SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care who we play. A championship team will beat whomever comes in their way.

In a best of seven series I might agree.

In a one game elimination, especially in hockey, the best team does not always win. In fact, more often than not it probably doesn't. Therefore I would prefer playing a team where we might win 70-80% of the time versus 60%. I want the path of least resistance.

To win #8 we need to string together 4 wins. If each game we played we had a 70% chance of winning, then we would have approx a 25% chance of winning the title. If we had a 60% chance in each game then we only have a 13% chance of winning the title.

In as one game elimination it takes skill and some puck luck to win a title. It also greatly increases your chances if you get a favorable draw.

you guys did a lot of calculations, but Minny is in no matter what....NC$$ will see to that...

I don't understand these types of claims.

The selection process is an open book and is easy to understand.

Prior to the actual announcement the teams are already known based on the pairwise. There is no conspiracy, no hidden agendas. The pairwise formulas are well known, they are not modified once the season starts to try and favor any one team. Now, I don't agree with the pairwise method as there are serious flaws as I have gone into in other posts but there is nothing sneaky about it.

If the gophers make it, it will be because they were high enough in the pairwise rankings after the autobids to get selected.

The 6 conference tourny winners get autobids, the remaining 10 teams are the highest ranking teams in the pairwise.

Now, if the NCAA selection committee were to diverge from this then you might have a valid claim. But they haven't in the past and I don't believe they will this year.

In a best of seven series I might agree.

In a one game elimination, especially in hockey, the best team does not always win. In fact, more often than not it probably doesn't. Therefore I would prefer playing a team where we might win 70-80% of the time versus 60%. I want the path of least resistance.

To win #8 we need to string together 4 wins. If each game we played we had a 70% chance of winning, then we would have approx a 25% chance of winning the title. If we had a 60% chance in each game then we only have a 13% chance of winning the title.

In as one game elimination it takes skill and some puck luck to win a title. It also greatly increases your chances if you get a favorable draw.

I know where you're coming from. I'm not faulting you for thinking that way. I just feel you gotta beat the best to be the best.

We've got plenty of nuts that think the Gophers are pre-ordained to be in the tourney, your entitled to a few conspiracy folks.

No need for conspiracies, all the hosts on KFAN have already said as much, including Pat from "beYawn the Pond."

Big-rant: why has "beYawn the Pond" turned itself into a 90 minute discusion on the Wild and the NHL? The sole thing that made that show great was it's unique coverage of high school and mostly college hockey. Not just Goofer coverage but the WCHA in general. I haven't heard those guys talk about Mankato, St.Cloud, or Duluth at all this year. It's lame. They used to break down the league in general with solid takes on the weekend games. Now, it's a spash of UMN, a smattering of high school with AP, and 90 minutes of talking about the Wild and how terrible they are. Why turn it into something that everyone can easily access with more credible "takes" than the guys on that show? You'd think someone at the station would've looked at the success of that show and realized the ingredients that made it good. I guess I should be in radio because the Dubay format worked and this, we'll....Yawn....

No need for conspiracies, all the hosts on KFAN have already said as much, including Pat from "beYawn the Pond."

Big-rant: why has "beYawn the Pond" turned itself into a 90 minute discusion on the Wild and the NHL? The sole thing that made that show great was it's unique coverage of high school and mostly college hockey. Not just Goofer coverage but the WCHA in general. I haven't heard those guys talk about Mankato, St.Cloud, or Duluth at all this year. It's lame. They used to break down the league in general with solid takes on the weekend games. Now, it's a spash of UMN, a smattering of high school with AP, and 90 minutes of talking about the Wild and how terrible they are. Why turn it into something that everyone can easily access with more credible "takes" than the guys on that show? You'd think someone at the station would've looked at the success of that show and realized the ingredients that made it good. I guess I should be in radio because the Dubay format worked and this, we'll....Yawn....

Not disagreeing with you necessarily, but just curious on how you know for sure the show isn't better without WCHA/HS talk? I agree, it'd be nicer to hear them talk about games/teams that pertain more to the fan-bases outside of the TC, but...the show runs on ads. The more ads, the better the show is for the station. With more local talk, the show might be making more money. Just a thought. We can keep dreaming anyways.... :lol:

USCHO Bracketology:

Minneapolis

Miami vs. Denver

Minnesota vs. Northeastern

Grand Rapids

Minnesota-Duluth vs. Michigan

Princeton vs. North Dakota

Bridgeport

Air Force vs. Notre Dame

Vermont vs. Yale

Manchester

Bemidji State vs. Boston University

Cornell vs. New Hampshire

i was all about getting a number one seed until i read some of these posts. now i'm thinking a number two seed would be more beneficial. i definitely don't want to go through the gophers on their home ice. michigan already has it out for us, so that's a risky option as well. i'll take yale over the other options hands down. plus, i had completely forgotten that the goofs play on olympic size ice. that is a clear advantage for any team in that regional who is used to the bigger ice.

personally, though, if i had my way, i'd make every college ice olympic size. i think it suits the style of college play better than the nhl size ice.

