SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the gophers are on the bubble of all bubbles

I haven't looked at all the possibilities, but I think they need UMD to lose twice and literally all the top seeds to win the semi-finals everywhere. Then they probably need help Saturday as well. :glare:

They basically got what they deserved after failing to get all the points up at Tech.

I haven't looked at all the possibilities, but I think they need UMD to lose twice and literally all the top seeds to win the semi-finals everywhere. Then they probably need help Saturday as well. :glare:

They basically got what they deserved after failing to get all the points up at Tech.

You sir are the most rational Gofer fan I have never met...Kudos to you...Go Sioux!

sagard, its good hockey fans like you that keep these rivalries fun. i am actually a little sad (with a smile :D ) that i won't get to witness another great sioux/goofs matchup tomorrow night. im going with my cousin who is a big goofs fan, he texted after the game and told me he was digging through his closet for an old dogs sweatshirt :glare: . ill be sitting in the third row at center ice, hopefully watching the sioux advance to the championship game, but it would be more satisfying against our biggest rivals. i agree that you will now need alot of help to get in. it's not fun when all you can do is sit and watch and crunch the numbers (i hate math). this will be my first trip to the x, so i am hoping it will be a memorable one. GO SIOUX!!! oh, and to all the pairwise gurus out there, if we win the tourney and du loses to wisco, do we take a #1 seed, or do we need du to lose twice (which most likely will not happen, even without their top two centers)?

oh, and to all the pairwise gurus out there, if we win the tourney and du loses to wisco, do we take a #1 seed, or do we need du to lose twice (which most likely will not happen, even without their top two centers)?

To get a 1 seed over Denver if we win both games and DU loses(WI)/Wins(UMD).

It's looking like we would need 1 of the following:

A. Air Force to lose to either Bentley or RIT (But NOT Mercyhurst)

or

B. Notre Dame to lose 1 game

or

C. Michigan lose to Alaska

These are the 3 that I found that would influence the PWR into our favor in that WCHA scenario. I know there are others out there, but this is what I've found.

With all of tonight's scores in EXCEPT Princeton-Cornell and BC-BU...

Looks like a win tomorrow lands UND between #5-#7

A loss lands UND between #7-#10

If Yale wins, we're quite likely #7 with #6 or #8 also reasonably likely. Yale loses, we're either #5-#6 or #9-#10. This should become more clear when Cornell/Princeton is settled.

The other quirk is the WCHA championship game. While Denver winning could land us #5-#9 and UMD winning could land us #5-#10, it's pretty quirky if we lose tomorrow. A Denver win pretty much guarantees us a #9 slot, but a Denver loss makes #9 incredibly unlikely while making #8 or #10 quite likely. :silly:

Running a few scenarios in the YATC tool, it appears to me that Minnesota misses the tournament with either an Air Force win over Mercyhurst, or a UMass-Lowell win over Boston U. Does anybody have any scenarios that prove otherwise?

I'm pretty sure this gets the Gophers in:

# Hockey East Championship game: Boston University defeats Mass.-Lowell.

# ECAC Championship game: Yale defeats Cornell.

# ECAC Consolation game: Princeton defeats St. Lawrence.

# Atlantic Hockey Championship game: Air Force defeats Mercyhurst.

# CCHA Championship game: Notre Dame defeats Michigan.

# CCHA Consolation game: Northern Michigan defeats Alaska.

# WCHA Championship game: Denver defeats Minnesota-Duluth.

# WCHA Consolation game: North Dakota defeats Wisconsin.

AFA ends up #14 in PWR, Gophers #15.

Gophers have a lot better chance if Mercyhurst wins, but AFA is actually a very good team and will win that game. Not many outs left in the deck for the Gophs.

it seems if mercyhurst wins the gophs have a shot, if air force wins its golfing time more than likely. wow is it close. remember for all doing bracket predictions to include bemidji state in there as well as they dont show in the rankings

it seems if mercyhurst wins the gophs have a shot, if air force wins its golfing time more than likely. wow is it close. remember for all doing bracket predictions to include bemidji state in there as well as they dont show in the rankings

this "attempt to mimic" is all fine and fun, but minny will be in - believe me

I hate to think that If Michigan wins the CCHA (or placing 3 or 4 in PW), they could be stuck playing Minny in the first game, since DU could not be forced to play another WCHA team in the first round. I hope that the NCAA will call the CCHA game tonight a "Winner goes to Grand Rapids" game, no matter how the PW goes for seeds 1 thru 4.

There is also a chance that the Sioux could end up in the West as well. This would seem like a dream/scheme set up by the NCAA to get rid both Michigan and UND in one bracket at the hands of the host Gophers. :silly:

I'm not a pairwise expert, but it is the pairwise system (computer) that determines the field not the NCAA. The NCAA

commitee places the teams in the regions AFTER it has been determined by the pairwise.

Nothing is truly set in stone with the NCAA. It's thier Frozen Four not the PW Frozen Four