SiouxSports.com Forum

Spirit Lake Tribal Council Resolution

YaneA

Just remember as Fighting Sioux nickname supporters we are all racists in the eyes of the nickname opponents. I think this week coming up is going to be an all important one. Here is what i think (wish) happens: Election held on the SR on Sept. 30th, due to the new council (minus RHHIT), the NDSBoHE decides on Oct. 1 to extend the deadline to Oct. 15th to allow a tribe-wide vote on the nickname. Nickname is approved due to the vote, SR signs approval just like SL and everyone (except a select few) are happy as UND will always be the Fighting Sioux!!!

Let's cross our fingers and hope that happens!!!!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF the name is retired, there is no reason why we can't maintain a healthy legacy of the Sioux name. It has been done before - I just saw someone today wearing a Brooklyn Dodgers shirt, Minneapolis Lakers, etc. And, we don't have to do it in a defiant way either. We can just keep the legacy of Sioux Pride.

I couldn't agree more. No matter what happens, we will ALWAYS be the Fighting Sioux, whether it's official or unofficial. If the name and logo are retired, we do NOT need a new nickname and logo. UND Fighting Sioux Pride will live on forever regardless of the election results tonight, or the SBoHE ultimate decision.

I hope this trend continues....and if it does, the SBoHE has a big issue on its hands that it doesn't want. The people are speaking, it will be a crime if the SBoHE doesn't deliver now.

Thank you Spirit Lake supporters!

Thank you Standing Rock supporters!

Your voice is being heard, and many many of your brothers and sisters at heart appreciate it.

Murphy wins!

Thank the Lord for this one. Many more steps to go now.

1) SBOHE extends the deadline tomorrow

2) Murphy allows a Standing Rock vote like he had said.

3) Standing Rock votes in favor of the nickname

4) Murphy & Co. give Tribal support for the nickname

5) SBoHE doesn't dismiss the tribal approval and agrees to keep the nickname

I think steps 1 and 5 are the biggest. Our biggest road block is the SBoHE itself now, IMO.