SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

A 6'7" 250lb defensman that was drafted quite high is asked to switch to forward within his first few games as a pro? This doesn't sound good at all. I hope it works but he was already way to slow to play defense, I don't see how this will make things any better. If the Caps are looking for a guy that is never afraid to throw down (and actually would win some fights) they should sign Rylan Kaip. That guy had heart.

A 6'7" 250lb defensman that was drafted quite high is asked to switch to forward within his first few games as a pro? This doesn't sound good at all. I hope it works but he was already way to slow to play defense, I don't see how this will make things any better. If the Caps are looking for a guy that is never afraid to throw down (and actually would win some fights) they should sign Rylan Kaip. That guy had heart.

Kaip is unavailable as he signed with the Thrashers and the Caps switched Finley to forward during camp asking him if he would in order to speed up his development. The Caps have a log jam at defense and they wanted him to try it. Both the coach and Joe say that it seems to be working out quite well until Joe got hurt.

Kaip is unavailable as he signed with the Thrashers and the Caps switched Finley to forward during camp asking him if he would in order to speed up his development. The Caps have a log jam at defense and they wanted him to try it. Both the coach and Joe say that it seems to be working out quite well until Joe got hurt.

yeah moving him is their only choice right now im guessing or they wouldnt even try it. they are deep at D joe at forward is what they feel gives joe the best chance to crack their club at some point in the next 2-3 years. it could backfire as well like any prospect but they have to try being how high they drafted joe as a 1st rounder.

yeah moving him is their only choice right now im guessing or they wouldnt even try it. they are deep at D joe at forward is what they feel gives joe the best chance to crack their club at some point in the next 2-3 years. it could backfire as well like any prospect but they have to try being how high they drafted joe as a 1st rounder.

I wonder if the seemingly lack luster performance thus far of Sasha Pokaluk has something to do with it? He was drafted higher than Fins but hasn't been able to stick in the AHL even.

Finley didn't jump ship early for the pros like Pokaluk did and I think that's what's going to save Fins in the long run. I don't think the reports out of training camp have been negative, have they?

I don't think even the most strident Caps fan expects Finley to make his NHL debut this season. Perhaps not even next season either.

Lets hope he can skate faster forward then backwards. Dustin Byfuglien made the transition reasonably well.

per brad

Sabres re-sign Stafford

Former UND forward Drew Stafford finally has a contract with the Buffalo Sabres and the winger can get to work at training camp.

Stafford, who was a restricted free agent, signed a two-year deal reportedly worth $4 million. He'll make $1.5 million this season and $2.5 million next season.

Both sides indicated that a deal was nearing and Stafford showed up to training camp this weekend and started working out even though a deal had not been finished.

Stafford had 20 goals and 45 points last season -- his third as a pro.

For more on the Stafford signing, read the story here.

per brad

Sabres re-sign Stafford

Former UND forward Drew Stafford finally has a contract with the Buffalo Sabres and the winger can get to work at training camp.

Stafford, who was a restricted free agent, signed a two-year deal reportedly worth $4 million. He'll make $1.5 million this season and $2.5 million next season.

Both sides indicated that a deal was nearing and Stafford showed up to training camp this weekend and started working out even though a deal had not been finished.

Stafford had 20 goals and 45 points last season -- his third as a pro.

For more on the Stafford signing, read the story here.

It seems like Drew got low balled.

per brad

Force complete all-Sioux staff

The Fargo Force coaching staff has been completed today with the hire of former Sioux defenseman Mark Pivetz, who was an alternate captain on the 1997 national championship team.

The first-year head coach in Fargo is Steve Johnson and the assistant is his brother, Chad Johnson. Pivetz was an assistant under Steve Johnson in Lincoln from 2002-04. He then moved to Fargo and coach Fargo Shanley's prep program.

Pivetz replaces former Sioux defenseman Jason Herter on the staff.

The Force have a Sioux recruit on the roster in Colten St. Clair.

I think I enjoyed watching Zach Parise own Matt Gilroy twice in the Rags defensive zone during the first period of tonight's game a little too much. :D

Well anyway . . . if preseason is any indicator Parise should see an increase in ice time this season because Lemaire has him paired with Zajac on the PK, something no other Devils coach has allowed him to do; Sutter only put him out at the tail end of penalties and in 4X4 situations.

Also, I'm pretty sure someone mentioned JPar signing with or being invited to Pens camp . . . and does that not make sense to anyone else besides me? The Pens have so many young goalies, hell they have so many young former NCAA goalies, that it doesn't seem like there's room for him.

Also, I'm pretty sure someone mentioned JPar signing with or being invited to Pens camp . . . and does that not make sense to anyone else besides me? The Pens have so many young goalies, hell they have so many young former NCAA goalies, that it doesn't seem like there's room for him.

