SiouxSports.com Forum

Spirit Lake Tribal Council Resolution

YaneA

Here's a thought.

Spirit Lake tribal council reads the handwriting on the wall. They realize the State Board isn't going to move the deadline and there's not enough time for Standing Rock to do ANYTHING to forestall the eventual nickname transition.

So, what better than to come out NOW with a resolution of support.

Why?

Because when it all goes down and everyone's ticked off that the nickname went away, people aren't blaming the Native Americans. "Our resolution of support is already on the books. Don't blame us!"

It's sort of a worst case scenario and I have no idea if it played out that way but if true it would be a very astute public relations move.

Still, what I'm really hoping for is a little more flexibility from the state board than we're seeing.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a thought.

Spirit Lake tribal council reads the handwriting on the wall. They realize the State Board isn't going to move the deadline and there's not enough time for Standing Rock to do ANYTHING to forestall the eventual nickname transition.

So, what better than to come out NOW with a resolution of support.

Why?

Because when it all goes down and everyone's ticked off that the nickname went away, people aren't blaming the Native Americans. "Our resolution of support is already on the books. Don't blame us!"

It's sort of a worst case scenario and I have no idea if it played out that way but if true it would be a very astute public relations move.

Still, what I'm really hoping for is a little more flexibility from the state board than we're seeing.

Didn't they already do that?

Methinks that the SBoHE will meet on 10/01 and summarily consider the issue and refuse to extend the deadline, regardless of what happens on SR.

The NCAA started this 4 years ago, if "Due Process" was not played out to determine the truth, what does the process say? I know common sense takes a back door to most issues these days, but this would make a lot of people with common sense upset.

Mark Divver writes in a very similar style to Dave Kolpack... hmmm... ;)

Looks like the same article, why do these guys write these articles and then forget to mention the vote and how the Tribal Chairman of SR is stiffling free speech.

Who cares? There are 119 D1 football teams. If a small handful of them don't want to play us, there are plenty of others who will.

Well I think its funny that they have scheduled every Dakota school except for us, makes you feel a little left out. Its the biggest school next to us. I guess I have mixed feelings on this one. If we do not care what other schools think then why bother doing what the NCAA says and just keep the name?

Well I think its funny that they have scheduled every Dakota school except for us, makes you feel a little left out. Its the biggest school next to us. I guess I have mixed feelings on this one. If we do not care what other schools think then why bother doing what the NCAA says and just keep the name?

The vast majority of schools will follow the direction of the NCAA. If both tribes support the nickname the NCAA will approve use of the nickname. Most schools would then schedule games with UND. Minnesota is a question mark. They have chosen not to schedule games in the major sports other than hockey. I believe that some of the other UND sports have competed against Minnesota. And if the NCAA approves the nickname there is a good chance Minnesota would change their policy, but that is not guaranteed.

The vast majority of schools will follow the direction of the NCAA. If both tribes support the nickname the NCAA will approve use of the nickname. Most schools would then schedule games with UND. Minnesota is a question mark. They have chosen not to schedule games in the major sports other than hockey. I believe that some of the other UND sports have competed against Minnesota. And if the NCAA approves the nickname there is a good chance Minnesota would change their policy, but that is not guaranteed.

I have heard the same thing as well. If the NCAA approves the Sioux nickname, U of M would consider playing UND. I have also heard Iowa and Wisconsin would also play us as well as long as the NCAA approves the use of the nickname.

QUOTE (johnsowe @ Sep 25 2009, 02:17 AM)

So question If we get permission and get to keep the name well Minnesota and other schools play us?

Who cares? There are 119 D1 football teams. If a small handful of them don't want to play us, there are plenty of others who will.

Minnesota has D1 football?

Any update to this?? When is the call?

Per WDAZ News at 6:00 pm tonight: The State Board of Higher Education is leaning towards granting an extension of at least a couple weeks. They plan to hold a conference call next Thursday, October 1st to decide if they will grant an extension.

Should make for an interesting middle of next week...

