SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

dagies- Lemaire is PERFECT for the "old" NHL. If the "old" NHL were still in place, I'm sure the Wild would have gone a lot farther than they have. Lemaire's coaching strategies and perspective on offense is NOT truly compatible with the "new" NHL. Slowly but surely teams are coming around. Detroit has it. Pittsburgh has it. Chicago is getting it (for how long is another argument). San Jose is getting it. Washington is getting it. The Wild even have taken steps to get towards it. The Devils are regressing. Lemaire isn't the best choice for the "new" NHL's offense-favoring system.

Mark my words, the Devils might make the playoffs this year, but they'll be a non-factor. And that's saying something when they have Zajac, Parise, and the best goaltender in NHL history (ESPN can give breezer BJs to Patrick Roy, but Brodeur is better).

Anyone know what he signed for??

I don't know, Gaborik seemed to put up elite numbers while he was healthy in Lemaire's system.

Did he? I think he was good, but he and "elite" is a lot like saying Chris Pronger is a shoe in for the Lady Byng Trophy from now until he retires.

PM Botard is supposed to be an offense guy and has he flourished?

Did he? I think he was good, but he and "elite" is a lot like saying Chris Pronger is a shoe in for the Lady Byng Trophy from now until he retires.

PM Botard is supposed to be an offense guy and has he flourished?

We all get it, you hate the Wild.

It depends on how you determine elite. Over the past 4 years Gaborik has averaged more than a point per game played. He had 83 points in 77 games during 2007-2008, his most complete year during that period. I'm not going to take the time to crank the numbers, but that probably puts him in the top 10-15 in points per game over that period. Does that qualify as elite?

As far as Pierre-Marc Bouchard, the system was not as good a fit for his skills. Also, he is more of an assist man and he hasn't always played with a lot of great finishers. His numbers may be better under a new system. That doesn't mean that Lemaire's system will hamper everyone on the Devils. I would expect Parise and the other wings will have similar numbers to what they have had the past few years. Zajac and the centers may be down slightly since they will probably have some added defensive duties.

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Goehring goes into coaching

After a long career in the AHL, Karl Goehring has retired. But he's not leaving the AHL.

Goehring will be assistant coaching the Syracuse Crunch beginning this season.

Goehring, who lives in Grand Forks and will coach a goalie camp at The Hockey Academy in Ralph Engelstad Arena this summer, played five seasons for Syracuse from 2001-05 and 2007-08.

He is the organization's all-time leader in games played (176), wins (78) and is tied for first in shutouts (11). He ranks second in career goals-against average (2.58) and save percentage (.915). Goehring's shutout streak of 197:04 also is a Crunch record.

Goehring played in one AHL all-star game and was briefly called up to the NHL for a couple of days. He was on the bench for one game with the Nashville Predators but never got into a game.

His pro career ends with eight seasons, 321 games, 139 wins, a 2.65 goals-against average and a .912 save percentage.

Perhaps Lemaire will adjust his coaching strategies to fit the players that he has to work with. I think it is fair to suggest that during his first stint with New Jersey and all of his years in Minnesota he never had the kind of goal scoring talent that he has now inherited by taking the Devils job for another go-around. I understand and appreciate that his minset is defense first, but he may open it up just a bit only because of what he has to work with... maybe. Time will tell.

PS - Totally agree with your opinion of Brodeur. He is without question the greatest netminder of all-time.

Does Jersey really have A LOT of talent offensively?? They have Parise, Zajac, Langenbrunner, and Elias, who I consider to be high end players, and I think a lot of Langenbrunner's is playing with Parise and Zajac. Now, I watch pretty much every Devils game, and what I do know is that their defense is not the same as what it was when they were winning cups. There top guy right now is probably Colin White. So, do they let defense play defense and let the offense role, or is offense expected to pick up more slack due to a weaker defense? Unfortunately for Zach and Travis, I don't see Lemaire changing too much.

Does Jersey really have A LOT of talent offensively?? They have Parise, Zajac, Langenbrunner, and Elias, who I consider to be high end players, and I think a lot of Langenbrunner's is playing with Parise and Zajac. Now, I watch pretty much every Devils game, and what I do know is that their defense is not the same as what it was when they were winning cups. There top guy right now is probably Colin White. So, do they let defense play defense and let the offense role, or is offense expected to pick up more slack due to a weaker defense? Unfortunately for Zach and Travis, I don't see Lemaire changing too much.

3 of 4 correct.

I think Langenbrunner's days of being a high end player is at an end. Actually I think he was in a decline when NJ got him. I DOUBT Dallas would have given him up or let him walk (can't remember if he was traded or left via free agency) if he was high end talent at the time.

