure not playing the way that we think that they should. However, how many people are playing injured that we don't know about? Remember the UNH game last year to end the season, half the team was injured including Eids and we were all complaining that they were playing horrible. Injuries are a part of the game and something that every hockey player plays through, but that doesn't make them an easier to play through.

That being said, vent away....I know that it is a good release, but just remember not all is lost and hey, miracles happen...just ask Holy Cross. ;)