SiouxSports.com Forum

Code of Conduct?

bcblues

This topic is red hot and all over the place in the media. NFL football, major college football venues, etc. you've got the text messaging system and camera systems to weed out trouble makers. Harmless trash talk shouldn't be fair game, but drunks that are ruining fun for others, yes I'm all for it. REAL SPORTS, ESPN Outside the Lines, you name it.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is red hot and all over the place in the media. NFL football, major college football venues, etc. you've got the text messaging system and camera systems to weed out trouble makers. Harmless trash talk shouldn't be fair game, but drunks that are ruining fun for others, yes I'm all for it. REAL SPORTS, ESPN Outside the Lines, you name it.

The boundaries of bad behavior have been pushed in much of society over the past several years. And that is more true of sports than just about anyplace else (except maybe music). A lot of behavior and language that are accepted now would have been considered in bad taste not that many years ago. I think that it has reached a point where the core is pushing back a little bit. A little correction is probably overdue. But everyone has to be careful that they don't overreact and push things back too far in the other direction. I still think a little consideration of others would go a long way to prevent that overreaction.

My buddy's 13 yr old son just got warned by the rent-a-cops for putting $$ in between the glass. Just like we did in 'The Farce' years. Apparently that is offensive to the other teams under the code of conduct. Personally I think it's offensive that the rent-a-cops have nothing better to do than go overboard in enforcing the code of conduct. Which is exactly what I expected would happen.

Everybody's standing and loud!! Just as it should be in a close OT game against the #1 team in the country.

The Ralph gets loud in big situations, such as the one you mention. But, it's the other times, where the pace of the game may not be that great and the scoring is low. It can be like a library in there then.

Anyone notice the PC pregame video WITHOUT big hits from the night before? Also, if my memory serves me, the "Nail of the Game" was not shown. The code of conduct and REA cowtowing to the Mike Jacobs group is sickening. The arena staff and rent a cops have been ridiculously overzealous up in our remote corner of the building since all this was put in place.

I was great in overtime last night, the crowd got energized and stayed pretty involved throughout the five minutes.

Anyone notice the PC pregame video WITHOUT big hits from the night before? Also, if my memory serves me, the "Nail of the Game" was not shown. The code of conduct and REA cowtowing to the Mike Jacobs group is sickening. The arena staff and rent a cops have been ridiculously overzealous up in our remote corner of the building since all this was put in place.

I was great in overtime last night, the crowd got energized and stayed pretty involved throughout the five minutes.

They did play a "Nail of the Game" with about 8-10 minutes left in the 3rd period. It was either Blood or MacWilliam (I don't remember for sure) dumping a Miami player along the boards. Actually it was a pretty good hit. And I remember at least 1 hit in the pregame video, a decent hit at center ice. But there weren't as many as normal.

This isn't an REA issue. Almost every sports venue in the country, at least most professional and major college venues, have tightened up security. Crowd control has become very important to a lot of people. Many of these sports depend on families and business people to pay the way. The crazy "fans" won't pay for the sport. And things like behavior and language were starting to alienate some of the family/businessman base. That is why this has become an issue.

This is how I missed the Malone goal on Friday.

Security guard noticed that some fans have moved up one row... I don't know exactly why that mattered, I don't recall anyone sitting in those seats. In any case, during play, he confronts them and tells them to move back, which they do and so it goes... Oh yeah, the puck was in play the entire time this was going on. I realized something had happened when everyone started cheering.

I was livid.

My tickets were next to the penalty box for the subway classic. Anyone know who the two guys wearing suits were doing that stand near the back of the box (by the entrance into it)? They seemed to be pointing out individuals throughout the crowd to security. Not sure what they were looking for. While we did look up info on the players in the box and yelled some things at them, security didn't like us shouting between the breaks in the glass. Basically had to appear like we were yelling elsewhere. Too tame in my opinion. Didn't even swear.... just took info about people such as their sisters' names and ran with it :angry:

This is how I missed the Malone goal on Friday.

Security guard noticed that some fans have moved up one row... I don't know exactly why that mattered, I don't recall anyone sitting in those seats. In any case, during play, he confronts them and tells them to move back, which they do and so it goes... Oh yeah, the puck was in play the entire time this was going on. I realized something had happened when everyone started cheering.

I was livid.

Put a jerk in a renta cop uniform and you wind up with a bigger jerk.

Put a jerk in a renta cop uniform and you wind up with a bigger jerk.

Imagine what would have gone down had I stood up!

And, to be honest with you... not all rentacops were jerks.

