SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

question for pwr peeps

if uaa loses tonight and falls from the TUC and duluth wins can duluth tie the gophers even if gophers win? but i guess uaa may hang in as a TUC with a loss

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/pwr/

man if umd does win tonight and gophs do as well they would have play in game, that game could really be a ncaa birth game and loser may go home. man this is gona be fun to watch play out

Things are still fluid, but right now for UMD to take the comparison with the Gophers they likely need to beat them and then win one additional game. If UMD goes W-L-L at the X, they would likely fall back behind the Gophers in RPI and their CO record vs. the Gophers would fall by two games.

I don't know what happened to UMD that last weekend vs. AA. Of all the teams I saw I thought UMD was better than all but UND and Denver. Stalock had a terrible weekend vs. the Gophers and that really seemed like the only reason the Gophers had success vs. them.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is TUC status still top 25 RPI? If so, the TUC cliff is perhaps a day or two from being defined for this year.

23 Alaska .5160

24 Minnesota State .5133

25 Alaska-Anchorage .5096

26 Massachusetts .5080

27 Northern Michigan .5069

28 RIT .5058

Obviously, with the Sioux being 3-1 against each of MSUM and UAA, and 0-1 against UMass, it's helpful for the WCHA teams to hold onto those last two spots.

Duluth has a different perspective. They're 2-0 against MSUM, but 0-3-1 against UAA. They would love for UAA to get passed.

MN is 1-2-1 against MSUM, and 1-0-1 against UAA, so they wouldn't be looking at a dramatic change either way.

UAA is now 27 and doesn't look like they'll be getting back to TUC-land.

Mankato is 25, but UMass, RIT and Union lurk below them, all with games tomorrow and perhaps next week, so Mankato may fall as well.

UAA is now 27 and doesn't look like they'll be getting back to TUC-land.

Mankato is 25, but UMass, RIT and Union lurk below them, all with games tomorrow and perhaps next week, so Mankato may fall as well.

Taking the 1-2-1 record vs. MSU would help the Gophers. Maybe RIT can bump them, but the rest have to lose at some point so I don't think they will pass MSU in the end.

As of end of games (except Alaska) on Saturday night I see:

Straight Brackets:

BU vs BSU

VT vs NH

ND vs AF

Yale vs Miami

MI vs MN

UND vs Princeton

DU vs StL

NE vs Cornell

go to Top Seeds nearest home

NH Bracket

BU vs BSU

VT vs NH

MI Bracket

ND vs AF

Yale vs Miami

MN Bracket

MI vs MN

UND vs Princeton

CT Bracket

DU vs StL

NE vs Cornell

Adjust for hosts

NH Bracket

BU vs BSU

VT vs NH

MI Bracket

ND vs AF

NE vs Miami

MN Bracket

MI vs MN

UND vs Princeton

CT Bracket

DU vs StL

Yale vs Cornell

Adjust for intraconference first round

NH Bracket

BU vs BSU

UND vs NH

MI Bracket

ND vs AF

NE vs Cornell

MN Bracket

MI vs MN

VT vs Princeton

CT Bracket

DU vs StL

Yale vs Miami

i didn't read the past few days entries on this topic very extensively so i apologize if i'm repeating things that have already been said/asked.

if duluth beats minnesota on thursday, would that push duluth ahead of minnesota in the pwr? if so, that would be enough to keep minnesota out of the ncaa tourney, which would keep und's chances of a west regional alive, correct?

also, if denver loses to wisconsin, would that cause them to fall in the pwr?

i realize other games from other conferences play a part in pwr, but i know some of you are pwr experts and could shed some light on whether a du loss could move und into a number one seed come ncaa tourney time.

thanks

i didn't read the past few days entries on this topic very extensively so i apologize if i'm repeating things that have already been said/asked.

if duluth beats minnesota on thursday, would that push duluth ahead of minnesota in the pwr? if so, that would be enough to keep minnesota out of the ncaa tourney, which would keep und's chances of a west regional alive, correct?

i realize other games from other conferences play a part in pwr, but i know some of you are pwr experts and could shed some light on whether a du loss could move und into a number one seed come ncaa tourney time.

thanks

Running just the UM/UMD game, a Duluth win would knock the Gophers down to 15 in the PWR and Duluth would be at 12. Conversely, a Gopher win puts them at 11 and Duluth at 16. Now this is not taking into consideration any other games to be played that would fluctuate the ratings. Nor does it take into account the games yet to be played today.

Not going to try anything else at the moment. Too many variables to take into consideration.

Look for the "You be the committee" tool to come out tonight or tomorrow on USCHO(I think).

Lord knows I won't be the only one spending hours going over the multitude of different scenarios that could play out.

thanks

The only part I've looked at is the UMD/UM issue. UMD will pass the Gophers with a win, but would likely fall back below them if they failed to win another game at the X.

The only part I've looked at is the UMD/UM issue. UMD will pass the Gophers with a win, but would likely fall back below them if they failed to win another game at the X.

It seems that there is a good chance the game will be loser out. It may still take another win for that team to make the tourney, but losing the play-in could well be season ending.

