SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

per brad

Pro camp scrimmage open Wednesday night

There will be a scrimmage at Brad Berry's pro camp open to the public on Wednesday night.

The event -- which is free -- begins at 7:45 p.m. in the Olympic arena. The Olympic Arena doors (northwest corner) will be open to the public at 7 p.m.

Former UND players scheduled to participate include: Mike Commodore, Matt Greene, David Hale, Jean-Philippe Lamoureux, Robbie Bina, Colby Genoway, Bryan Lundbohm, Andrew Kozek, Matt Watkins, Brad Miller, Zach Jones and more.

Fans will have a chance to bid on signed game-worn jerseys from the scrimmage via a silent auction. Each participating player will sign the jersey for the winner of the individual auction. Proceeds from the sale will benefit the Altru Pediatric Unit.

Consessions also will be available, including a $5 value pack consisting of a hot dog, 20 oz soda and a bag of chips.

per brad

Pro camp scrimmage open Wednesday night

There will be a scrimmage at Brad Berry's pro camp open to the public on Wednesday night.

The event -- which is free -- begins at 7:45 p.m. in the Olympic arena. The Olympic Arena doors (northwest corner) will be open to the public at 7 p.m.

Former UND players scheduled to participate include: Mike Commodore, Matt Greene, David Hale, Jean-Philippe Lamoureux, Robbie Bina, Colby Genoway, Bryan Lundbohm, Andrew Kozek, Matt Watkins, Brad Miller, Zach Jones and more.

Fans will have a chance to bid on signed game-worn jerseys from the scrimmage via a silent auction. Each participating player will sign the jersey for the winner of the individual auction. Proceeds from the sale will benefit the Altru Pediatric Unit.

Consessions also will be available, including a $5 value pack consisting of a hot dog, 20 oz soda and a bag of chips.

I didn't see commodore there tonight but maybe I was mistaken, I always look for the red hair and didn't see any. The other guys were there for sure and Green and Hale have improved their skating since their college days big time. It's amazing how good they can skate.

per brad

Landon Wilson signs with Texas

Former UND forward Landon Wilson has signed a two-year deal with the Texas Stars of the AHL.

Texas is the AHL affiliate of the Dallas Stars -- the team that Wilson played for last season. Wilson will stay within the organization and possibly join fellow former Sioux Brad Miller in Texas. Kyle Radke also is in that organization.

Wilson is 34 years old and entering his 15th pro season.

"Landon Wilson brings instant credibility and a veteran prescence to our locker room," Texas Stars general manager Scott White said. "He is a guy who is very capable of scoring a lot of goals and he will be a huge asset for us in developing young prospects. Landon is a big power forward who will be a leader for us on and off the ice."

Two Sioux throw out first pitches

Apparently, Zach Parise isn't the only former Sioux hockey player who knows how to play ball.

A week after Parise nearly hit a home run off of Twins manager Ron Gardenhire during batting practice, a pair of former Sioux players threw out first pitches at Major League Baseball games.

Jonathan Toews threw out the first pitch for the Chicago Cubs, while Mike Commodore threw out the first pitch for the Cincinnati Reds.

Apparently, Commodore really is a fantastic baseball player and former Sioux coach Kelvin Ziegler tried to convince him to play for the Sioux during his days in Grand Forks. Enjoy the pictures, courtesy of The Associated Press and the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Apparently, Commodore really is a fantastic baseball player and former Sioux coach Kelvin Ziegler tried to convince him to play for the Sioux during his days in Grand Forks. Enjoy the pictures, courtesy of The Associated Press and the Columbus Blue Jackets.

I thought there was some video on Commodore and his love of the game of baseball, posted on this site a year or two ago. I don't know if I remember correctly, but I thought he seriously considered playing for Ziegler too.

This is not a good sign for the future prospects of Joe's NHL career.

The comments of the article eluded to the fact that big Joe could be gooning it up.

Coach Bruce Boudreau first broached the idea with Finley in during a meeting in July. Boudreau asked Finley to prepare over the summer as if he would be making the difficult-but-not-unheard-of switch.

"It's just going through situations in my head and knowing what I'm responsible for in the defensive zone and getting accustomed to playing that way," Finley said. "It's been a long time. I can't really recall the last time. Maybe in a summer league or something. Hey, it's still summer and I'm playing forward, so I'll just continue working at it and doing whatever what is asked of me."

One has to wonder if "doing whatever is asked" also involves honing his skills as a fighter, something Finley doesn't shy away from. He got into his first fight as a pro on the second shift of his debut in Hershey.

"We told him we wanted to try him at forward and we wanted him to go back to North Dakota to practice as a forward," Boudreau said. "We want to see how much that has improved because I asked him on the last day [of development camp]. Now he's had a couple of months."

big joe hurt

finley

Finley Suffers Injury

Joe Finley, the former first-round draft pick I wrote about in today's paper, appears to have suffered some sort of a injury on the opening day of rookie camp. Not sure about the nature or severity of the injury, but he has left the ice and is not expected to return today.

I hope to have an update on Finley's status later.

Looks like this was added a little later.

A few notes from Coach Bruce Boudreau's media scrum:

*As I mentioned earlier, Joe Finley left the ice with an injury. Boudreau wouldn't get specific, but it sounds like the 6-7, 245 pound defenseman-turned-winger had something like a groin or hip flexor tighten up.

"He said he was feeling something was going to be sore. I don't know what means, either. But I said, better be safe than sorry," Boudreau said. "It's too bad because I thought he was looking good. [but] I would rather have him healthy for the rest of the season or for camp than to really say, 'I want to show something on the first day,' and pull a hip flexor or groin and not be able to compete."