SiouxSports.com Forum

Code of Conduct?

bcblues

It's kind of funny that most students and young people feel they are harassed and being put down. Every rule is aimed directly at them. Older people hate them and try to take advantage of them. That this town (whichever town they live in around the country) is the worst place they could possibly live and that the same thing doesn't happen in other places. And then as they get older they start to support many of the same rules and regulations they hated when they were students. And learn that not everyone was against them the whole time.

It's kind of like how much smarter parents get as kids grow up and become adults. When you are a teenager you can't believe how stupid and lame your parents are. By the time you are in your mid 20s or 30s you can't believe how much your parents have learned.

This also could be used to describe the loud party ordinance. They think it is alright to party as loud as they want. Ask them though in 10,20,30 years or so when they have to get up in the morning or have toget their kids asleep would they want themselves as neighbors? Or would their parents want them as neighbors right now? I think the answer would be no. At least that is what one of those girls that lived seven to a house told me when I asked her this question. She was one of the girls in the paper a couple of years ago.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of like how much smarter parents get as kids grow up and become adults. When you are a teenager you can't believe how stupid and lame your parents are. By the time you are in your mid 20s or 30s you can't believe how much your parents have learned.

That's true I thought my parents weren't too bright when I was a teenager and in my early 20's and then as I got older my parents and in-laws seemed like pretty smart people.

I'm a new member to this, but have been reading the forum for years. I'm one of those "old people" you are referring to (ticket holder since 1972-long before many of you were even born!) I was most upset on Sat. nite to see the "police" going up and down the aisles of the student section motioning everyone to sit down. People need to realize the student section is the main mover on getting the crowd into the game and that you students pay plenty in tuition, housing, money in the community and you have every right to stand when it is warranted. There are many instances during a game where your vision is blocked becuz of the action on the boards etc. and in order to see it you need to stand! I was just getting excited to see the arena come alive this year and now they want to put a damper on it all! Hardly makes sense to me at this point. I'm lucky enuff to have a lower bowl seat on a corner so it usually isn't an issue, your section on the side does not allow for that luxury.

I'm a new member to this, but have been reading the forum for years. I'm one of those "old people" you are referring to (ticket holder since 1972-long before many of you were even born!) I was most upset on Sat. nite to see the "police" going up and down the aisles of the student section motioning everyone to sit down. People need to realize the student section is the main mover on getting the crowd into the game and that you students pay plenty in tuition, housing, money in the community and you have every right to stand when it is warranted. There are many instances during a game where your vision is blocked becuz of the action on the boards etc. and in order to see it you need to stand! I was just getting excited to see the arena come alive this year and now they want to put a damper on it all! Hardly makes sense to me at this point. I'm lucky enuff to have a lower bowl seat on a corner so it usually isn't an issue, your section on the side does not allow for that luxury.

I have been attending Sioux hockey (actually most UND sporting events) since I was in high school. Attended the games at the barn, season tivkets at the old Englested and now at the Ralph. Student activity now is no different than it was when I was a student watching hockey in the barn. My tickets have been in various places during the past 55 years and it has never been a problem if 'fans' stood up and cheered for the Sioux. That is what fans do. Certainly the language is an issue--however my grandsons attend games with me and if the worst they ever hear is the language at the Ralph--I would be surprised. Its time to cut the students some slack--they are young-enthusiastic and passinate about UND and their team. This 'old fella' feels a great sense of pride in seeing the students carrying on the great tradition of vocally supporting the Sioux. I hope we don't rag on this to the point we lose the passion.

I have been attending Sioux hockey games since I was 7 years old. As a Sioux fan who grew up in the Twin Cities most of my early experience with hockey was either at Marriucci or the Xcel Energy Center. I would like to point out that as a Sioux fan in those venues the atmosphere was never any worse or better than it is at the Ralph. As a current student of UND I do take offense to all of us being stereotyped together. I have attend every game and have at times left profanity slip, particularly after a bad call. Do I agree with the F*** the Gophers chant once or twice....sure it is just students being students. However using it extensively is annoying to both other studnets and fans as a whole. What I have a problem with is when the Ralph threatens to eject me for using the word when talking to a friend. I wasn't yelling/screaming/chanting it. Just talking to a friend. I love how hockey is turning in to a Police State. I would like to address the problem that I see at the Ralph. Hockey in Grand Forks for some has turned in to a Social Event ala Keeping Up With The Jones's. I attended games in the old Ralph and remember when standing was encouraged because it both supported your team and kept you off the uncomfortable seats. This is hockey, not figure skating/badminton/chess...people need to realize that they are only words. If you can not take the time to explain to your child that those words are not acceptable (as my parent did at hockey games) then you need to look at your parenting style not blame it on the Student Section.

