SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;)

Hak better be doing nothing but special teams this week. I did think our passing was off the tape this weekend too. THe boys need to look where they're aiming.

We had a short handed goal and a few PP's this weekend. UND was 2/6 last night and 1/9 last night I think we will need to be

better than 3/15 on the power play.

We had a short handed goal and a few PP's this weekend. UND was 2/6 last night and 1/9 last night I think we will need to be

better than 3/15 on the power play.

that's a horrible % against a team that has a 79% kill rate and tech was a combined 3/11 on the weekend on the pp. awful kill % for us against an 11% pp team. we have a lot of work to do. granted two wins are two wins but playing like this from here on out will lead to ur downfall.

We really should just give up our spot so Donna and the gals can play in their own regional.

of course the gophs will be in - but the folks here (including myself) can't "grasp" that this can't occur without reason because of the "rules" that govern the selection process.

Anyway, doesn't pairwise only "mimic" said selection process? Not all of it I'm sure.

of course it will happen - but the folks here (including myself) can't "grasp" that this can occur because of the "rules" that govern the selection process.

Anyway, doesn't pairwise only "mimic" said selection process? Not all of it I'm sure.

yes, but for the last however many years the final field has been based off the pairwise. this isn't like the ncaa bb tournaments where it's all subjective after the autobids. 5 years ago cc was host and didn't make it and I think the same with NH a few years ago as well. thurs game will be an elimination game for one team. the winner still probably needs to win one more to solidify a spot as who knows what may happen with the ecac or hockey east or for that matter the wcha.

yes, but for the last however many years the final field has been based off the pairwise. this isn't like the ncaabb tournaments where it's all subjective after the autobids. 5 years ago cc was host and didn't make it and I think the same with NH a few years ago as well. thurs game will be an elimination game for one team. the iwnner still probably needs to win one more to solidify a spot as who knows what may happen with the ecac or hockey east or for that matter the wcha.

ok- more "good to know" info

(3 out of 15 for the weekend is) a horrible % against a team that has a 79% kill rate and tech was a combined 3/11 on the weekend on the pp. awful kill % for us against an 11% pp team. we have a lot of work to do. granted two wins are two wins but playing like this from here on out will lead to ur downfall.

I understand that we can always improve on the power play, but 3 out of 15 (20%) is almost exactly what we should have expected this weekend. Coming into the series, North Dakota was 18.3% with the man advantage and Tech was killing 78.5% (in other words, allowing 21.5%).

Losing LaPoint has certainly affected our penalty kill and that will be an issue going forward.

Dave

I think UND played down to the level of their opponent this weekend.

Definately played to Techs level Saturday night. Tech came out strong and play a solid third period. We got a couple lucky bounces to go our way, else we could've seen OT. It'll be interesting to see how we play at the Final 5. It'll be a good prep for the NCAA tourney.

So can one of the PWR experts answer me this, would the Gophers still be in the National tournament if let's say UMD finds away to steal the autobid by winning the Final 5? In that scenario, UND, Denver, and UMD would go. Or would the NCAA let 4 teams in from WCHA?

If they win the F5, they will have beaten strong teams to beef up their PWR to a point where they would be in regardless, probably 12-13 range.

If the pay-in winner goes 2-1 on the weekend, they probably sneak in. 1-2 I'm not sure.

So can one of the PWR experts answer me this, would the Gophers still be in the National tournament if let's say UMD finds away to steal the autobid by winning the Final 5? In that scenario, UND, Denver, and UMD would go. Or would the NCAA let 4 teams in from WCHA?

If the Gophers lose on thursday their season is over. period

as for "letting" 4 WCHA teams in, its all about the math. if 4 teams are in the top 13ish then they are in. There have been 5 teams from the WCHA in before. The only way I see that happening is maybe a UW over UM or UW over UMD final.

If the Gophers lose on thursday their season is over. period

Maybe it should be, but not guaranteed.

UMD going 1-2. UW and BC not winning their tourneys. And either Princeton or Cornell losing twice would get the Gophers VERY close. I also believe they would be out, but it would really depend on the RPI hits taken by UMD and Princeton/Cornell after their losses.

Maybe it should be, but not guaranteed.

UMD going 1-2. UW and BC not winning their tourneys. And either Princeton or Cornell losing twice would get the Gophers VERY close. I also believe they would be out, but it would really depend on the RPI hits taken by UMD and Princeton/Cornell after their losses.

thats right as they can get in with a 13-14 with losing thursday but they have to have games go there way and no big upsets as a conference tourneys as champions

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/yatc.php

You Are The Committee is active now on CHN.

Have fun.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/yatc.php

Looks like it's definitely possible for UND to move up to a #1 seed still.

