SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried for about 20 min this morning... I couldn't get UND into that 4 spot if DU beats Bucky.

Did I just become a Wisco fan for an afternoon? Anyone else 'figure' this out?

Correct.

In the big picture, there is not a big advantage being #4 v #5 - the only way we get placed in Mlps as a #1 seed is if Mich or Notre Dame lose twice this weekend - unlikely - and if Minn is a #4 we get moved anyway to avoid a 1st round conf matchup.

If we want to go to Mlps, we would have to be a #2 seed, which is probably more likely right now than a #1 seed.

Correct.

In the big picture, there is not a big advantage being #4 v #5 - the only way we get placed in Mlps as a #1 seed is if Mich or Notre Dame lose twice this weekend - unlikely - and if Minn is a #4 we get moved anyway to avoid a 1st round conf matchup.

If we want to go to Mlps, we would have to be a #2 seed, which is probably more likely right now than a #1 seed.

In all honesty if the goophs make it I do not want to go to minneapolis.

And if the Gophers have a good weekend at the F5, they could be a #3 seed, which would also push us elsewhere as well (if we are a #2 seed).

Agreed.

UND has beaten host teams before (see 2008, March). There are only a couple of "easy" wins in the playoffs. I anticipate UND will not be getting any of those games due to not being a 1,2 seed. Thanks for explaining the benefit of being a #2 over #1. So my cheering will depend on the Thursday outcome. This is going to be a fun, fun weekend. Even better... this is a short week of work due to Thursday being game night.

If the Gophers lose on thursday their season is over. period

as for "letting" 4 WCHA teams in, its all about the math. if 4 teams are in the top 13ish then they are in. There have been 5 teams from the WCHA in before. The only way I see that happening is maybe a UW over UM or UW over UMD final.

Did a senerio where MN. loses play-in and all favorites win the other games in all conferences. MN comes up tied for 14th pair wise and would be in the tourney. Under that senerio even if ND wins the final five they end up in 6th pair wise. Seems impossible but that what I found using "You Are The Committe'.

Here is how I have it playing out:

With this scenario, here would be the final PWR:

Denver and UND would be the only 2 WCHA teams in the tourney and probably placed at the same regional. :lol:

Just messing around to see how low UND can fall. I've gotten us to #11, but no further....yet.

That scenario puts UM in. AFA is #13 so they don't need the auto-bid. Gophers luck out at #15.

That scenario puts UM in. AFA is #13 so they don't need the auto-bid. Gophers luck out at #15.

Using the PWR Predictor - I have tried getting 5 WCHA teams in but cannot so far.

Wisco beating UND in the final and UMD beating Den in the 3rd place game gets both in, with UMTC outside at 16.

Using the PWR Predictor - I have tried getting 5 WCHA teams in but cannot so far.

Wisco beating UND in the final and UMD beating Den in the 3rd place game gets both in, with UMTC outside at 16.

That sounds like a nice result that I think is great.

i know there are too many permutations at this point to even begin to cover them all, but i did notice that as long as the following happens, und will likely get a number one seed in a regional:

northeastern does not win the hea tourney

yale does not win the ecac tourney

michigan does not win the ccha tourney

wisconsin beats denver

denver loses the 3rd place game

every combination i ran that resulted in the above five conditions being true put und at 4th in the pwr.

i ran it with und finishing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the wcha tourney and it doesn't make a difference as long as denver finishes 4th and the other three aforementioned teams don't win their respective tourneys.

if northeastern, yale, and michigan all finish 2nd in their tourneys, und can still finish 4th in the pwr. therefore, the most important game on friday as far as und's pwr potential goes, is the denver/wisconsin game. that game is actually even more important than und's game. obviously as a sioux fan i'm rooting for und to win the wcha tourney before i root for wisconsin to beat denver, but statistically speaking, these comments are true.

another game i'm personally very excited about is the duluth / gopher game. if the gophers lose that game, that keeps und's chances of a number one seed in the west regional alive. on the other hand, if the goofs win, und will not play there as a number one seed and i really don't want the possibility of und playing there as a number two seed, which i hope the committee would not allow to happen, but in the past they haven't seemed to care about round two match-ups and they certainly don't care about protecting number 2 seeds.

in my opinion, looking at all the possibilities really is a big part of what makes sports fun, but it's also really making me want these games to just start already.

college hockey post-season is definitely the best time of the year (next to steak and a blowjob day).