My lower bowl seats when I was a student were right above the hallway on the glass where the refs enter and exit the rink (the opponent's penalty box). The rentacop that stood in the hallway most games was from Hilsboro and I can't recall his name. However, he was a funny guy and I routinely joked around with him between periods and during warmups.

There was another rentacop who, for a time, checked our signs once we got into the arena (not quite sure how this worked since I thought they'd check them as we entered... YaneA made the signs so I never brought them in). He was funny and a fair guy too. He never really confiscated any signs I was aware of (or remembered).

Times must've changed.

Imagine what would have gone down had I stood up!

And, to be honest with you... not all rentacops were jerks.

My lower bowl seats when I was a student were right above the hallway on the glass where the refs enter and exit the rink (the opponent's penalty box). The rentacop that stood in the hallway most games was from Hilsboro and I can't recall his name. However, he was a funny guy and I routinely joked around with him between periods and during warmups.

There was another rentacop who, for a time, checked our signs once we got into the arena (not quite sure how this worked since I thought they'd check them as we entered... YaneA made the signs so I never brought them in). He was funny and a fair guy too. He never really confiscated any signs I was aware of (or remembered).

Times must've changed.

I think he's the guy that confiscated a sign I made and gave to a student in the lower bowl of the student section. It was really cute. It had cute little yellow chickens all over it and it said, "Cheep, Cheap, Punkobitch!" I don't know why he confiscated it. :angry:

I think he's the guy that confiscated a sign I made and gave to a student in the lower bowl of the student section. It was really cute. It had cute little yellow chickens all over it and it said, "Cheep, Cheap, Punkobitch!" I don't know why he confiscated it. :angry:

CUTE!!!

I don't remember who the cops were, but I have known people who had a pad of paper and pen and were playing hangman with the opposing players in the penalty box. The rent a cops came and took away the pad of paper, but not the pen...so they used one guys stomach for awhile. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Appears that the Ralph is listening to the fans and hopefully, will loosen the reins on the rent a cops. I don't condone chanting 'ef the anyones' over and over again. But, if the rent a cops are interferring with expected, routine fan involvement during the games, the Ralph has to loosen up the rules. Here's a copy of an email I received today,

Here at the Ralph Engelstad Arena we are looking for ways to improve the hockey experience for our guests. We

well fightingsioux jsut had a release about standing up and cheering

DATE

This note is to inform you all that standing up should only be performed in the act of getting out of your seat to leave the arena. Otherwise, sitting down is the only acceptable posture while puck is in play.

Thank you.

Is that about right?

NOTE.JPG

Stand Up & Cheer - First Period, First Whistle!!

We want to thank all of our season ticket holders for participating in our e-mail feedback campaign surrounding crowd behavior and atmosphere. You provided important feedback that we will use to keep the atmosphere at Fighting Sioux men's hockey games the best in the country.

We have implemented changes that you may already be aware of, but wanted to communicate to you a new tradition for Fighting Sioux Hockey that we will begin this weekend against Wisconsin. We are asking all fans to "Stand Up & Cheer" at the beginning of the first period until the first whistle. Make as much noise as you can in order to raise the roof at the drop of the puck!

This was a suggestion we were given during one of our open forums with current UND students and we know it will add to an event that's already very special.

So, "Stand Up & Cheer" until the first whistle of the first period. Thanks for joining us in this initiative.

GO SIOUX!

University of North Dakota Department of Athletics

We have implemented changes that you may already be aware of, but wanted to communicate to you a new tradition for Fighting Sioux Hockey that we will begin this weekend against Wisconsin. We are asking all fans to "Stand Up & Cheer" at the beginning of the first period until the first whistle.

New tradition? Students were doing that long before and the entire time I was at UND.

Hate to say, I'm with redwing; I wonder if the subtext is "all fans are expected to remain respectfully seated during play except during the designated standing time -- the first 23 seconds of each game".

NOTE.JPG

Stand Up & Cheer - First Period, First Whistle!!

We want to thank all of our season ticket holders for participating in our e-mail feedback campaign surrounding crowd behavior and atmosphere. You provided important feedback that we will use to keep the atmosphere at Fighting Sioux men's hockey games the best in the country.

We have implemented changes that you may already be aware of, but wanted to communicate to you a new tradition for Fighting Sioux Hockey that we will begin this weekend against Wisconsin. We are asking all fans to "Stand Up & Cheer" at the beginning of the first period until the first whistle. Make as much noise as you can in order to raise the roof at the drop of the puck!

This was a suggestion we were given during one of our open forums with current UND students and we know it will add to an event that's already very special.

So, "Stand Up & Cheer" until the first whistle of the first period. Thanks for joining us in this initiative.

GO SIOUX!

University of North Dakota Department of Athletics

I think it's a great Idea.