SiouxSports.com Forum

Spirit Lake Tribal Council Resolution

YaneA

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's where the inequal treatment of North Dakota and Central Michigan comes into play:

- In Michigan there are five Chippewa tribes and CMU only had to gain approval from the nearest (geographically) one.

- North Dakota needs both Spirit Lake (check) and Standing Rock

Yes, I know what the signed agreement says, but I also know that judges don't like it when members of an organization are treated unequally.

Statement from Spirit Lake's Committee for Understanding and Respect:

http://legacy.grandforksherald.com/pdfs/Sp...0Resolution.pdf

Good for Spirit Lake! They should ask for UND to start some programs, etc. and help out the people who are now backing UND. Its a 50/50 deal and UND better hold up their end of that deal by supporting the Spirit Lake Nation.

Good for Spirit Lake! They should ask for UND to start some programs, etc. and help out the people who are now backing UND. Its a 50/50 deal and UND better hold up their end of that deal by supporting the Spirit Lake Nation.

Agreed. I don't have a problem with that at all.

I agree however it's not as if the cupboard is empty. One estimate is that there are over 30 programs and services for Native American students at UND, and they have the Native American Cultural Center right on campus. That is not to say that more couldn't be done however I would like to see the group that is putting so much energy into getting the name taken away also put as much energy into solving the problems of unemployment, alcoholism, substance abuse, and domestic abuse that abound within the Native American community.

I am being told by a source that the recent actions of Spirit Lake are of no matter.

The State Board set the bar unreachably high on purpose, with the intention of dropping the name.

The deal is done.

The fix is in.

The name is gone come October 1.

(I'm repeating what's been passed to me so please don't shoot the messenger.)

I am being told by a source that the recent actions of Spirit Lake are of no matter.

The State Board set the bar unreachably high on purpose, with the intention of dropping the name.

The deal is done.

The fix is in.

Somehow that's not a surprise.

I find myself agreeing with Sic. I'd like Eades to be right, but I don't think he will.

I just think that the SBoHE really wanted to be known for not being known nationally. The nickname has brought publicity to ND and it isn't all positive. If it isn't positive, they aren't interested.

They're shallow skinned, spineless, blue blooded dyed in the wool liberals (and, yes, there is a difference between liberals and democrats) who just want everyone to like them and can't handle conflict.

It's a crying shame.

What Spirit Lake did Friday should satisfy the NCAA settlement. However, ... that's only one of the two tribes required by the NCAA settlement.

What's interesting is the State Board's ask: a 30 year agreement. I'm not sure that the Spirit Lake resolution (revokable) meets the State Board's self-imposed standard of an agreement (which I'm pretty sure they intend as a binding contract).

I can't say I blame the board, as they don't want to have this continue as an on-going concern.

In retrospect, the NCAA settlement was set to impede UND in that it required both tribes (where Central Michigan only requires one of five in Michigan). Then on top of an already high standard, the state board adds in a tighter date and a "30 year agreement" requirement. All that leads me to believe that the bar has been set to unreachable heights ... on purpose.

So, who made the final decisions to sign off on the NCAA settlement and the state board's additional requirements? And what were their motivations and intentions?

If all of the politicos have meant what they've said (i.e. "let the tribes have a voice," "we need to see something definite from the tribes," etc., etc.), this is the last thing that they'll do. I hope they're not that stupid. I can not imagine all of the work of the pro-nicknamers and alumni and others going for naught. They must know something that the rest of us don't, I would think. I can not accept that the Board would just be arrogant or stupid enough to do this. Grant Shaft said that the Board would defer to the anaysis of the AG and the AG said that what the SL Tribe did (before the very most resolution) suffices to satisfy the NCAA agreement and he said that the Board should extend the deadline. The SL Tribe gave exactly more than what the Board asked for, namely, "perpetual" permission to use the nickname and logo. With 95% of the people in favor of keeping the nickname and 67% of the SL Tribe and probably the same percentage of SR Tribe wanting the school to continue using the name, would the Board really be that pig-headed (dare I say stupid)?

The deal is done.

The fix is in.

This has been my feeling all along:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry395398

When UND took the NC$$ to court the only real reason was to get them to retract the hostile and abusive label. The rest was just a sham, they had no intention of really trying to keep the nickname.

What UND and the state board didn't count on was that the tribal membership would take the lead in trying to save the name. Pretty much a reversal of what most would have thought when the lawsuit was filed against the NC$$. Most would have said that UND and the state board would be fighting to keep the name...when in reality UND and the state board are doing everything they can to eliminate the name without having to take the blame. UND is insulating themselves by saying it is not their decision, while the state board is a group of unelected individuals, unlikely too many will place the blame on elected officials.

