SiouxSports.com Forum

Code of Conduct?

bcblues

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is what happened at the Gopher series, I'm sadly way out of the loop? All i know about is the fight that I read about in the paper.

the usual...crowd chants, drunken behavior, people being offended by other people's behavior, etc.

And Jody Hodgson said that it was something that was put in action before the Gopher series and the Athletic Department has been trying to work with students for years, so no I don't think it was in response to the Gopher series.

As I said in the game thread, 90% of the code isn't really new and nothing really to get bent out of shape about.

The one part that is potentially damaging is the statement made about fans enjoy the right to come to the game and enjoy themselves... well, that's the common sense rephrasing of it... it wasnt' worded that way though.

The problem lies with the interpretation of that rule. If someone doesn't like the rowdy students sitting next to them, even if they aren't cussing or throwing things, can complain and get people removed from the arena because they don't enjoy the loudness of the section next to them. Ok, I used students, but it really doesn't matter which group they belong to.

It's in style now to make rules that can be used against the students more than those that protect all. 80% of the noise at the REA comes from the student section, obscene or otherwise.

There is a TON of potential for abuse of this code.

The duluth paper had a big article about a new code of conduct with big penalties. I think the whole !@#$ talking thing has just been getting worse and worse throughout the years. I agree that some people need work on their manners and there is a fine line that gets crossed at times.

the usual...crowd chants, drunken behavior, people being offended by other people's behavior, etc.

And Jody Hodgson said that it was something that was put in action before the Gopher series and the Athletic Department has been trying to work with students for years, so no I don't think it was in response to the Gopher series.

Nothing happened in the arena at that series that hasn't been going on for years and years at games.

Except that now we are broadcasting what happens in that arena nationwide.

It's a hockey game for crying out loud. I am so sick of people putting down the students at the REA. They're great, they bring energy and life to building. I understand that some chants should not be used giving the offensive language and what not. However, tonight's atmosphere was just boring. I really wish the older people in the seats would cheer more and create a fun sporting environment. One of the biggest issues with the Ralph, is that going to a hockey game becomes a social event for a far majority of the people attending. There is to much control and it is sucking the fun out of the building and the Ralph allows that to happen because if people constantly bitch in Grand Forks, adjustments get made. I hate to say it but the best fans ever to attend the Ralph, were the Canadian fans during the world juniors in 2005.

It's a hockey game for crying out loud. I am so sick of people putting down the students at the REA. They're great, they bring energy and life to building. I understand that some chants should not be used giving the offensive language and what not. However, tonight's atmosphere was just boring. I really wish the older people in the seats would cheer more and create a fun sporting environment. One of the biggest issues with the Ralph, is that going to a hockey game becomes a social event for a far majority of the people attending. There is to much control and it is sucking the fun out of the building and the Ralph allows that to happen because if people constantly bitch in Grand Forks, adjustments get made. I hate to say it but the best fans ever to attend the Ralph, were the Canadian fans during the world juniors in 2005.

The second best fans ever were the Canadian fans at the World Curling Championships.

Exactly. It's hockey not a freaking tea party. the code of conduct sucks the life out of the arena, particularly the student section, it was already apparent on tv. I feel my fan participation should not have to be put on a leash. I understand the swearing is a concern around children. but i also know they are going to be exposed to that at some point in their life and you can only shield them from it for so long. (just my opionion) Some people just have foul mouths (i will admit to being one of them when i'm angry) -- but you don't have to go to a hockey game to see that. I'm all for making games a pleasant environment for everyone, including opposing fans as I've been on the opposite side of that before, but i just wish it could have been done without taking the away from the atmosphere of the game. I hope this will challenge the students and others to figure out a way to maintain a good, LOUD, game atmosphere at the arena without violating the "code."

I really wish the older people in the seats would cheer more and create a fun sporting environment. One of the biggest issues with the Ralph, is that going to a hockey game becomes a social event for a far majority of the people attending.

ehem, a lot of so called "older people" cheer too. Most of us aren't standing in the bars we are watching the game from our seats and cheering.

That being said the arena can be loud without vile language. By the way I see a lot of students sitting on their hands and seem to be there for the

social aspect as well.