I don't have an answer for you other than I was curious how many goalies they had, so I looked it up.

Listed on the Pen's roster right now are four goalies,

-John Curry who is 25 and was up and down between the Pens and the AHL last season and signed a 2 yr contract with the Pens in August of 2009.

-Marc-Andre Fleury, who is 24 (he will turn 25 in Nov.) and was the Pens #1 goalie for most of last year...i believe

-Brent Johnson who is the oldest of them at 32 and signed with the Pens in July after spending last season with the Washington Capitals.

-Brad Thiessen, who is 23 and played for Northeastern Univ. last season...I did not see any news on him being signed, so I can only assume that he is there on tryout or did sign with them and it wasn't posted.

Listed as in their system are three goalies,

-Patrick Ehelechner, who is 24 and scheduled to play this seasonfor the Nuermberg Thomas Sabo Ice Tigers of the DEL according to the Hockey Database online.

-Patrick Killeen, who is 19 and played in 08-09 for Brampton of the OHL

-Alexander Pechurski, who is 19 and is scheduled for 09-10 to play for the Magnitogorski Metallurg of the KHL.

The only thing that I can think of is that the three in their system are not yet ready and they are looking for more depth..Can anyone else figure it out? Oh, and applause to whoever can tell me how you pronounce Magnitogorski Metallurg!

I don't have an answer for you other than I was curious how many goalies they had, so I looked it up.

The only thing that I can think of is that the three in their system are not yet ready and they are looking for more depth..Can anyone else figure it out? Oh, and applause to whoever can tell me how you pronounce Magnitogorski Metallurg!

I think they also have Adam Berkhoel because he played the final playoff games when Curry got injured, and they had Dave Brown (Notre Dame) and Curtis Darling in Wheeling last year. I don't know if they've all been resigned or are still under contract.

I know Curry and Thiessen are both signed to 2-way deals. Figure you have 6 or 7 open spots in the org so really what kind of shot does he have? Backing up or splitting time in the ECHL?

On a positive note Parise had an absolutely filthy shootout goal tonight on former UA(F?) goalie Chad Johnson. Seriously it was vertigo inducing.

Zajac had the game winner in the SO and his post game interview went something like this:

SF: You had the game winner, what was your approach to the shootout?

TZ: I was thinking shot all the way.

SF: Well, you saw what Zach did, all those moves, why were you thinking shot?

TZ: Because I can't do that.

I think they also have Adam Berkhoel because he played the final playoff games when Curry got injured, and they had Dave Brown (Notre Dame) and Curtis Darling in Wheeling last year. I don't know if they've all been resigned or are still under contract.

I know Curry and Thiessen are both signed to 2-way deals. Figure you have 6 or 7 open spots in the org so really what kind of shot does he have? Backing up or splitting time in the ECHL?

On a positive note Parise had an absolutely filthy shootout goal tonight on former UA(F?) goalie Chad Johnson. Seriously it was vertigo inducing.

Zajac had the game winner in the SO and his post game interview went something like this:

SF: You had the game winner, what was your approach to the shootout?

TZ: I was thinking shot all the way.

SF: Well, you saw what Zach did, all those moves, why were you thinking shot?

TZ: Because I can't do that.

hmm, I don't know then. He must be battling for that 7th spot? or maybe they want 8 goalies...the only person who really knows is probably the Pens Management.

per brad

Camp update

I'll probably have some frequent updates from pro camps during the next couple of days and weeks. I'll try to post roster moves immediately on Twitter and rehash them on the blog. Here are the few notes of interest:

i cant get the page link using azsioux.com so here is the former player list using my original url and that page. please correct me if there are any changes to be made as of now. im waiting for all pre season to end to assign players to the exact league they will be at if they are on the ledge. thanks

http://ryan85268.tripod.com/id21.html

i cant get the page link using azsioux.com so here is the former player list using my original url and that page. please correct me if there are any changes to be made as of now. im waiting for all pre season to end to assign players to the exact league they will be at if they are on the ledge. thanks

http://ryan85268.tripod.com/id21.html

Looks good to me...the only thing I noticed is that you have Karl Goehring as an assistant coach for the Moose...he is now an assistant coach for the Syracuse Crunch according to Brad who posted on his blog on Friday, July 24th that he was a coach for the Crunch.

Looks good to me...the only thing I noticed is that you have Karl Goehring as an assistant coach for the Moose...he is now an assistant coach for the Syracuse Crunch according to Brad who posted on his blog on Friday, July 24th that he was a coach for the Crunch.

will change, thanks. must have just forgot to change the team.