Per WDAZ News at 6:00 pm tonight: The State Board of Higher Education is leaning towards granting an extension of at least a couple weeks. They plan to hold a conference call next Thursday, October 1st to decide if they will grant an extension.

Should make for an interesting middle of next week...

I assume the determining factor will be what happens during the Sept 30 SR election.

The handwriting is on the wall...

The name is going to be saved, so we can put all of these gloom and doom theories to rest once and for all. Thank you Spirit Lake, thank you State Board of Higher Education, and thank you to the nickname supporters at Standing Rock who continue to fight the good fight.

Your reading an awful lot into this small Herald article. I still believe we will end up retiring the name. I do believe there is a glimmer of hope, but I'm nowhere near as optimistic as you seem to be. I hope I am wrong.

The handwriting is on the wall...

The name is going to be saved, so we can put all of these gloom and doom theories to rest once and for all. Thank you Spirit Lake, thank you State Board of Higher Education, and thank you to the nickname supporters at Standing Rock who continue to fight the good fight.

I agree with you.I really hope we're right.

I am curious but if the Spirit Lake tribe had voted the other way would all of you still be so supportive of the tribe or start the racial comments about them again?

Obviously I wouldn't support the decision or agree with it. But what can you do? Its out of our control now. I would really hope we as Sioux fans would have the respect for the tribes still. Just because we may lose a nickname we're so proud of and do respect, wouldn't give us any right to rip apart the tribes.

Great point you bring up, I really hope we don't see racial comments no matter what happens. Its really a shame we even have to discuss losing the nickname, I still can't believe we may lose the Sioux nickname.

Obviously I wouldn't support the decision or agree with it. But what can you do? Its out of our control now. I would really hope we as Sioux fans would have the respect for the tribes still. Just because we may lose a nickname we're so proud of and do respect, wouldn't give us any right to rip apart the tribes.

Great point you bring up, I really hope we don't see racial comments no matter what happens. Its really a shame we even have to discuss losing the nickname, I still can't believe we may lose the Sioux nickname.

As a hopeless cynic, I think we will see racial comments.... but not on this board.

People are being raised stupid these days. Trust me, I see it all the time.

SO.... I expect there will be some stupidity on campus if/when the nickname gets changed. Not everyone thinks with a clear head. Not everyone is rational. And not everyone is mature in thought and mind.

EDIT: As for the resolution, I was surprised that the people voted in favor of the nickname in the first place. In fact, I couldn't believe it. The media had me THAT convinced.

I am curious but if the Spirit Lake tribe had voted the other way would all of you still be so supportive of the tribe or start the racial comments about them again?

My contention was to let the tribes speak. I grew so sick of a few ultra liberal professors and activists making this their "cause" on campus. If the tribes vote the name down, it is absolutely the time to retire the name.

As far as racial comments, those will happen whether the name is Fighting Sioux or Flickertails or Purple Warm Fuzzies....some people are just ignorant d-bags, that will never change.

Your reading an awful lot into this small Herald article. I still believe we will end up retiring the name. I do believe there is a glimmer of hope, but I'm nowhere near as optimistic as you seem to be.

I think this is the most likely outcome. :D

I know I've stated this before but it bears repeating. No matter what happens we need to take the high road. Otherwise the anti-name people will be able to point their fingers and say they were right. IF the name is retired, there is no reason why we can't maintain a healthy legacy of the Sioux name. It has been done before - I just saw someone today wearing a Brooklyn Dodgers shirt, Minneapolis Lakers, etc. And, we don't have to do it in a defiant way either. We can just keep the legacy of Sioux Pride.

Just remember as Fighting Sioux nickname supporters we are all racists in the eyes of the nickname opponents. I think this week coming up is going to be an all important one. Here is what i think (wish) happens: Election held on the SR on Sept. 30th, due to the new council (minus RHHIT), the NDSBoHE decides on Oct. 1 to extend the deadline to Oct. 15th to allow a tribe-wide vote on the nickname. Nickname is approved due to the vote, SR signs approval just like SL and everyone (except a select few) are happy as UND will always be the Fighting Sioux!!!