SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

George Pelawa would've been 56 later this week. 

I played football with George at Bemidji High School. Big George could've played Division I football, Baseball, and Hockey. He was one hell of a guy; everyone liked him. He'd take it easy on his teammates in practice. When he'd blitz, no one from the opposition could stop him on the line or in the backfield. I remember hearing about his death while I was stationed in Germany.  It was a huge shock. The Hockey News covered his funeral. I can't imagine what he could've become as a player. 

• Upvote 3

Written by Tom Cochrane about Pelawa...some claim it's written about Lindy Ruff's younger brother who died in a bus accident.  There's some stuff out there on the interwebs about the meaning of this song.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Written by Tom Cochrane about Pelawa...some claim it's written about Lindy Ruff's younger brother who died in a bus accident.  There's some stuff out there on the interwebs about the meaning of this song.

I've heard the song was about Big George. IRC, Tim Oshie also had said that on Facebook. 

4 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I always wonder what his role would have been on that already stacked team.  Put him on the first line with Hrkac and Joyce?:D

I remember George and Len Bias being wake up calls for young folks at the time...  I believe that GP was slotted on the first line from what I was told.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Goon said:

I've heard the song was about Big George. IRC, Tim Oshie also had said that on Facebook. 

Yeah, I believe that as well.  There are some differing opinions out there, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

Pony officially retired from hockey a couple days ago. Pretty darn good career. 

The DOT line got lots of ink but his line at UND was so fun to watch. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

Pony officially retired from hockey a couple days ago. Pretty darn good career. 

Had a lot of fun watching him play here in Loveland. Local Eagles fans loved to hate him

46 minutes ago, mikejm said:

Had a lot of fun watching him play here in Loveland. Local Eagles fans loved to hate him

My daughter became a huge Pony fan after attending a hockey camp at the Ralph where he was apparently an assistant.

• 2 weeks later...