I have been attending Sioux hockey games since I was 7 years old. As a Sioux fan who grew up in the Twin Cities most of my early experience with hockey was either at Marriucci or the Xcel Energy Center. I would like to point out that as a Sioux fan in those venues the atmosphere was never any worse or better than it is at the Ralph. As a current student of UND I do take offense to all of us being stereotyped together. I have attend every game and have at times left profanity slip, particularly after a bad call. Do I agree with the F*** the Gophers chant once or twice....sure it is just students being students. However using it extensively is annoying to both other studnets and fans as a whole. What I have a problem with is when the Ralph threatens to eject me for using the word when talking to a friend. I wasn't yelling/screaming/chanting it. Just talking to a friend. I love how hockey is turning in to a Police State. I would like to address the problem that I see at the Ralph. Hockey in Grand Forks for some has turned in to a Social Event ala Keeping Up With The Jones's. I attended games in the old Ralph and remember when standing was encouraged because it both supported your team and kept you off the uncomfortable seats. This is hockey, not figure skating/badminton/chess...people need to realize that they are only words. If you can not take the time to explain to your child that those words are not acceptable (as my parent did at hockey games) then you need to look at your parenting style not blame it on the Student Section.

AMEN!

I just went to my first Sioux games in three years.

I was interested to see if the fans had somehow "gone wild" given the things I have been reading and hearing about recently.

I did not find that to be the case. In fact I saw a pretty controlled environment from my point of view.

The one thing I saw that really got under my skin was that the Ralph does NOT show replays of controversial plays on the video soreboard. ie the goal reviews. I noticed this at the metrodome as well.

I find it sick that people accept this. You all realize the message that teaches all of us; Information is ok to withold if it is in your best interest, for the 'greater' good. ie it just isn't a good idea to disclose truth to people. Instead we will keep them in the dark and control things ourselves FOR them.

That is step one in a "police state" and should be discouraged. YES this is just a game, but we are creatures of habit and we should NEVER get used to or be ok with that type of 'deprivation of information for the greater good' crap. There is nothing good about it.

I was interested to see if the fans had somehow "gone wild" given the things I have been reading and hearing about recently.

I did not find that to be the case. In fact I saw a pretty controlled environment from my point of view.

The one thing I saw that really got under my skin was that the Ralph does NOT show replays of controversial plays on the video soreboard. ie the goal reviews. I noticed this at the metrodome as well.

I find it sick that people accept this. You all realize the message that teaches all of us; Information is ok to withold if it is in your best interest, for the 'greater' good. ie it just isn't a good idea to disclose truth to people. Instead we will keep them in the dark and control things ourselves FOR them.

That is step one in a "police state" and should be discouraged. YES this is just a game, but we are creatures of habit and we should NEVER get used to or be ok with that type of 'deprivation of information for the greater good' crap. There is nothing good about it.

Seems like this practice started when the NFL went to the challenge system and now more and more sporting events will not show close plays because they feel it "shows up the refs" or something to that effect.

It's funny because when one of my friends is at a NFL game and they know I'm watching on TV they'll call after a close play to see what really happened.

Seems like this practice started when the NFL went to the challenge system and now more and more sporting events will not show close plays because they feel it "shows up the refs" or something to that effect.

It's funny because when one of my friends is at a NFL game and they know I'm watching on TV they'll call after a close play to see what really happened.

I thought they stopped showing them to avoid riots in the stands?!?

I wouldn't call it a police state. To me it shows the WCHA knows their officials are usually wrong.

If I'm at the game I'll sign in to SS and find out what happened.

who taught these young folks to think ?

our public schools indoctrination mind control methods seem to be slipping

1st it was Pink Floyd & that brick in the wall song

Now the young are calling us a police state

Next that soylent green thing will come true ;)

Here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan's_Run - dang I'm getting old ;)

[edit] Film

Main article: Logan's Run (1976 film)

The novel was adapted in 1976 as a film, directed by Michael Anderson and starring Michael York as Logan 5 (not 3), Jenny Agutter as Jessica 6, and Richard Jordan as Francis 7. The film only uses the basic premise from the novel (everyone must die at a specific age, Logan runs with Jessica as his companion while being chased by Francis). However, the world is postapocalyptic and people now live inside huge domed cities and are unaware of the world outside, believing it to be a barren, poisonous environment. The motivations of the characters are also quite different in the film. The age of death is 30, and Logan is a 26 year old Sandman, sent by the computer to find and destroy Sanctuary. The computer alters his palm flower (here called a lifeclock) to show him as a Lastday, and he becomes a runner. Sanctuary turns out not to exist, and only one old man (Peter Ustinov) lives with cats in a public library in the largely intact ruins of Washington, DC nearby. Logan kills Francis, in the movie simply a Sandman, not a rebel leader, and leads Old Man back to just outside the domed city, returning to try to lead a revolt against the culling. No one believes or listens to him or Jessica, and instead he is captured by Sandmen. In his interrogation by the computer, his honest information that there is no Sanctuary causes the computer to self-destruct. The ending implies that Old Man will lead the young throngs as they leave the confines of the burning and exploding Domed City.