If they really want to keep the nickname they would let this play out with Standing Rock.

Wait till the elections and see what the makeup of the tribal council is and see what can be done.

The road blocks that the state board and UND keeps putting up just validates my feelings on this.

This does not have to be resolved by 10/1 so we can get into the Summit. I firmly beleive the Summit League wants UND and is just throwing the nickname issue out to help UND move the timetable up so the nickname can go before both tribes can agree.

They also don't need a 30 year agreement. I understand they don't want to be held hostage on this issue every time the tribal council changes. What they need to do is get an agreement from SR which along with the recent resolution from Spirit Lake would satisfy the conditions of the NC$$ surrender agreement and should also satisfy the great Summit League.

Then UND has to work with both tribal councils to put in place something of tangible benefit to the tribes (some will see this as a bribe, I don't have a problem with this) that is tied into UND keeping the name and logo. That way future tribal councils will know exactly what it will cost the tribe if they revoke their support...the councils may be very wary of approaching this issue in the future if they know that 1) the membership is in favor and 2) they will lose something tangible ($$$, scholarships, etc).

Imagine if SR would come out with a resolution tomorrow supporting the nickname but said nothing about a 30 year agreement. We would then have both tribes agreeing to the nickname and yet the state board, based on what they have said, would still retire the name. I think that tells you all you need to know on the where the state board and UND really stand on this issue and how commited they are to retaining the Fighting Sioux legacy.

The deal is done.

The fix is in.

I've been saying as much since the surrender "settlement" was announced.

What the board didn't count on was the tribes stepping up. I believe they had a plan in place, (with plenty of roadblocks like mentioned above) the name was about to be retired, but then this Spirit Lake resolution came about. This totally changes things in my opinion. If the board says the name goes Oct 1st, not only have they pissed off hundreds of thousands of people in favor of the name, they have chosen to IGNORE the Spirit Lake people/tribal council. I cannot see this happening. I think they have no choice but to push back the deadline, and let the Standing Rock situation play out. Ideally, for the State Board, Standing Rock votes down the nickname, then it will be retired. If they support the name, how could the Board possibly vote to retire it?

I believe the agenda was clear, but things are totally different now. It's a whole new ballgame.

This has been my feeling all along:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry395398

When UND took the NC$$ to court the only real reason was to get them to retract the hostile and abusive label. The rest was just a sham, they had no intention of really trying to keep the nickname.

What UND and the state board didn't count on was that the tribal membership would take the lead in trying to save the name. Pretty much a reversal of what most would have thought when the lawsuit was filed against the NC$$. Most would have said that UND and the state board would be fighting to keep the name...when in reality UND and the state board are doing everything they can to eliminate the name without having to take the blame. UND is insulating themselves by saying it is not their decision, while the state board is a group of unelected individuals, unlikely too many will place the blame on elected officials.

If they really want to keep the nickname they would let this play out with Standing Rock.

Wait till the elections and see what the makeup of the tribal council is and see what can be done.

The road blocks that the state board and UND keeps putting up just validates my feelings on this.

This does not have to be resolved by 10/1 so we can get into the Summit. I firmly beleive the Summit League wants UND and is just throwing the nickname issue out to help UND move the timetable up so the nickname can go before both tribes can agree.

They also don't need a 30 year agreement. I understand they don't want to be held hostage on this issue every time the tribal council changes. What they need to do is get an agreement from SR which along with the recent resolution from Spirit Lake would satisfy the conditions of the NC$$ surrender agreement and should also satisfy the great Summit League.

Then UND has to work with both tribal councils to put in place something of tangible benefit to the tribes (some will see this as a bribe, I don't have a problem with this) that is tied into UND keeping the name and logo. That way future tribal councils will know exactly what it will cost the tribe if they revoke their support...the councils may be very wary of approaching this issue in the future if they know that 1) the membership is in favor and 2) they will lose something tangible ($$$, scholarships, etc).

Imagine if SR would come out with a resolution tomorrow supporting the nickname but said nothing about a 30 year agreement. We would then have both tribes agreeing to the nickname and yet the state board, based on what they have said, would still retire the name. I think that tells you all you need to know on the where the state board and UND really stand on this issue and how commited they are to retaining the Fighting Sioux legacy.

Better summary could not be written.

I don't think the State Board is comitted to retaining the name. The speeding up of the dead line to October 1st basically sent their message.

I don't think the State Board is comitted to retaining the name. The speeding up of the dead line to October 1st basically sent their message.

If this is how it goes down...it's not going to go over very well. ;) I mean what's right is right...right?