Here's what I would see as an ideal scenario

You have specified the following tournament results:

* Hockey East Semifinal #2: Northeastern defeats Mass.-Lowell.

* Hockey East Semifinal #1: Boston University defeats Boston College.

* Hockey East Championship game: Boston University defeats Northeastern.

* ECAC Semifinal #2: Cornell defeats Princeton.

* ECAC Semifinal #1: Yale defeats St. Lawrence.

* ECAC Championship game: Yale defeats Cornell.

* ECAC Consolation game: St. Lawrence defeats Princeton.

* Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #2: RIT defeats Mercyhurst.

* Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #1: Air Force defeats Bentley.

* Atlantic Hockey Championship game: Air Force defeats RIT.

* CCHA Semifinal #2: Michigan defeats Alaska.

* CCHA Semifinal #1: Notre Dame defeats Northern Michigan.

* CCHA Championship game: Notre Dame defeats Michigan.

* CCHA Consolation game: Alaska defeats Northern Michigan.

* WCHA Play-in #1: Minnesota defeats Minnesota-Duluth.

* WCHA Semifinal #2: Wisconsin defeats Denver.

* WCHA Semifinal #1: North Dakota defeats Minnesota.

* WCHA Championship game: North Dakota defeats Wisconsin.

* WCHA Consolation game: Minnesota defeats Denver.

Which would spit out the following pairings

Overall 1- BU 2- Notre Dame 3- Michigan 4- Yale

In Manchester 1 BU - 4 Bemidji and 2 UNH - 3 Cornell

In Bridgeport 1 Yale - 4 Air Force and 2 UND - Miami

In Minneapolis 1 Michigan - 4 St. Lawrence and 2 Northeastern - 3 Minnesota

In Grand Rapids 1 Notre Dame - 4 Minnesota-Duluth and 2 Denver - 3 Vermont

The two eastern brackets would meet in one semi and the two western ones would meet in the other. It falls pretty much to form, with only switchs of St. Lawrence/Air Force and Vermont/Cornell to avoid in-conference first round matchups.

UND has beaten host teams before (see 2008, March). There are only a couple of "easy" wins in the playoffs. I anticipate UND will not be getting any of those games due to not being a 1,2 seed. Thanks for explaining the benefit of being a #2 over #1. So my cheering will depend on the Thursday outcome. This is going to be a fun, fun weekend. Even better... this is a short week of work due to Thursday being game night.

I know they have and I'm not saying that being in another regional will equate to an easy game. but having to play a host team on their ice in the playoffs is not an easy task.

i know there are too many permutations at this point to even begin to cover them all, but i did notice that as long as the following happens, und will likely get a number one seed in a regional:

northeastern does not win the hea tourney

yale does not win the ecac tourney

michigan does not win the ccha tourney

wisconsin beats denver

denver loses the 3rd place game

every combination i ran that resulted in the above five conditions being true put und at 4th in the pwr.

i ran it with und finishing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the wcha tourney and it doesn't make a difference as long as denver finishes 4th and the other three aforementioned teams don't win their respective tourneys.

if northeastern, yale, and michigan all finish 2nd in their tourneys, und can still finish 4th in the pwr. therefore, the most important game on friday as far as und's pwr potential goes, is the denver/wisconsin game. that game is actually even more important than und's game. obviously as a sioux fan i'm rooting for und to win the wcha tourney before i root for wisconsin to beat denver, but statistically speaking, these comments are true.

another game i'm personally very excited about is the duluth / gopher game. if the gophers lose that game, that keeps und's chances of a number one seed in the west regional alive. on the other hand, if the goofs win, und will not play there as a number one seed and i really don't want the possibility of und playing there as a number two seed, which i hope the committee would not allow to happen, but in the past they haven't seemed to care about round two match-ups and they certainly don't care about protecting number 2 seeds.

in my opinion, looking at all the possibilities really is a big part of what makes sports fun, but it's also really making me want these games to just start already.

college hockey post-season is definitely the best time of the year (next to steak and a blowjob day).

i made one error. i ran this with duluth beating minnesota. if the minny wins that game, then the sioux have to beat the gophers in order to keep the number one seed chance alive.