Agreed. My original quote was from the second intermission interview with the RAE Director. I am "old school" about being a hockey fan. The student section back in my day (80/82) was a raucous riot, and teams were most certainly intimidated by competing in that atmosphere. And, while there may have been some adults and kids in the arena, I think that most considered the student section to be one of the best assets of the team. It was truly a home-ice advantage. Yes, RAE has some of that advantage left, but your comment about the "social event" is duly noted. My first time in the new arena, just a couple years ago, showed me that the crowd in GF has tamed down quite a bit, and I thought the student section was pretty mild compared to the Farce years. And yet, admittedly I can understand the University not wanting to broadcast a game where "F*ck the Gophers" is clearly audible for fifteen minutes, to the whole country. So it is a double edged sword. Perhaps a good, old fashioned "Gophers suck" cheer instead? :D

ehem, a lot of so called "older people" cheer too. Most of us aren't standing in the bars we are watching the game from our seats and cheering.

That being said the arena can be loud without vile language. By the way I see a lot of students sitting on their hands and seem to be there for the

social aspect as well.

Goon,

Though I agree, I will say this:

The students (as an entity) have more to lose than the general public. There is no stipulation that requires students to get lower bowl seats in any arena in college hockey. There is an expectation that there is a student section, but REA and UND could have easily put the students off in the corner of the upper deck somewhere and complied with the expectation as worded.

The worst thing that could happen to the general public is that a season ticket holder loses his/her seat. They're not going to take that section away from the general public no matter what.

With that hanging over my head, I'd be a lot quieter too.

This code is meant for all attendees, not just students. It's not meant to attack students either, but they are BY FAR the most vulnerable entity in the arena to the snitch lines.

And for the most part deservedly so. 90% of the obscenity comes from there.

HOWEVER, my fear is that the snitches will be tallied and used to pass a judgment on an entity, not on individuals. I'd much rather ban a student for the rest of the season than use that student's behavior to ban groups of students or remove them from their section.

REA is losing a ton of money having the students in the lower bowl. The REA is a business. UND is the school. If REA can make more money, especially if the people affected are judged to be disruptive and in violation of policy, would you turn down the opportunity to make more money even if it is at the expense of the students and whatever PR hit that would incur?

Goon,

Though I agree, I will say this:

The students (as an entity) have more to lose than the general public. There is no stipulation that requires students to get lower bowl seats in any arena in college hockey. There is an expectation that there is a student section, but REA and UND could have easily put the students off in the corner of the upper deck somewhere and complied with the expectation as worded.

The worst thing that could happen to the general public is that a season ticket holder loses his/her seat. They're not going to take that section away from the general public no matter what.

With that hanging over my head, I'd be a lot quieter too.

This code is meant for all attendees, not just students. It's not meant to attack students either, but they are BY FAR the most vulnerable entity in the arena to the snitch lines.

And for the most part deservedly so. 90% of the obscenity comes from there.

HOWEVER, my fear is that the snitches will be tallied and used to pass a judgment on an entity, not on individuals. I'd much rather ban a student for the rest of the season than use that student's behavior to ban groups of students or remove them from their section.

REA is losing a ton of money having the students in the lower bowl. The REA is a business. UND is the school. If REA can make more money, especially if the people affected are judged to be disruptive and in violation of policy, would you turn down the opportunity to make more money even if it is at the expense of the students and whatever PR hit that would incur?

I don't really take issue with anything you say but to say old people, which includes you and me, don't cheer is assisine.

Agreed. My original quote was from the second intermission interview with the RAE Director. I am "old school" about being a hockey fan. The student section back in my day (80/82) was a raucous riot, and teams were most certainly intimidated by competing in that atmosphere. And, while there may have been some adults and kids in the arena, I think that most considered the student section to be one of the best assets of the team. It was truly a home-ice advantage. Yes, RAE has some of that advantage left, but your comment about the "social event" is duly noted. My first time in the new arena, just a couple years ago, showed me that the crowd in GF has tamed down quite a bit, and I thought the student section was pretty mild compared to the Farce years. And yet, admittedly I can understand the University not wanting to broadcast a game where "F*ck the Gophers" is clearly audible for fifteen minutes, to the whole country. So it is a double edged sword. Perhaps a good, old fashioned "Gophers suck" cheer instead? :D

I agree, they should chant "Gophers Suck" like it has been chanted forever in the past! But now what in the heck is with the rule: "Cheer for your team, not against your opponent." That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!! They are really trying to ruin the home team advantage. I think they better revise the rule list and rephrase it. It's a hockey game!! Go Sioux!

I think (at least) part of it is that THE REA has enjoyed sold out games (pretty much) for the last few years,and figure they can do whatever they want with total impunity. And after all, those cheap student seats are cutting into their profit margin.

