SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

Without really talented teams, the big ice detracts from the game. Pure and simple.

perhaps you are correct. i certainly don't have a vast array of observations to support the contrary since most of the college hockey games i watch are home sioux games that i watch online, which of course is an nhl sheet.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basketball

NBA/College 94'

FIBA 91.86'

Three point line also varies.

yes from college to pros it does but everything is the same in college vs pro. i dont care if they are all olympic or nhl, i just would like to see the same size rink. more than likely it would go all nhl i would think if it ever came to it

yes from college to pros it does but everything is the same in college vs pro. i dont care if they are all olympic or nhl, i just would like to see the same size rink. more than likely it would go all nhl i would think if it ever came to it

I was "around" when the Big Ice thing hit its zenith; I'm fairly certain it was a Herb Brooks idea. Big Ice didn't made sense to me then and it doesn't now. As to converting existing NHL-size sheets to Olympic: it's gonna be pretty hard. You've got concrete super-structures built up to the ice surface in many (most?) cases. Think of the seats (or more accurately the floor) in The Ralph; lots of concrete to tear out (and seats to lose) to make the rink wider.

Sorry for the detour. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled discussion.

I was "around" when the Big Ice thing hit its zenith; I'm fairly certain it was a Herb Brooks idea. Big Ice didn't made sense to me then and it doesn't now. As to converting existing NHL-size sheets to Olympic: it's gonna be pretty hard. You've got concrete super-structures built up to the ice surface in many (most?) cases. Think of the seats (or more accurately the floor) in The Ralph; lots of concrete to tear out (and seats to lose) to make the rink wider.

Nice point MikeJM I do remember when everyone was oh we need to go to the Olympic sheets of ice. I think if anything

they slow the game down and take the hitting out of the game. I like the NHL rinks and like watching games on the smaller rinks like the old Boston Garden, the Decc and the Aud. Everything happens faster. I remember when the NHL players first started playing on them and the North American players talked about how they hated the bigger sheets.

yes, good point. i think that is a bit different overall. thats pretty much different in every ballpark with outfield dimensions so i would classify that in its own but thats just me

Thank god all Football Fields are 100 yards long. :lol:

Good point. I usually like Nanne but tonight on the radio with the KFAN guy he propogated the MYTH that the Gophers might get in if they finish merely in the top 16 of PWR. Totally misinformed and irresponsible. College hockey isn't the same game as it was when he played.

...Nanne... College hockey isn't the same game as it was when he played.

Lou isn't the same guy he was as recently as a couple years ago. I listened to him during the MN state hockey tourney and he sounds as if he's slipped mentally. He made several statements that were simply ludicrous. He's sounding very much like a bitter, forgotten old man. That is sad for him and sad for hockey.

Lou isn't the same guy he was as recently as a couple years ago. I listened to him during the MN state hockey tourney and he sounds as if he's slipped mentally. He made several statements that were simply ludicrous. He's sounding very much like a bitter, forgotten old man. That is sad for him and sad for hockey.

If you think Lou is bad you should listen to Sid Hartman. :lol:

Lou's slide started with that failed trip to Faribault to talk ZPar out of his commitment to UND.

Lou's slide started with that failed trip to Faribault to talk ZPar out of his commitment to UND.

yeah... can't say i have any respect for the man after him and the goofs pulled those shenanigans. as much of a homer puffy the meth king was (and he was a HUGE homer), at least he knew college hockey. since he has been gone (rehab, jail, wherever he is) the college hockey talk up here is pretty poor. i listen to home ice in my truck, and its great hockey talk, but they rarely say anything about the college game.

yeah... can't say i have any respect for the man after him and the goofs pulled those shenanigans. as much of a homer puffy the meth king was (and he was a HUGE homer), at least he knew college hockey. since he has been gone (rehab, jail, wherever he is) the college hockey talk up here is pretty poor. i listen to home ice in my truck, and its great hockey talk, but they rarely say anything about the college game.

You might want to get your facts straight before you make a asshole comment.

listened to Louie today...just another Gofer apologist and bobo...he went out of his way to question the Sioux's goaltending after only a 4-3 win on Saturday against Tech...When a caller reminded him that Eidsness only finished .00000000002 points back in the goalie race to Stalock, he and best buddy Barreiro acted like they never brought up the subject in the first place...bring back Dubay; at least he admitted when he was wrong...

listened to Louie today...just another Gofer apologist and bobo...he went out of his way to question the Sioux's goaltending after only a 4-3 win on Saturday against Tech...

And I'm sure he mentioned nothing about Special K and the rest of the Gophs giving up 6 in a game to those same Huskies the week before! :lol:

I still think WI is the wild card. They are playing pretty well. They have a great shot of beating DU with the lose of all their centers. They could beat UND in the final and no play-in team has won the championship if that team beats UND. Buckey could easily steal an auto-bid this weekend, which inturn takes away an at-large bid.

listened to Louie today...just another Gofer apologist and bobo...he went out of his way to question the Sioux's goaltending after only a 4-3 win on Saturday against Tech...When a caller reminded him that Eidsness only finished .00000000002 points back in the goalie race to Stalock, he and best buddy Barreiro acted like they never brought up the subject in the first place...bring back Dubay; at least he admitted when he was wrong...

Funny, Kevin Gorg said he had questions about UND's goaltending in FSN's Final Five preview during the 2nd intermission of the Wild game last night. He and Nanne must be reading the same notes.

The Olympic rink fad was fine when the NCAA was seen as a breeding ground for Olympians. Now, pros play in the Olympics and NCAA hockey is becoming more of a breeding ground for NHL players, so it makes sense to have NHL sized rinks.

...back on topic.

You might want to get your facts straight before you make a asshole comment.

don't get you panties in a bunch there puffy...

one, i dont really care about the facts of his case, i know he was arrested for illegal drugs which caused him to no longer be doing his hockey talk, which was the point i was making. the moniker i made was in jest, if you don't like it, tell puffy to stay off the dope.

two, why are you on here? your teams site is up and running i'm sure, go join in over there, im sure there must be a kangas for hobey thread by now after his impressive "win streak". no one is forcing you to be part of these discussions with a-holes such as myself.