Which would spit out the following pairings

Overall 1- BU 2- Notre Dame 3- Michigan 4- Yale

In Manchester 1 BU - 4 Bemidji and 2 UNH - 3 Cornell

In Bridgeport 1 Yale - 4 Air Force and 2 UND - Miami

In Minneapolis 1 Michigan - 4 St. Lawrence and 2 Northeastern - 3 Minnesota

In Grand Rapids 1 Notre Dame - 4 Minnesota-Duluth and 2 Denver - 3 Vermont

The two eastern brackets would meet in one semi and the two western ones would meet in the other. It falls pretty much to form, with only switchs of St. Lawrence/Air Force and Vermont/Cornell to avoid in-conference first round matchups.

I would LOVE to see us in bridgeport and have to get through Miami and Yale/Air Force. I would hate to be Notre Dame, trying to get through UMD and DU, although DU has been struggling as of late IMO. I like the fact that I don't see BC also. But it makes me so mad that UMN has a good chance of making the tourney!

I would LOVE to see us in bridgeport and have to get through Miami and Yale/Air Force. I would hate to be Notre Dame, trying to get through UMD and DU, although DU has been struggling as of late IMO. I like the fact that I don't see BC also. But it makes me so mad that UMN has a good chance of making the tourney!

Yep, I'm really hoping to see Yale at 4 and UND at 5 in the pairwise. I really don't want to see the Sioux have to go to Mariucci, where the big sheet puts a premium on special teams and it's a lot more difficult to cycle the puck. Hopefully this year will be the last time you'll ever see a tourney game on Olympic ice.

Yep, I'm really hoping to see Yale at 4 and UND at 5 in the pairwise. I really don't want to see the Sioux have to go to Mariucci, where the big sheet puts a premium on special teams and it's a lot more difficult to cycle the puck. Hopefully this year will be the last time you'll ever see a tourney game on Olympic ice.

Yale as the 4th over all seed in the NCAA tourney is one of the biggest jokes I have seen it is almost as funny as

7. Yale, 8. Princeton, 9. Cornell, 10. Vermont in the National poll.

Yale as the 4th over all seed in the NCAA tourney is one of the biggest jokes I have seen it is almost as funny as

Sound like you're getting warmed up for an "EZAC" blog :lol:

Personally I would take a game against any ECAC team over having to play BU, NE, Notre Dame, Mich, Denver, NH, BC, Vermont, MN, UMN, Wisc, or Miami. Not that it would be a sure win, cause they could definitely could lose a game. But the teams in the WCHA and HE and to a lessor extent the CCHA play a much more difficult regular season schedule which makes them tougher in the post season.

Yale is the highest ranked ECAC team. They are #7 pairwise, #14 KRACH, #8 RPI. I'm sure they have a good team. Their strength of schedule is #44 in KRACH and #44 in RPI. I would be fine with Yale a #1 seed and UND a #2 seed in the same bracket. Does that guarantee another Frozen Four ? Nope. But I would much rather play Yale in a regional championship than BU, ND, Mich, or Denver.

I would love to go to a game at engelstad east (Mariucci) we play better there then the Brown and Yellow. Just think of the looks on the faces of the goofer fans as we end there season Again. Priceless! lets look back at the goofers past seasons and how it has all been falling apart. We could again send them packing, but this time we do it on there ice. Sweet. That place will be a sea of green and white on sat night :lol:

Personally I would take a game against any ECAC team over having to play BU, NE, Notre Dame, Mich, Denver, NH, BC, Vermont, MN, UMN, Wisc, or Miami. Not that it would be a sure win, cause they could definitely could lose a game. But the teams in the WCHA and HE and to a lessor extent the CCHA play a much more difficult regular season schedule which makes them tougher in the post season.

Yale is the highest ranked ECAC team. They are #7 pairwise, #14 KRACH, #8 RPI. I'm sure they have a good team. Their strength of schedule is #44 in KRACH and #44 in RPI. I would be fine with Yale a #1 seed and UND a #2 seed in the same bracket. Does that guarantee another Frozen Four ? Nope. But I would much rather play Yale in a regional championship than BU, ND, Mich, or Denver.

Yale has a pretty weak NON conference schedule and they lost a game to UAH.

They are not impressive in my opinion. I would predict a 5-1 game against them.