SiouxSports.com Forum

crowd chant

darell1976

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are absolutely correct. If you can't use the F-Bomb in your cheers what the heck is the sense of the players playing the games at all. There will be no way to cheer at all if you can't use F bombs. It makes such a difference because the opposing teams hear it and are so intimidated few of them want to venture out on the ice. Without the F bombs, no way do Sioux teams come out fired up. There is no way we have 7 national championships without that particular cheer even though the crowds didn't yell it in unison until just recently and we haven't won a national title in the time it has been a common cheer. In fact if the candy a..... who aren't man enough to use those words in a public arena like this, get their way then the team will quit winning. There will be no more reason to live much less go to school. The Gopher fans said the word so we should be able to also. Hitler invaded Poland ( or was it Ralph?) and the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor and this issue pales in comparison so it isn't an issue. Don't try and convince me the tribes might not wish to let us use the Sioux name if we use these cheers. Other teams would never respond by yelling back F the Sioux so that is not a factor. I could certainly go on and on but it is like trying to convince a drunk they shouldn't drive. Some of you just don't get it. The fans who think it is anything worth keeping as part of UND hockey tradition are wrong. I would wonder how they ever got into UND in the first place. (I thought we had raised the admissions standards). We need to be smarter than that.

Amen!!

You guys are absolutely correct. If you can't use the F-Bomb in your cheers what the heck is the sense of the players playing the games at all. There will be no way to cheer at all if you can't use F bombs. It makes such a difference because the opposing teams hear it and are so intimidated few of them want to venture out on the ice. Without the F bombs, no way do Sioux teams come out fired up. There is no way we have 7 national championships without that particular cheer even though the crowds didn't yell it in unison until just recently and we haven't won a national title in the time it has been a common cheer. In fact if the candy a..... who aren't man enough to use those words in a public arena like this, get their way then the team will quit winning. There will be no more reason to live much less go to school. The Gopher fans said the word so we should be able to also. Hitler invaded Poland ( or was it Ralph?) and the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor and this issue pales in comparison so it isn't an issue. Don't try and convince me the tribes might not wish to let us use the Sioux name if we use these cheers. Other teams would never respond by yelling back F the Sioux so that is not a factor. I could certainly go on and on but it is like trying to convince a drunk they shouldn't drive. Some of you just don't get it. The fans who think it is anything worth keeping as part of UND hockey tradition are wrong. I would wonder how they ever got into UND in the first place. (I thought we had raised the admissions standards). We need to be smarter than that.

Did I say that UND fans should use the F word? Did I say the F word is a part of Sioux hockey tradition? Why are you quoting me? I've been to plenty of sporting events in plenty of arenas and people swear. I think it being brought up that the gophers do it is just to show that all teams do it. It's not some lawless conspiracy at UND to swear at teams.

And everybody knows the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. :D

I'm ok with disallowing it provided that the big $$$ donors are held to the same accountability.

If they are saying it too, then they should be kicked out as well.

But then again, words even like the F word shouldn't be grounds for ejection unless it is directed at abusing an individual such as a coach, player, REA staff, or security.

And as silly as this is going to sound: If you want to get rid of a lot of swearing, stop or restrict the sale of alcohol. booze loosens the tongue.

Why does it come down to 'if they do it to .... they better do it to....' or 'if they do it we can do it'? Honestly, I don't mind the occasional ef bomb. I hate to admit it, but one or two has escaped my mouth a time or two, not as part of a chant, usually as a reaction to something that happened on the ice.

Just quit with the stupid, continuous, efing chanting of 'F... the goofs!'

Just curious, what big $$$$ donors chant 'F... the goofs'?

Who cares?

I mean obviously the university has to send out an email like that, but it's not like it's a big deal.

Let's be real here....most of the students who go to these games are only programmed to hate the Gophers. They don't know much about the Sioux team, they just know to hate the Gophers. A weird type of obsession.

Some gems I heard sitting in the section:

"What's Kristo's first name?"

"I didn't know we still had Jon Toews"

But seriously, F The Gophers, although funny the first time or two, gets a little boring after a while. It's hard to not laugh at a group who is so uncreative that they can't think of anything better than that.

Who cares?

I mean obviously the university has to send out an email like that, but it's not like it's a big deal.

Let's be real here....most of the students who go to these games are only programmed to hate the Gophers. They don't know much about the Sioux team, they just know to hate the Gophers. A weird type of obsession.

But seriously, F The Gophers, although funny the first time or two, gets a little boring after a while. It's hard to not laugh at a group who is so uncreative that they can't think of anything better than that.

The day after the Blake Wheeler goal in the Final Five championship game against the Sioux, I trekked over to BIG for my son's mite's hockey practice and endured a day full of ribbing. A self-proclaimed "huge Gopher fan" razzed me more than the rest and I told him we'd see what happened the next week at the regional. His response? "Huh...isn't the season over?". I had to explain to him that that was just the conference tournament and that NCAA play was the following weekend.

I also spend the entire Final Five last year trying to convince the maroon-and-gold fans behind me that the one-and-done finish at the Final Five probably cost the 'U' its season. I was told that Minnesota was a "shoo-in' to make the NCAA tournment.

Dimwit fans exist in all colors, gopherz.

And, hey, if f*** the Gophers is a lame cheer, you must never get bored of this one, huh?