These game are college games. They are for the students. We old farts that just happen to be fans should not be driving the bus, IMHO. This should be about, by, and for the students whenever possible.

Age-old chants are part of the college heritage. They should ENCOURAGE it for home games.

I think (at least) part of it is that THE REA has enjoyed sold out games (pretty much) for the last few years,and figure they can do whatever they want with total impunity. And after all, those cheap student seats are cutting into their profit margin.

These game are college games. They are for the students. We old farts that just happen to be fans should not be driving the bus, IMHO. This should be about, by, and for the students whenever possible.

Age-old chants are part of the college heritage. They should ENCOURAGE it for home games.

Are games in college football at places like Michigan and Penn State for the students? Places that put 100,000 people in the seats? Do you think any of these places could keep the venues going and the programs going if you depended on the students? No. College sports, especially the bigger sports at the Division I level, are a marketing tool for the schools. Marketing obscenities is not good business.

College athletics help develop leadership and teamwork. They are often a rallying point for the school and help build school spirit. They have a lot of other purposes. But big time Division I athletics are not just for the college students. If you want college games that are just for the college students you should go root for a Division III program.

How about this for a simplified code of conduct, Use common sense, be an adult, and act like you've been in public before. And remember, it's only a game, it isn't life or death.

I dont know where to post this, so i'll throw it in here.

I was given seats by a colleague tonight, 103 P. Nice seats on the corner.

the first period, mario goes on a breakaway, i realize it; stand up to anticipate the goal.

From behind me i hear " SIT DOWN, these are good seats, watch the game."

If they were my seats, i woulda told the guy to go f.... himself.

I dont want a problem for my buddy, since they are his seats.

That is the problem with the crowd.

I have to be told to sit down during an exciting play???

i want to get season tickets, are there any sections i can enjoy the game and stand and cheer?

good lord. thanks for ruining the experience you ass hat.

I dont know where to post this, so i'll throw it in here.

I was given seats by a colleague tonight, 103 P. Nice seats on the corner.

the first period, mario goes on a breakaway, i realize it; stand up to anticipate the goal.

From behind me i hear " SIT DOWN, these are good seats, watch the game."

If they were my seats, i woulda told the guy to go f.... himself.

I dont want a problem for my buddy, since they are his seats.

That is the problem with the crowd.

I have to be told to sit down during an exciting play???

i want to get season tickets, are there any sections i can enjoy the game and stand and cheer?

good lord. thanks for ruining the experience you ass hat.

My seats are in section 113, lower bowl. When there's a big play we stand, we cheer, we sing the national anthem, and most of us are old farts. The ef word slips my lips on occasion but I don't chant it. If someone wants to stand for the sake of standing, we tell 'em to sit down!

Sadly, I don't know what's going on in those seats the past 3 seasons. My son and his gf are enjoying them as I travel around living amongst whales, eagles and bears. Ok, not now but last season.... :D .

Those that have a problem with people standing at a hockey game need to put on their figure skates and go catch an orchestra recital at The Fritz, and stay FAR FAR away from the REA.

There was no need to institute a formal code of conduct if all they wanted to do was curb the student section from "F-the Gophers" cheers. That could easily have been accomplished without instituting a formal code of conduct.

To quote the legendary Virg Foss in today's GF Herald: "But to ask fans not to cheer against the opponent is unacceptable. What’s wrong with the “sieve, sieve” chant directed at an opposing goalie? It’s a part of hockey everywhere, in every rink. Besides, if Ralph Engelstad Arena officials want to climb aboard in this directive, they need to tone down their videos which can be as disrespectful of opponents as any chant." http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/arti...8/group/Sports/

As always, Virg eloquently points out the truth, and in this case, the hypocrisy of this policy. The idea of "after game" reporting of "inappropriate" fan behavior seems more like they want to turn The Temple of Hockey into an Elementary School with teachers encouraging tattle tale behavior.

I have no problem with them wanting to eliminate profanity laced cheers such as what happened at the Gopher series. However, I have a huge problem with a bunch of 'Administrators' on a power trip instituting a ridiculous, overbearing policy in an obvious attempt to protect their little feifdom.

The policy states "Fans shall not interfere unduly with anyone else's right and opportunity to enjoy the event." Which means, if the person next to me feels that booing a poor call by a referee, or booing the other team is 'inappropriate behavior' they can report me to Captain Power Trip and his army of Lieutenants?

Apparently Brian Faison and the others responsible for implementing the code of conduct are unable to comprehend the term 'Home Ice Advantage.'

It's a shame we have such narrow minded people in charge.