I have been attending Sioux games since the 60's (yes I am that old). First, as a little kid (both parents are alum), then as a student, and now as an alum myself. Yes, the language has turned more vulgar (at least certain chants), but trust me, hockey (at ANY LEVEL, at ANY TIME) is not a prissy game for prissy ears. That is just hockey. Personally, I yell and scream, and (yes) even curse the ref at times. It is sports. Man up and go with it. That is what they told me when I began officiating. Then again, 20 years ago (certainly 30 years ago) officials were NOT the ones who decided the outcome of games, at least on controversial calls (for the most part). Sure, we did not have instant replay, but the bottom line is that "back in the day" (jeez I sound old), they "let 'em play", and rarely MADE controversial calls. Rarely were the OFFICIALS who were on the $h1t list after the game.

The whole idea of collegiate sports is to incite spirit into the students (oh, wait, that is also so 1960's - now it is all about MAKING MONEY). I truly believe that the entire enterprise, at least D1 athletics) is all about the money. From the BCS to to Code of Conduct, it all comes down to the mighty dollar. Empty the student section, get those remaining to sit down do that more "sensible folk" can "enjoy the game", and charge those "sensible folk" an arm and leg to attend!

Bring collegiate athletics back to the STUDENTS, even if it means old folks like me have to watch it at home or at the local pub. It should all be abouth the students, not about "profits" os "sensibilities".

For the record, I don't agree with any racial slurs at games, but those can be dealt with as needed (and without a "code").

Play the game and let the fans enjoy the game.

I have been attending Sioux games since the 60's (yes I am that old). First, as a little kid (both parents are alum), then as a student, and now as an alum myself. Yes, the language has turned more vulgar (at least certain chants), but trust me, hockey (at ANY LEVEL, at ANY TIME) is not a prissy game for prissy ears. That is just hockey. Personally, I yell and scream, and (yes) even curse the ref at times. It is sports. Man up and go with it. That is what they told me when I began officiating. Then again, 20 years ago (certainly 30 years ago) officials were NOT the ones who decided the outcome of games, at least on controversial calls (for the most part). Sure, we did not have instant replay, but the bottom line is that "back in the day" (jeez I sound old), they "let 'em play", and rarely MADE controversial calls. Rarely were the OFFICIALS who were on the $h1t list after the game.

The whole idea of collegiate sports is to incite spirit into the students (oh, wait, that is also so 1960's - now it is all about MAKING MONEY). I truly believe that the entire enterprise, at least D1 athletics) is all about the money. From the BCS to to Code of Conduct, it all comes down to the mighty dollar. Empty the student section, get those remaining to sit down do that more "sensible folk" can "enjoy the game", and charge those "sensible folk" an arm and leg to attend!

Bring collegiate athletics back to the STUDENTS, even if it means old folks like me have to watch it at home or at the local pub. It should all be abouth the students, not about "profits" os "sensibilities".

For the record, I don't agree with any racial slurs at games, but those can be dealt with as needed (and without a "code").

I thought it is amusing that hockey is too vulgar yet colleges everywhere try desperately hard to make money selling prime tailgating spots where people are encouraged to do things like drink alcohol, eat, and get rowdy.

Hockey doesn't go that way (though I think it'd be neat to do such a thing as more of a social gathering among fans of both sides pre and perhaps post game).

Is DI college basketball that way? They're somewhat comparable in terms of pre and post game activity around the arena as well as student sections I think.

Division I sports like football and basketball have been all about the money for many years. You can go all the way back to the 20's and 30's to see some of the football scheduling, bringing the big name football players and teams to places like New York to play in front of big crowds. Players like Red Grange and teams like Army or Notre Dame were in huge demand. And why do you think they started football bowl games? Money, and the chance for places like Los Angeles and Florida to make a name for themselves. The Rose Bowl was started during the early part of the last century to give Pasadena some publicity as a great place to be during the winter. Big time athletics has never been about the students, or at least not for several decades. If you want college athletics that are all about the students you can go watch Division III, or non-scholarship conferences.