SiouxSports.com Forum

Spirit Lake Tribal Council Resolution

YaneA

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been discussion about the pipe ceremony at Standing Rock and whether or not that should be upheld as approval for UND to use the nickname. It would seem, with Spirit Lake's resolution and RHHiT continuing to insist that the SR council would not support the nickname that the validity of the pipe ceremony may becoming more and more important.

There has been discussion about the pipe ceremony at Standing Rock and whether or not that should be upheld as approval for UND to use the nickname. It would seem, with Spirit Lake's resolution and RHHiT continuing to insist that the SR council would not support the nickname that the validity of the pipe ceremony may becoming more and more important.

If RHHiT gets voted out of office I seem to think the wheels are going to be rolling fast to get something done.

I think that the Standing Rock tribal council would still have to issue a statement of support for the nickname. As far as I can tell, the NC$$ and the court settlement both recognize a tribal council resolution against the nickname. They will not jump over that to the pipe ceremony unless the tribal council decides to overrule their current resolution and go back to uphold the pipe ceremony. That will not happen with the current makeup of the tribal council. It might be possible with an influx of new council members via the election. But I have not heard where any of the candidates stand except for the tribal chairmen candidates. RHHiT of course is against. The last I heard, Mr. Murphy is in favor of letting the people decide the issue. If Mr. Murphy wins it might be possible to have a vote.

What do you make of this?

http://www.areavoices.com/gfhcitybeat/

I got an e-mail from Terry Morgan, an opponent of the UND Fighting Sioux nickname. Apparently, the Spirit Lake Tribal Council had passed a resolution that may or may not support the nickname, depending on who you ask. I'd heard about this since last week, but hadn't had a chance to confirm.

Three clauses that I thought were especially important in the resolution are as follows:

"A significant majority of the membership voted in favor of allowing UND to continue using the Fighting Sioux name and logo." [This is true. Sixty-seven percent of tribal voters said "yes" to the nickname."

"Now therefore be it resolved that the Tribal Council goes on record to officially accept election results of April 23, 2009, for University of North Dakota logo and name retention."

"Be it further resolved that the Tribal Council concurs with the wishes of the Spirit Lake people."

Terry believes that this is not a full support of the nickname by the Tribal Council. The settlement with the NCAA, which thinks Indian nicknames are racist, says councils have to support the nicknames. I think his point is that the council didn't say it supported the nickname. It just said the referendum supported the nickname.

Nickname supporters I talked to think the resolution is exactly what the NCAA requires.

Nickname opponents must be feeling the heat, as there's another DYB article in the paper. http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/133678/

Does she read the paper she is a (guest) columnist for?

She blames UND for people calling her a Prairie N. well if the name goes so does the name calling, and joblessness, alcoholism and all the other problems on reservations?? Why is the Sioux nickname an excuse for everything. Whats next they are going to blame the Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians, how about the Mandan Braves, Four Winds Warriors, Warroad Warriors blame their Indian nicknames for your problems.

She blames UND for people calling her a Prairie N. well if the name goes so does the name calling, and joblessness, alcoholism and all the other problems on reservations?? Why is the Sioux nickname an excuse for everything. Whats next they are going to blame the Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians, how about the Mandan Braves, Four Winds Warriors, Warroad Warriors blame their Indian nicknames for your problems.

Yes darell, exactly. Once the name is removed, the quality of life on the North Dakota reservations will see a dramatic increase. Name calling, unemployment and alcoholism, which exist because of things such as our nickname and logo, will be amazingly just go away.

Doesn't that sound nice?

What do you make of this?

http://www.areavoices.com/gfhcitybeat/

When I read the language in the first article (essentially that the council has recognized that the referendum was valid), it didn't strike me as sufficient to satisfy the NCAA, let alone the SBoHE (which requires an explicit 30 year contract). It's fair to assume the latter is somewhat fungible, and Stenehjem said he thought the resolution was sufficient to satisfy the NCAA. Since he was directly involved in the negotiations, I stopped questioning it.

The three statements you quoted, taken together, are reasonably direct support for the continued use of the name. However, it would have been nice if the council instead would have just come out with their own statement of support for the nickname, citing tribal sentiment as the reason (throw in a 30 year approval window, too, since they knew that's what UND needs).

Read the article I linked to:

If it's so, so, SO terrible, why'd he come back to get a second, ... and a THIRD, degree from UND.

When someone of a different race than me(white) claims they have been discriminated against, I tend to take their word for it instead of insinuating they're lying simply because they didn't run from the situation.

When I read the language in the first article (essentially that the council has recognized that the referendum was valid), it didn't strike me as sufficient to satisfy the NCAA, let alone the SBoHE (which requires an explicit 30 year contract). It's fair to assume the latter is somewhat fungible, and Stenehjem said he thought the resolution was sufficient to satisfy the NCAA. Since he was directly involved in the negotiations, I stopped questioning it.

The three statements you quoted, taken together, are reasonably direct support for the continued use of the name. However, it would have been nice if the council instead would have just come out with their own statement of support for the nickname, citing tribal sentiment as the reason (throw in a 30 year approval window, too, since they knew that's what UND needs).

The tribal council itself does not support the nickname. I would assume they are getting political pressure to make this statement. But they will only do the bare minimum of what they need to do. They are not going to go any further than they have to in helping the UND cause. Therefore they issue a statement stating the fact that the tribe passed the resolution and they concur with the wishes of the tribe. They will not approve the 30 year window on their own. It remains to be seen whether they will negotiate some kind of long term deal.

When someone of a different race than me(white) claims they have been discriminated against, I tend to take their word for it instead of insinuating they're lying simply because they didn't run from the situation.

Really??? :) In this new society of "I've been wronged and poor me", I tend to be a little more sceptical. My question is...why is he just speaking about this "discrimination" now?? Where was this conversation years ago if in fact it reall yhappened?? Seem a little too convenient for me. :D

Just got text from Herald. Says " Spirit Lake passes resolution for 'perpetual' use of Fighting Sioux nickname." No update on Herald's website yet.

Spirit Lake passes resolution for 'perpetual' use of Fighting Sioux nickname

The new resolution left little room for doubt. A key provision says: "The Tribal Council hereby amends tribal resolution No. A05-09-186 and affirmatively approves and supports UND's use of the current nickname and related imagery, and hereby confirms Spirit Lake Tribe's full permission for UND to continue using the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo and the duration of this authorization shall be perpetual commencing Oct. 1, 2009."

The council also added this: "UND is entrusted with the responsibility of working cooperatively with the Spirit Lake Sioux Tribe to increase the number of Native American graduates from Spirit Lake and to create a Native American program on UND campus which will bring about an air of respect and understanding amongst all students, faculty and staff at UND."

WOW! This council saw and heard what the nickname opponents were spewing at the State board meeting yesterday and went out and clarified things immediately! Nice work by those folks...now, about this Oct. 1st deadline and Standing Rock.....