Whoaaa....you buddy...you're outta here...you hack...and you suck...you worthless piece of shiiiiiiii

Kind of like M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A, eh?

Not at all actually.

School song vs. F The Gophers?

Nice try though.....and I think you hear M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A a lot less at a Gopher game than you do F the Gopher at a Sioux/Gopher games....and it actually has a purpose. And the whole crowd participates. Nice try though.

Im not saying the F bomb is good but my son goes to UND and he has a few classes with some hockey players. The recreasim and tourism studys or whatever you call it. He said the UND players talked to some of there buddys (yes they still have friends from high school and USHL) on the gophers and said that the Gopher freshman really got rattled with the F the gopher chant. I guess they couldn't here anything the first couple minutes of the first period o firdays game and that really rattled them. And lucia wasn't to happy with the chant either. Said that this is the wrost/most intimidating arena to play.

Now idk if they mean the f bomb rattled them or jsut how loud the chant was but cant we get different chant going thats just as loud. like maverick rejects or somtin.

Not at all actually.

Nice try though.....and I think you hear M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A a lot less at a Gopher game than you do F the Gopher at a Sioux/Gopher games....and it actually has a purpose. And the whole crowd participates. Nice try though.

You were talking about boring and uncreative things.

.....and I think you hear M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A a lot less at a Gopher game...

Well, when you're shut-out on back-to-back Friday nights, there aren't many opportunities to chant that other than pre-game warm-ups. Look on the bright side, though, that football team is turning things around...oh, wait, nevermind...

Who cares?

Is it creative to chant B.S. after a penalty is called? I heard that loud and clear on FSN North last weekend.

Oh, and I have a gopher fan in my office that I had to explain that they play 2 game weekend series in college hockey. He didn't know how the college hockey schedule operates, let alone the players names.

Not at all actually.

It's already been said, but you gals all sing that song after you score a goal. I guess the good thing is that your voices aren't getting worn out this year.

Well, when you're shut-out on back-to-back Friday nights, there aren't many opportunities to chant that other than pre-game warm-ups. Look on the bright side, though, that football team is turning things around...oh, wait, nevermind...

Brewster's doing as well in his third year as Ferentz and Alvarez did and they seemed to work out. Enjoy taking on the football powers that are Stonybrook and Augustana. I bet those games are a lot of fun. :D

Brewster's doing as well in his third year as Ferentz and Alvarez did and they seemed to work out. Enjoy taking on the football powers that are Stonybrook and Augustana. I bet those games are a lot of fun. :D

Bet losing to NDSU was fun too! Too bad you didn't play for a trophy, then you will have yet one more empty trophy case. At least the Sioux still have the Nickel Trophy.

I'm just surprised that the Gopher hockey team hasn't been entangled in some sort of scandal like the men's basketball team or the football team seem to find themselves in every so often. University of Minnesota-Scandal, located in Minneapolis/St. Paul, just have to wonder who does the schoolwork for Lucia's boys.

Let's back that up with some facts, shall we?

Brewster Overall and Big-10 records (in parentheses)

1-11 (0-8)

7-6 (3-5)

4-4 (2-3)

Ferentz Overall and Big-10 records (in parentheses)

1-10 (0-8)

3-9 (3-5)

7-5 (4-4)

Alvarez Overall and Big-10 records (in parentheses)

1-10 (0-8)

5-6 (2-6)

5-6 (3-5)

Pretty comparable first years, improvement from Ferentz and Alvarez in year three over year two. If you think the Gophers will wind up better than last year's 7-6 record, you're crazy. Ferentz and Alvarez both made HUGE leaps in year four...we'll see what Brewster does next season.

The day after the Blake Wheeler goal in the Final Five championship game against the Sioux, I trekked over to BIG for my son's mite's hockey practice and endured a day full of ribbing. A self-proclaimed "huge Gopher fan" razzed me more than the rest and I told him we'd see what happened the next week at the regional. His response? "Huh...isn't the season over?". I had to explain to him that that was just the conference tournament and that NCAA play was the following weekend.

Funny thing is Mafia, he really was right.

It's just that neither of you knew it yet. :D

Let's back that up with some facts, shall we?

Brewster Overall and Big-10 records (in parentheses)

1-11 (0-8)

7-6 (3-5)

4-4 (2-3)

Ferentz Overall and Big-10 records (in parentheses)

1-10 (0-8)

3-9 (3-5)

7-5 (4-4)

Alvarez Overall and Big-10 records (in parentheses)

1-10 (0-8)

5-6 (2-6)

5-6 (3-5)

Pretty comparable first years, improvement from Ferentz and Alvarez in year three over year two. If you think the Gophers will wind up better than last year's 7-6 record, you're crazy. Ferentz and Alvarez both made HUGE leaps in year four...we'll see what Brewster does next season.

If the Gophers beat MSU this weekend a 7-5(4-4) regular season record is a lock. Impossible to predict the bowl game without knowing the opponent but 8-5 isn't out of the question like you say. I'm not bragging about our football program but a UND fan mentioning football as a jab to a fan of a Big Ten school is funny.

And you say those two had better improvement from year two to three than Brewster has but thats because Brewster did MUCH better than they did in year two. Plus Brewster can still have a better year three than two, we dont know yet.