SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Blackhawks oust GM Tallon, promote Bowman

Link here

I thought Tallon was doing a great job. He made a head-scratcher or two, but in the long-run, he was still a big reason they made the Western Conference finals. I was a fan of his (who isn't when there is success?) so it's a little disappointing he's gone. I wonder if there was something the public knows that happened behind the scenes that ultimately did him in...?

Blackhawks oust GM Tallon, promote Bowman

Link here

I thought Tallon was doing a great job. He made a head-scratcher or two, but in the long-run, he was still a big reason they made the Western Conference finals. I was a fan of his (who isn't when there is success?) so it's a little disappointing he's gone. I wonder if there was something the public knows that happened behind the scenes that ultimately did him in...?

Yeah, this surprised me as well. Why keep him on as the GM through the draft, let him build the team for next year and then can him? If you're going to do it, why not do it as their season ended? I wonder if it didn't have to do with the issue about their free agents and missing the deadline to fax them their qualifying offers, which the NHLPA has since filed a greivance against the team?

Because his actions nearly cost them 6 promising young players and his signings put resigning Toews and Kane in jeopardy.

Not to mention Tallon essentially saying Huet was a top rate #1 goaltender...

According to Russo's blog this was more political than performance. Russo says the mistakes were not Tallon's fault but he's taking the fall.

According to Russo's blog this was more political than performance. Russo says the mistakes were not Tallon's fault but he's taking the fall.

I'm not really surprised. That said, I'm surprised the 'Hawks would effectively demote Tallon. I doubt he'lll stay in Chicago beyond another season or so.

USCHO posters said that it was Bowman who screwed up and Tallon took the fall. It's also been stated there that Tallon wasn't behind the Hossa and Huet signings.

Oh well. Tallon will get another job in the NHL.

Chicago will be in a world of hurt after this next season. Maybe Kane will be a Red Wing! Doubtful, but still.... I can hope. ???

I swung by the Cap's Development Camp today as I am in DC for some training before I go to Iraq. Joe Finley played left wing all game. He got a couple of licks in and said he almost potted one. I must have been wandering around for that one. Other folks were commenting after about what a nice kid he is. He took time after the game for the fans and interviews. Joe is definitely a great representative of our university.

I swung by the Cap's Development Camp today as I am in DC for some training before I go to Iraq. Joe Finley played left wing all game. He got a couple of licks in and said he almost potted one. I must have been wandering around for that one. Other folks were commenting after about what a nice kid he is. He took time after the game for the fans and interviews. Joe is definitely a great representative of our university.

What's the deal with Finley playing wing?

That's not his game at all. I can't imagine Finley ever making the NHL as a wing.

His job is a defensive defenseman. I guess it's nice to have that kind of flexibility, but seriously.... wow. Could you imagine what it would have been like if Hakstol put Fins on the left wing?

UND pucks thank you for your service and good luck. I am going to miss Joe Finley because he is such a good interview to listen to. Sounds like a very bright kid. Wow, big Joe on wing could be fun to watch. check out on Frozen Blog, it is one of the better .

- It was a brief experiment but it really intrigued me: Joe Finley at forward. He has good north-south speed for his size, and was willing/eager to go in deep on the forecheck. He also was immobile in one instance in front of the crease, taking a rebound and feeding it across the crease to set up a teammate for a scoring chance as a defender struggled in vain to move the big Minnesotan. It's just one and a half scrimmages in Rookie Camp, but it wouldn't bother me at all if Finley was tried on the wing a bit in Hershey. He's a good interview, as well, and gives at least as good as he gets with a microphone in front of him.

No problem. I know if I was a defenseman, I would hate to see Joe Finley coming in on the forecheck. He was not shy about dishing out the hits. Still working on my photos.

He would be like a Boogard on wing without the fighting skills. No way in heck he makes the NHL as a forward.

David Hale was traded yesterday to Tampa Bay.

With this influx of players, I'm not so sure Smaby has a shot at the NHL next season.... but I could be very wrong. I don't have the numbers on how much D TB has.

smaby played lots last year when he was up. i bet he has a great shot at a top 6 spot there. we will see i guess

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

They aren't NHL signings, but I missed two of them.

Former Sioux Brad Miller has signed a two-way AHL-ECHL contract to play with Dallas' new AHL affiliate in Austin. The ECHL affiliate of the Stars is the Idaho Steelheads.

I have not heard if Austin wants Miller as a forward or a defenseman, but he could be an interesting prospect on the blue line with the way he played last season.

Miller finished his UND career with 21 goals and 48 assists for 69 points in 128 games.

Also, Andy Schneider will be headed back overseas to play in the German Elite League. Schneider signed a deal with the Iserlohn Roosters. Read about Schneider's signing here (and it's even in English).

They might not sleep themselves, but their offensive totals will sleep for sure. Certainly a dumb move by Lou (signing Lemaire)

Yeah, Lemaire has only won 1 Stanley Cup with the Devils in the past. Why would they think he can coach?

Yeah, Lemaire has only won 1 Stanley Cup with the Devils in the past. Why would they think he can coach?

dagies- Lemaire is PERFECT for the "old" NHL. If the "old" NHL were still in place, I'm sure the Wild would have gone a lot farther than they have. Lemaire's coaching strategies and perspective on offense is NOT truly compatible with the "new" NHL. Slowly but surely teams are coming around. Detroit has it. Pittsburgh has it. Chicago is getting it (for how long is another argument). San Jose is getting it. Washington is getting it. The Wild even have taken steps to get towards it. The Devils are regressing. Lemaire isn't the best choice for the "new" NHL's offense-favoring system.

Mark my words, the Devils might make the playoffs this year, but they'll be a non-factor. And that's saying something when they have Zajac, Parise, and the best goaltender in NHL history (ESPN can give breezer BJs to Patrick Roy, but Brodeur is better).