Are you sure....

I keep getting UND at 5, unless Denver loses both Final 5 games, yale loses both their games and northeastern doesnt win Hockey East then UND gets #1 seed... thats a little unlikely for all that to happen :lol:

I hope they get the #1 seed but i think there is to much that wont go UND's way in the other divisions.......

UMD could lose Thursday and still be in if:

WCHA Play-in #1: Minnesota defeats Minnesota-Duluth.

WCHA Semifinal #2: Denver defeats Wisconsin.

WCHA Semifinal #1: North Dakota defeats Minnesota.

WCHA Championship game: Denver defeats North Dakota.

WCHA Consolation game: Wisconsin defeats Minnesota.

& if in all other conf. tournaments high seeds win out.

Here is how I have it playing out:

# Hockey East Semifinal #2: Northeastern defeats Mass.-Lowell.

# Hockey East Semifinal #1: Boston University defeats Boston College.

# Hockey East Championship game: Boston University defeats Northeastern.

# ECAC Semifinal #2: Princeton defeats Cornell.

# ECAC Semifinal #1: Yale defeats St. Lawrence.

# ECAC Championship game: Princeton defeats Yale.

# ECAC Consolation game: Cornell defeats St. Lawrence.

# Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #2: RIT defeats Mercyhurst.

# Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #1: Air Force defeats Bentley.

# Atlantic Hockey Championship game: Air Force defeats RIT.

# CCHA Semifinal #2: Michigan defeats Alaska.

# CCHA Semifinal #1: Notre Dame defeats Northern Michigan.

# CCHA Championship game: Michigan defeats Notre Dame.

# CCHA Consolation game: Northern Michigan defeats Alaska.

# WCHA Play-in #1: Minnesota-Duluth defeats Minnesota.

# WCHA Semifinal #2: Wisconsin defeats Denver.

# WCHA Semifinal #1: North Dakota defeats Minnesota-Duluth.

# WCHA Championship game: North Dakota defeats Wisconsin.

# WCHA Consolation game: Denver defeats Minnesota-Duluth.

With this scenario, here would be the final PWR:

Rk Team

1 [AQ] Boston U (BU)

2 Notre Dame (Nt)

3 [AQ] Michigan (Mi)

4 [AQ] North Dakota (ND)

5 Denver (DU)

6 Northeastern (NE)

7 [AQ] Princeton (Pn)

8t Vermont (Vt)

8t Yale (Ya)

10 New Hampshire (NH)

11 Cornell (Cr)

12 Miami (Mm)

13 [AQ] Air Force (AF)

14 Ohio State (OS)

15 Minnesota (Mn)

16t Wisconsin (Wi)

16t Minnesota-Duluth (MD)

18t Boston College (BC)

18t St. Lawrence (SL)

20 Colorado College (CC)

21t Northern Michigan (NM)

21t Mass.-Lowell (ML)

23 St. Cloud State (SC)

24 RIT (RT)

25 Alaska (Ak)

Denver and UND would be the only 2 WCHA teams in the tourney and probably placed at the same regional. :lol:

Just messing around to see how low UND can fall. I've gotten us to #11, but no further....yet.

If the other conf tournaments go according to chalk, for us to get #1 seed, we need Wisco to beat Den Friday. They only way we flip the comp is overcoming them in TUC and COP - it looks like we can't catch them in RPI if they only lose once in St. Paul.

Also, it looks hard to keep Minn out of the tournament.

If UMD goes 2-1 it looks like they are in (barring wierd stuff in other conf).

2 wins get Air Force in as conf champ but also put them in 13-14 in the PWR. This makes it easier for Minn to get in even if they lose Thur.

MSU can still become a TUC, which kills the Yale comp for us and prevents us from a #1. One way for MSU to become a TUC is for Alaska to win a game in the CCHA tourney.

If the other conf tournaments go according to chalk, for us to get #1 seed, we need Wisco to beat Den Friday. They only way we flip the comp is overcoming them in TUC and COP - it looks like we can't catch them in RPI if they only lose once in St. Paul.

Also, it looks hard to keep Minn out of the tournament.

If UMD goes 2-1 it looks like they are in (barring wierd stuff in other conf).

2 wins get Air Force in as conf champ but also put them in 13-14 in the PWR. This makes it easier for Minn to get in even if they lose Thur.

MSU can still become a TUC, which kills the Yale comp for us and prevents us from a #1. One way for MSU to become a TUC is for Alaska to win a game in the CCHA tourney.

Not necessarily, as if we win the final five and denver loses both we can still get a 1 seed whether or not msum is a tuc and yale loses the championship ecac game. but if yale wins it and msum becomes a tuc yale could get a 1 seed.