SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

I actually think this was a great move on Florida's part. They received a 4th round pick for nothing, Corban wasn't about to go there anyway, FLA is loaded up the middle for years to come. Smart move on both sides. I do agree FLA should move though.

They had a shot towards respectability last year when they played New Jersey in that great opening-round playoff series...only to regress totally this year.

Seattle's a long-shot for the Panthers but the NHL is currently having some quiet discussions with their group regarding the relocation of the Coyotes.

I actually think this was a great move on Florida's part. They received a 4th round pick for nothing, Corban wasn't about to go there anyway, FLA is loaded up the middle for years to come. Smart move on both sides. I do agree FLA should move though.

Plus, he's from Alberta so, it's a good move on his part.

I believe he was pretty open about not signing with Florida and preferring inking a deal with either Edmonton or Calgary.

So, it's still a plus, being from lberta and hopefully getting to play in Alberta...Although, I am a big fan of the state of Florida.

Edited by Goon

Plus, he's from Alberta so, it's a good move on his part.

I think it was a great move. FLA has Huberdeau/Bjugstad and some other super young high draft picks who will play center. This was Corban's best shot at getting to play NHL early. It beats sitting in the A for a year or two and praying you have that breakout game the first time you get that shot. A lot ot 4 year NCAA players struggle with the lack of time they get to prove themselves at the NHL level. When you are over 25 years teams stop looking at you and go younger (a majority of the time). Corban is a very nice/headsy player. I think he's wearing that Flames sweater out of camp.

Pardon my ignorance, but the Herald reported that Frattin signed a one way deal. Does that mean he's only contracted to play for Kings and not their minor league affiliate team?

He'll be paid the same whether he's playing for the Kings or in the AHL. Two way contracts have two different levels of pay.

• Upvote 1

Pardon my ignorance, but the Herald reported that Frattin signed a one way deal. Does that mean he's only contracted to play for Kings and not their minor league affiliate team?

It means that he will be paid the full NHL salary even if he's sent down, which means it is less likely that he gets sent down. A two way deal sets a certain salary at the NHL level and a much lower salary if he is playing in the minors.
  • Upvote 1

In a way it does. As the other posters mentioned he will be paid the same in the NHL as the AHL. Then no way are they going to send him to the AHL and pay him 10 times, or more, than what an AHLer gets. The only way now he will see the AHL is on a rehab assignment or if they want to trade him and no takers and they send him down, very unlikely scenario though. Great for him on a one way! From watching the Kings and Blackhawks he should be a stellar addition for the Kings.

Jonathan, if you want to cement your legacy as one of UND's greatest and most beloved hockey alumni, you need to bring The Cup back to Grand Forks this time. Eddie did. Commie did.

Doesn't need to do that in my book. His loyalty to UND goes beyond bringing the Hardware to Grand Forks. He has a lot of fans in Winnipeg too, and who knows, he might want to finish out his career in Winnipeg when the big paydays are over, and his goodwill in bringing the Cup to Winnipeg sure wouldn't hurt. The fact that he chose UND over Major Junior, and that Sioux fans can claim a great young Captain like that as one of their own should be enough to cement his legacy here.

• Upvote 2

Doesn't need to do that in my book. His loyalty to UND goes beyond bringing the Hardware to Grand Forks. He has a lot of fans in Winnipeg too, and who knows, he might want to finish out his career in Winnipeg when the big paydays are over, and his goodwill in bringing the Cup to Winnipeg sure wouldn't hurt. The fact that he chose UND over Major Junior, and that Sioux fans can claim a great young Captain like that as one of their own should be enough to cement his legacy here.

Eddie and Commie both won national championships while AT North Dakota...in addition to after LEAVING North Dakota. Same with Tony Hrkac...there is a difference...

Eddie and Commie both won national championships while AT North Dakota...in addition to after LEAVING North Dakota. Same with Tony Hrkac...there is a difference...

True, but bringing the Cup here doesn't change that fact either. In other words, he doesn't have to prove himself as a true Sioux to me.