82SiouxGuy- My opinion of the Wild may change. A lot hinges on how the new regime handles the game of hockey. I don't blanket hate them. There are players I really like on the Wild (such as Koivu and Backstrom and how Havlat). I think they have strength in goaltending depth. They do have great scouting in that department. And I agree, the biggest loser in the Lemaire hiring is Zajac. Sure, he's a good 2 way forward, but a defense-first system is death to a player like Zajac's offense.

I see Lemaire changing not at all. I think the defense will stay pretty similar to what it already is. They already run a sort of trap/lock system if memory serves me. Last year they might have opened up a little bit. But I see Lemaire trying to do exactly what he tried to do with the Wild: Set the clock back to 1995. If it not for the new rules and new NHL, Lemaire's style would be fine. The old NHL was fighting, obstruction, and prone to defensive slugfests. That's one reason why the NHL (my opinion here) really died off in popularity after Gretzky retired...and maybe even starting while Gretzky was winding down his time in LA.

NJ will not exactly suffer under Lemaire. Their PPG will. Since NJ has been having trouble scoring in past years, this problem is NOT going to go away. As for Lemaire inheriting more... I don't know. I see NJ and Minnesota very similar. They are mainly a 1-1.5 scoring line team just like the Wild. They have an abundance of grinders and they have depth issues in several areas. NJ will not be bad under Lemaire. They'll be mediocre.

The question is: Is NJ such a disaster as far as farm system is concerned compared to Minnesota (which is largely considered to have among the weakest prospect pool among those who have signed anyways).

Did any of you guys actually watch a NJD game last year? they weren't an up-and-down team by any means. they've always been defensive and with Lemaire, I don't think you'll see a big difference in the style of play from a year ago. also, i don't think Parise or Zajac will suffer at all. they are defensive responsible players already. the one thing you will see next year is an increase in points put up by Brian Rolston. I think the Devils will make the Eastern Conference Finals next year. imo

Did any of you guys actually watch a NJD game last year? they weren't an up-and-down team by any means. they've always been defensive and with Lemaire, I don't think you'll see a big difference in the style of play from a year ago. also, i don't think Parise or Zajac will suffer at all. they are defensive responsible players already. the one thing you will see next year is an increase in points put up by Brian Rolston. I think the Devils will make the Eastern Conference Finals next year. imo

No, the Devils aren't a run and gun type team. And you are right, they haven't been as long as I can recall. HOWEVER, last year they did take SOME strides towards opening up... at least until Brodeur got injured. Then they clammed up.

I don't think defensive play will change that much. They'll go back to the trap system Lemaire loves so much and the Devils, historically, have been so good at.

Both players ARE good 2 way players, true, but imo, Parise has shone brightest when he's allowed to simply go for the puck and try to score when in the offensive zone. Lemaire's system isn't like that. They have set plays and are otherwise seemingly position based offense to prevent opponent breakouts and odd man rushes. It's a very conservative offensive system that doesn't get burned that much but doesn't get much of an opportunity to run up scores that often. Hence one of the reasons why the Wild were among the lower tier of teams in terms of PPG during his tenure. After all, Ralston and Demitra had good offensive totals coming into their time at Minnesota and they then faded into mediocrity. Ralston still had some success, but overall... the totals went down.

Actually, I watch pretty much every Devils game. The only reason I get NHL Center Ice. If you have watched the Devils since Parise's arrival, you could see the change in how they play the game once Sutter came in to the mix. Was it a total offensive blitz? Not at all, but it was so much better than Parise's first 2 years. Zach has commented on the difference as well. As Redwing said, both players will be okay in the organization, but I think Zajac will fit in much easier. I look for Parise's numbers to be down compared to last year, and I do hope I'm wrong.

Actually, I watch pretty much every Devils game. The only reason I get NHL Center Ice. If you have watched the Devils since Parise's arrival, you could see the change in how they play the game once Sutter came in to the mix. Was it a total offensive blitz? Not at all, but it was so much better than Parise's first 2 years. Zach has commented on the difference as well. As Redwing said, both players will be okay in the organization, but I think Zajac will fit in much easier. I look for Parise's numbers to be down compared to last year, and I do hope I'm wrong.

You won't. Parise's numbers will decrease.

It's my hunch. Just like my hunch about Gaborik's numbers increasing... until his inevitable injury.

parise voted best american player

per brad from nhl.com

NHL says Parise is the best American

NHL.com says Zach Parise is the best American player in the game.

The league's site has been ranking the top players from each country and it released the list of Americans today. Here's what the site had to say about the former Sioux forward:

1. Zach Parise, F, New Jersey -- Parise was a big reason the Devils won the Atlantic Division in 2008-09. He ranked third in the League in goals (45), fifth in points (94), tied for first in overtime goals (3) and tied for seventh in game-winning goals (8) while setting a team record for shots in a season (364). The 2009

per brad

Martens to play in Germany

Another member of UND's large senior class has found a home to play pro hockey.

Ryan Martens has signed to play for EHC Dortmund in Germany. Martens already has gone to Germany and is participating in the team's training camp.