It seems that there is a good chance the game will be loser out. It may still take another win for that team to make the tourney, but losing the play-in could well be season ending.

Yeah pretty much. There are still ways for the Gophers to get in with a loss, but it would certain dim their chances. The Gophers and UMD really needed Cornell, Ohio State, or Princeton to get swept. That didn't happen. UW and BC are major threats to win their conference tourneys so getting to #14 may not be good enough.

At this point I really don't like either the Gophers or UMD's chances. They both need two wins in my opinion. After beating the other, they need to beat UND or comeback on short rest for their 3rd game of the weekend in the third place game.

Gophers pulled it off last year, but it doesn't seem likely for lightning to strike twice in two seasons.

The MTU 6 game will likely be the RPI difference that keeps the Gophers out of the tourney.

lucky for the Dawgs it is at a neutral site ;)

I think the X sheet is an advantage for UMD. Should be a great game. I would love to see the gophers get another shot at UND. That would be a great atmosphere. Looking forward to a great weekend of hockey. Sounds like some good weather too.

Its amazing 7-9 teams from the WCHA are or were very recently in the PWR top 25 and only DU and UND are assured of making the tournament.

We REALLY want Northeastern to win today. UMass is on the verge of usurping Mankato for the last TUC spot. If that happens we lose 3 TUC wins

Let's get RIT out of the mix as well! Go HOLY CROSS!!!

actually we want RIT to win because as bad as this sounds it will knock mankato out of TUC status and with mankato not being in TUC status there is no way yale will get to 10 TUC games. if yale gets to 10 they will win the comparison with us and there will be no way we can get it back unless they would drop 2 at the ECAC finals. with mankato a TUC it would hurt us more than help us with yale.

Interesting...It is true, and even though the 3 wins costs us a TUC point vs MN, we still have that PWR.

How sad is it that those EZAC teams don't play enough games against TUCs to have it count: Princeton 8, Yale 8, Cornell 7, UND 25

yeah, we have no shot at a one seed if we lose the yale comparison.

actually we want RIT to win because as bad as this sounds it will knock mankato out of TUC status and with mankato not being in TUC status there is no way yale will get to 10 TUC games. if yale gets to 10 they will win the comparison with us and there will be no way we can get it back unless they would drop 2 at the ECAC finals. with mankato a TUC it would hurt us more than help us with yale.

IF RPI can beat Cornell tonight, they would play Yale in the semis and even with Mankato a TUC, Yale would max out at 9 TUC games.

If Northern Michigan and RIT lose, UAA could sneak back in as a TUC as well.

IF RPI can beat Cornell tonight, they would play Yale in the semis and even with Mankato a TUC, Yale would max out at 9 TUC games.

If Northern Michigan and RIT lose, UAA could sneak back in as a TUC as well.

thanks. I forgot about the Cornell game. good to know we have a couple of scenarios out there to keep yale from getting to 10.

Wouldn't be easier to just go back to the smoke filled rooms? This stuff is crazy. Some clown over the Strib web site on a fan post actually thinks UMN will get in because they deserve to be in and that they are hosting a regional and they are the pride of college hockey, you can't make this stuff up. Funny as heck. Also, the boys at beyond the pond also think that Wisconsin getting in last year was a conspiracy not based on the numbers and some how think the Goofs will make the tourney in same way. You would think at least that the media people would be more informed.

Some clown over the Strib web site on a fan post actually thinks UMN will get in because they deserve to be in and that they are hosting a regional and they are the pride of college hockey,

We really should just give up our spot so Donna and the gals can play in their own regional.

That isn't going to happen, the Cornell coach Schaffer whined about the officating, got suspended and then had

18 power plays the next night. Why is it that the officials award a whining coach with more PP's. I would be willing

to bet that RPI gets homer hard tonight.

We really should just give up our spot so Donna and the gals can play in their own regional.

Some Gopher fans think UMN is entitlement hockey. They are entitled to playing in the 7:00 game on Friday, a home regional regional every year, the Frozen Four in their back yard, a big ten hockey conference. Auto bids. On and on... A person almost has to drink the whole time they are at the final five to tolerate it.

18 PPs in a playoff game! What a joke.

How do people who claim to be informed on college hockey miss the fact that Wisconsin got in via the pairwise last year and the pairwise will be the determinant again this year...beyond me that these people get paid to do that.

Some Gopher fans think UMN is entitlement hockey. They are entitled to playing in the 7:00 game on Friday, a home regional regional every year, the Frozen Four in their back yard, a big ten hockey conference. Auto bids. On and on... A person almost has to drink the whole time they are at the final five to tolerate it.

They want a Big Ten conference so their seasons stop being ended by us ;)

How do people who claim to be informed on college hockey miss the fact that Wisconsin got in via the pairwise last year and the pairwise will be the determinant again this year...beyond me that these people get paid to do that.

and they only converted 2, they must have been watching a videos of our pp of late.

Yeah people forget that Notre Dame was the last team in the NCAA playoffs. Also if MSU-M

had beaten UNO they would have gotten in the tourney in stead of Notre Dame.