:lol:

you guys did a lot of calculations, but Minny is in no matter what....NC$$ will see to that...

i really don't think this happens. i did run one scenario on the pairwise predictor that put the gophers at a tie for the last spot in the tournament with ohio state. in that scenario, ohio state had the higher rpi so they won the tie-breaker. since the two teams didn't play each other in the regular season, the committee would traditionally go with rpi to break the tie.

if this scenario does become reality, that would be a good test. based on the way they've handled ties in the past, the last spot would go to ohio state. if this plays out and it goes to the gophers, then it's time to holler tampering. however, it's unlikely this scenario will come to be and, if it does, my guess is the committee would do the right thing and break the tie fairly.

i was all about getting a number one seed until i read some of these posts. now i'm thinking a number two seed would be more beneficial. i definitely don't want to go through the gophers on their home ice. michigan already has it out for us, so that's a risky option as well. i'll take yale over the other options hands down. plus, i had completely forgotten that the goofs play on olympic size ice. that is a clear advantage for any team in that regional who is used to the bigger ice.

personally, though, if i had my way, i'd make every college ice olympic size. i think it suits the style of college play better than the nhl size ice.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Ever watch Michigan Tech play on a Olympic sheet?

That would make for some god awful hockey. Even the Olympics aren't playing the Olympic ice in Vancover.

Does anyone have the information for where the Frozen Four champions for the past 5 years were standing in the pairwise at this point? It would be interesting to compare.

2008 bc-7th I believe

2007mich state-9th or 10th

2006 wisc-1st or 2nd

2005 denver 1st or 2nd

2004 denver 8th

Thanks.. so what are we all so worried about? :lol:

Exactly - just keep winning, baby!!

Big sheet/small sheet; East/West; #1 seed/#2 seed - main thing is to keep playing well.

If we end up as a #5/#6 seed, I think Mich, Notre Dame or Denver will be a little nervous to see North Dakota in their bracket.

If we end up as a #5/#6 seed, I think Mich, Notre Dame or Denver will be a little nervous to see North Dakota in their bracket.

agreed.

on another note, it looks like there's not much agreement with me that olympic ice rinks would make for better college hockey. i'm kind of surprised by that. then again, maybe i shouldn't be surprised. after all, i may have an affinity for a solid passing attack, which i think the larger ice allows for, but most people probably like the speed of games on the smaller ice sheets.

i suppose it comes down to whether you prefer precision hockey or fast, hard-hitting hockey. i'm guessing the latter does sound more appealing to most sports fans. for me, there's just something about a finesse game where you can see the play development more.

agreed.

on another note, it looks like there's not much agreement with me that olympic ice rinks would make for better college hockey. i'm kind of surprised by that. then again, maybe i shouldn't be surprised. after all, i may have an affinity for a solid passing attack, which i think the larger ice allows for, but most people probably like the speed of games on the smaller ice sheets.

i suppose it comes down to whether you prefer precision hockey or fast, hard-hitting hockey. i'm guessing the latter does sound more appealing to most sports fans. for me, there's just something about a finesse game where you can see the play development more.

On an olympic sheet, you will have more time and space, so there is a tendency for the puck to stop moving as quickly as an NHL rink.

Way back when in the '70s the Soviet/Montreal game at the Forum was as good as it gets re: precision hockey. Having less time and space actually showcases the skill level of great players ("How did he have time to make that pass/play/shot?).

Bobby Orr's skill was magnified on the small ice of Boston Garden - he had players hanging all over him and was still able to make rediculous plays few have ever made.

That's my take.

...it looks like there's not much agreement with me that olympic ice rinks would make for better college hockey...

The problem with the big sheet is that only teams like the Gophers in '01-'02, '02-'03, '05-'06 are skilled enough to make it worth while. The vast majority of games on big ice spent watching players either retrieve bad passes or watching players retreat to a corner to avoid a defender longer than they deserve to. Players also develop bad habits of drifting into wide corners on rushes vs. driving the net. If anything the NHL could play on a big sheet, but for 99% of college hockey teams I prefer the small sheet. I don't hate the big sheet at Mariucci, but I do like the NHL ice games at the X, UND, DU, etc...

i wish all ncaa hockey teams would play on the same sheet. i prefer nhl ice overall but would just like to see it all the same. other sports dont use different size courts or fields ect......i think it would make the game better overall. im not opposed to olympic sheets but would like to see it all the same

The problem with the big sheet is that only teams like the Gophers in '01-'02, '02-'03, '05-'06 are skilled enough to make it worth while.

oh great. thanks a lot, sagard, now you've taken my point and turned it into gopher propaganda.

"this man does not represent us" -- george carlin on the simpsons.

i wish all ncaa hockey teams would play on the same sheet. i prefer nhl ice overall but would just like to see it all the same. other sports dont use different size courts or fields ect......i think it would make the game better overall. im not opposed to olympic sheets but would like to see it all the same

Baseball?

oh great. thanks a lot, sagard, now you've taken my point and turned it into gopher propaganda.

Without really talented teams, the big ice detracts from the game. Pure and simple.

Most Gopher teams don't have the skill to be more entertaining on the big sheet vs. NHL sheet.