It appears that Martens will be playing with at least one American and former WCHAer on the team. MSU-Mankato's Jake Brenk, a Detroit Lakes native, is on the roster.

Martens is coming off of a big senior year, in which he tallied more points (22) than he did in his first three years combined (19). He played different roles throughout the season, including the point on the power play.

Martens' signing leaves three players from last year's senior class unsigned -- Matt Watkins, Zach Jones and Aaron Walski, who said last year that he wasn't sure he would attempt to play pro hockey.

UND's senior class

Ryan Duncan -- Salzburg Red Bulls (Austria)

Brad Miller -- Austin/Idaho Steelheads

Ryan Martens -- EHC Dortmund (Germany)

Andrew Kozek -- Atlanta Thrashers/Chicago Wolves

Joe Finley -- Washington Capitals/Hershey Bears

Matt Watkins

Zach Jones

Aaron Walski

parise voted best american player

The league's site has been ranking the top players from each country and it released the list of Americans today. Here's what the site had to say about the former Sioux forward:

1. Zach Parise, F, New Jersey -- Parise was a big reason the Devils won the Atlantic Division in 2008-09. He ranked third in the League in goals (45), fifth in points (94), tied for first in overtime goals (3) and tied for seventh in game-winning goals (8) while setting a team record for shots in a season (364). The 2009

You got just a little bit cut off. Here's the full text from the source:

NHL.com Parise tops list of best U.S.-born players

1. Zach Parise, F, New Jersey -- Parise was a big reason the Devils won the Atlantic Division in 2008-09. He ranked third in the League in goals (45), fifth in points (94), tied for first in overtime goals (3) and tied for seventh in game-winning goals (8) while setting a team record for shots in a season (364). The 2009 All-Star also is regarded as one of the NHL's finest defensive forwards, accruing 65 hits, 34 takeaways and a career-best plus-30 rating.

Also on the list:

#2 Tim Thomas (Vermont)

#4 Ryan Miller (Mich St)

#5 Brian Rafalski (Wisconsin)

#6 Mike Komisarek (Michigan)

#8 Phil Kessel (Minn.)

#10 Paul Stastny (DU)

Unless I miscredited or missed one, 7/10 former NCAA players.

per brad

Zach Jones signs with South Carolina

Another graduating player has found a pro hockey home this week.

Defenseman Zach Jones has signed with the defending Kelly Cup champion South Carolina Stingrays of the East Coast Hockey League.

South Carolina director of hockey operations/head coach Cail MacLean said in a statement: "Zach came highly recommended as a defensive-minded defenseman. He plays tough, keeps things simple but is very effective when it comes to taking the body and defensively, taking care of his own zone."

In 168 games with the Sioux, Jones tallied one goal, 10 assists and 237 penalty minutes. Terms of his contract were not disclosed in South Carolina's release.

That leaves only Matt Watkins and Aaron Walski as unsigned players from UND's graduating class. If the Dallas Stars do not sign Watkins in the next 10 days, he will become a free agent.

UND's 2009 graduating class

Ryan Duncan -- Salzburg Red Bulls (Austria)

Brad Miller -- Austin (AHL)/Idaho Steelheads (ECHL)

Ryan Martens -- EHC Dortmund (Germany)

Andrew Kozek -- Atlanta Thrashers (NHL)/Chicago Wolves (AHL)

Joe Finley -- Washington Capitals (NHL)/Hershey Bears (AHL)

Zach Jones -- South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL)

Matt Watkins

Aaron Walski

Off topic, and not sure where to put it (I'm aware he isn't a former player) but...

Patrick Kane Arrest

"Kane, 20, and James M. Kane, 21, were arrested about 5 a.m. on Eastwood Place, according to Buffalo police reports.

The pair allegedly punched the cab driver and grabbed money they had handed him after he told them he didn't have twenty cents in coins to give them their change, the report said.

Their fare was $13.80 and they handed the driver $15, according to a report.

The cab driver told police he was punched in the face and head, grabbed by the throat and had his glasses broken during the incident."

Kane and his cousin have been charged with second-degree robbery, fourth-degree criminal mischief and theft of services.

Off topic, and not sure where to put it (I'm aware he isn't a former player) but...

Patrick Kane Arrest

Toews should have no competition now for the Blackhawks favorite son..................... plus if Kane ends up with jail time, they might get him to sign a contract for cheap as some teams may be reluctant to sign him after his off ice problems.........this could ultimately work out nice for the hawks.

Toews should have no competition now for the Blackhawks favorite son..................... plus if Kane ends up with jail time, they might get him to sign a contract for cheap as some teams may be reluctant to sign him after his off ice problems.........this could ultimately work out nice for the hawks.

I agree with you.How could Kane be so stupid?.I thought he was way better then that.What's 20 cents to him anyway?...he's worth how many millions?.Nobody's perfect we all make mistakes,but c'mon now.REALLY!!!