SiouxSports.com Forum

Spirit Lake Tribal Council Resolution

YaneA

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not an attorney, but this resolution should meet the requirements of the court settlement with the NC$$ as far as Spirit Lake is concerned. That is 1/2 of the basic requirement needed to keep the nickname and logo. Standing Rock is still an issue. The makeup of the tribal council after the next election will probably determine if they will allow a vote on the issue and whether such a vote would have any value. Remember, they don't have a process to make that vote binding. It would be a recommendation to the tribal council and the council could decide whether to accept or not.

However, that clause in the settlement that allows the tribes to change their mind is still a major roadblock. UND administration and any potential leagues may have concerns about the long term viability of the name without a long term arrangement (it doesn't have to be 30 years). My uninformed guess is that the wording of the resolution may help a little in that matter. The resolution recognizes and accepts the results of the vote that was taken. This could set a precedent for Spirit Lake and any change would have to go to a vote of the people. Of course, the nickname opponents claimed last spring that they were going to arrange another election to vote against the nickname. If they could get that election and the results were reversed, would that be enough to change the name again? Would UND, the SBoHE and potential league partners worry about that?

This issue is not decided yet. To rework an analogy, the fat lady is in the building but she hasn't started warming up to sing yet. I don't know if the SBoHE tried to do this or not, but it looks like setting an earlier decision deadline may have been what was needed to spur some kind of action. As is often the case, nothing happens with a lot of issues until close to the deadline when it becomes really important to a lot of people. Strike deadlines in contract negotiations are often the same way. People finally accepted that the issue was going to be decided one way or the other and they are finally working to accomplish something. I hope they can reach an agreement that works for the vast majority.

Words can't describe the elation I'm feeling.

Yes, I understand that this isn't over. However, it makes me feel great, that to at least one group of people, that they understand what the nickname and logo means to an entire community disregarding the color of one's skin, one's history and background, or one's opinions. When someone uses the term Sioux to describe themselves, they are breaking a barrier and considering themself part of the Sioux family, which dates back 100s of years. Only respect and love for that name can be used to describe that.

Whether or not Standing Rock understands that is fine, because at least one group gets "it." Thank you Spirit Lake.

(PS, how fitting is it that this happened on the day of a certain someone's passing?)

Hopefully this will be the new timeline.

1. The SBoHE seeing this moves the deadline to say late Oct-Nov.

2. The Standing Rock's new tribal Council (which does NOT include Ron His Horse just Died) votes on the nickname issue without the tribal members.

3. If the tribe still doesn't accept the name then have the entire tribe vote on the name and if approved (according to Archie Fool Bear it will) then sign the resolution.

4. Agree to a 30year deal along with the Spirit Lake so we don't do this every year.

5. Have the NCAA accept this and we can truely say the University of North Dakota....FIGHTING SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from KNOX radio: Grant Shaft says, "As of now, October 1 is the date. I have yet to see anything formal that would cause us to change that date."

The ND SBoHE meets in Grand Forks today. I want to assume he was interviewed by KNOX before he had heard about the new resoloution at Spirit Lake.

What a slam to the Spirit Lake nation and to the Standing Rock if they don't move the date. I see the SBoHE taking the blame for it NOT UND.

If things don't go well with SR, I hereby nominate the nickname of "Spirit", with a new logo designed that looks exactly like the old one.

If things don't go well with SR, I hereby nominate the nickname of "Spirit", with a new logo designed that looks exactly like the old one.

The court settlement does not allow Native American imagery to be used (without the support of both reservations) so the logo would not be able to be used unless both Spirit Lake and Standing Rock allow it.

I would just like to thank the Spirit Lake nickname supporters and the council for their work and the resulting resolution.

I still feel they don't owe this to anyone. I believe that they are doing it for their own reasons. I still appreciate it all, regardless of the final outcome.

Thank you, Spirit Lake.

I would just like to thank the Spirit Lake nickname supporters and the council for their work and the resulting resolution.

I still feel they don't owe this to anyone. I believe that they are doing it for their own reasons. I still appreciate it all, regardless of the final outcome.

Thank you, Spirit Lake.

I agree totaly, it time some group did what is what the majority wants and not bow down to a few in the minority.

Great Work Spirit Lake You are a Proud People.

Thank you, Spirit Lake.

I agree with you as well. Now SR, lets get it done...