SiouxSports.com Forum

Spirit Lake Tribal Council Resolution

YaneA

As important as Murphy winning is to keep some hope alive for the name, it is just as important what the makeup of the tribal council is after this election. 11 of 17 seats were up for election, I believe. If a majority of the council is against the name then it may not matter who is the chairman.

I believe I read somewhere that the state board would only consider extending the deadline if one of the tribes requested it. Got about 7 hours to get that request in.

Logic says to give the new tribal chair and council a little time to see what can be done. I would hope the state board would extend the deadline at least a few weeks right now to give the new chairmain and council enoough time to consider their options.

If the state board refuses to extend the deadline and terminates the Fighting Sioux name on Thursday, then the full blame for this will reside with them and UND. If UND was fighting to keep the name they would be asking the board to extend the deadline. All I have heard from them is that "it is out of our hands"...they haven't seemed willing to fight to keep the name ever since the surrender agreement with the NC$$. They don't seem to have the backbone to stand up on either side of this issue. They need to show some guts and take a stand either way but please take a stand ! Personally, if the name goes, I will place most of the blame on UND due to the way they have handled this.

In the past few months we have seen Spirit Lake vote overwhelming in favor of the name, their tribal council has passed a resolution granting UND permission to use the name, and now new elections at Standing Rock may have opened a window to get a vote from their members. If, after all this, the state board still decides to eliminate the name right away then it will show, beyond any doubt, where they and UND really stand on this issue. It would be a complete slap in the face to the people of Spirit Lake and Standing Rock who have been working in good faith to try to keep the name.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news to hear! If Ron His Horse is Thunder was re-elected as Tribal Chair any chance or hope for retaining the nickname would've been gone. While this may be just a small piece of the puzzle this can definitely set things in motion in regards to UND retaining the "Fighting Sioux" nickname.

Standing Rock did their part. Step 1 complete. Now it's up to the SBoHE to allow this to play out. Unless this somehow jeopardizes the whole Summit league initiative which is apparently what the University really cares about.

Let Standing Rock be heard!

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/news/state-...1cc4c03286.html

Whoever wrote this article obviously hasn't been paying attention to recent events:

"UND is the only school deemed by the NCAA to have a "hostile or abusive" logo or nickname not to have changed the name or been granted a waiver to keep it. Unless the school gets the permission of the state's two Sioux tribes to keep the nickname, which is unlikely, it must change the name or its teams won't be allowed to compete in postseason tournaments starting next year."

UND is the only school deemed by the NCAA to have a "hostile or abusive" logo or nickname not to have changed the name or been granted a waiver to keep it. Unless the school gets the permission of the state's two Sioux tribes to keep the nickname, which is unlikely, it must change the name or its teams won't be allowed to compete in postseason tournaments starting next year.

That statement is wrong, UND could keep the name they just can't wear it during the post season in NCAA sponsered events. Nice article not heavy on fact though.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/news/state-...1cc4c03286.html

Whoever wrote this article obviously hasn't been paying attention to recent events:

"UND is the only school deemed by the NCAA to have a "hostile or abusive" logo or nickname not to have changed the name or been granted a waiver to keep it. Unless the school gets the permission of the state's two Sioux tribes to keep the nickname, which is unlikely, it must change the name or its teams won't be allowed to compete in postseason tournaments starting next year."

That's called "Don Adam reporting", also known as "I just make this $#!+ up as I go along."

Many more steps to go now.

1) SBOHE extends the deadline tomorrow

2) Murphy allows a Standing Rock vote like he had said.

3) Standing Rock votes in favor of the nickname

4) Murphy & Co. give Tribal support for the nickname

5) SBoHE doesn't dismiss the tribal approval and agrees to keep the nickname

1. Murphy was on the ND SBoHE for seven months. (He couldn't keep up with the time commitment and resigned.) However, that should give him some credibility with that group. That's good news.

2. What about the rest of those elected yesterday? What about the 2/3 council vote needed to a) repeal the ban on tribal referendums (savvy play by RHHIT getting that one passed just last year), and b) 2/3 council vote needed to call for a tribal vote on the issue? That's bad news.

3. Will we get this far based on 2?

As of 8AM neither the GF Herald or the Fargo Forum have breaking news on Murphy's win, they just have talk about the protesters...i can see if its the printed paper but online come on they have breaking news throughout the day. What RHHIT getting his @ss kicked isn't worthy news. :angry:

2. What about the rest of those elected yesterday? What about the 2/3 council vote needed to a) repeal the ban on tribal referendums (savvy play by RHHIT getting that one passed just last year), and b) 2/3 council vote needed to call for a tribal vote on the issue? That's bad news.

I think the likelihood of this happening is dependent on how dedicated Murphy is to fighting for this issue.

As of 8AM neither the GF Herald or the Fargo Forum have breaking news on Murphy's win, they just have talk about the protesters...i can see if its the printed paper but online come on they have breaking news throughout the day. What RHHIT getting his @ss kicked isn't worthy news. :angry:

The Forum has a short story on it's site as of five minutes ago...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/254836/