SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

VANCOUVER -- Brock Boeser scored four goals for the first time in his NHL career, and the Vancouver Canucks opened the season with a 8-1 win against the Edmonton Oilers at Rogers Arena on Wednesday.

His four goals tied a record for the most by a Canucks player in a season opener (Greg Adams on Oct. 8, 1987; Rick Blight on Oct. 6, 1976). Boeser didn’t score in the first 11 games last season and finished with 18 goals, the second-fewest of his NHL career.

“I’d say it’s pretty high,” Boeser said of his confidence. “I got to that mindset in the summer where I’ve got to be a better hockey player and really work hard. I came back and it continues every day. I’ve got to have that same mindset tomorrow, the next practice, the morning skate, I’ve got to keep it going.”

https://www.nhl.com/news/

• Upvote 2

Just now, Blackheart said:

What’s going on in Ottawa?  Why can’t they figure out how to get this done?

He wants $2.5 million Ottawa is offering $1 million. 

Joseph making $2.95 million, I guess they are trying to trade him.

Kubalik making $2.5 million 

Zub making $4.5 million 

Murray's $1.5 million retained and $3.5 million in buyouts (rounded the buyouts up) are hurting Ottawa.

Tarasenko looks to be an over payment at $5 million.

Cap space is $62,952

3 minutes ago, cberkas said:

He wants $2.5 million Ottawa is offering $1 million. 

Joseph making $2.95 million, I guess they are trying to trade him.

Kubalik making $2.5 million 

Zub making $4.5 million 

Murray's $1.5 million retained and $3.5 million in buyouts (rounded the buyouts up) are hurting Ottawa.

Tarasenko looks to be an over payment at $5 million.

Cap space is $62,952

Wow, they aren't even close to what he wants...

1 minute ago, Blackheart said:

Wow, they aren't even close to what he wants...

Looks like Norris' contract isn't part of LTIR either. 

I left out the forward contracts under $1 million.

Zub looks like an over payment for the defense. 

Two of the buyouts are in the AHL right now. 

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Looks like Norris' contract isn't part of LTIR either. 

I left out the forward contracts under $1 million.

Zub looks like an over payment for the defense. 

Two of the buyouts are in the AHL right now. 

image.jpeg.d32919a2a8a8bd4b74a6a182d96e7d01.jpeg

Welcome to Ottawa...

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

The mess that is Ottawa, now they are looking to trade Brannstrom ($2 million hit) to sign Pinto. 

The way Ottawa is handling Pinto doesn’t seem like a good way to build goodwill amongst its players. But what do I know. 

12 hours ago, Kevin G said:

The way Ottawa is handling Pinto doesn’t seem like a good way to build goodwill amongst its players. But what do I know. 

How are they handling him that's so bad?

The Sens are not doing Pinto wrong by any means, they just have no money to sign him to a long term deal at the moment. They need to unload salary before they can sign him, that just takes time.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/yes-jake-sanderson-is-fast-now-the-nhl-is-sharing-exactly-how-fast

The NHL has made public its tracking data, featuring things like skating speed and shooting speed on a website called NHL Edge.

No surprise: Sanderson, now with the Ottawa Senators, ranks among the fastest skaters in the NHL.

During the first few games of this season, Sanderson has been clocked at 23 mph — the second-fastest recorded burst of any defenseman in the NHL. His 23 mph burst came Oct. 11 against the Carolina Hurricanes at 1:11 of the third period.

By comparison, the fastest burst recorded by league MVP Connor McDavid is 22.72.

Fastest bursts from former UND players in 2023-24

23 mph — Jake Sanderson, D, Ottawa Senators
21.82 — Cole Smith, F, Nashville Predators
21.62 — Brock Nelson, F, New York Islanders
21.41 — Nick Schmaltz, F, Arizona Coyotes
21.38 — T.J. Oshie, F, Washington Capitals
20.66 — Troy Stecher, D, Arizona Coyotes
20.43 — Brock Boeser, F, Vancouver Canucks
19.45 — Tyson Jost, F, Buffalo Sabres
19.38 — Jacob Bernard-Docker, D, Ottawa Senators
18.53 — Derek Forbort, D, Boston Bruins

• Upvote 1

From Sportsnet insider Elliotte Friedman:

The NHL will suspend unsigned Ottawa Senators centre Shane Pinto 41 games on Wednesday for violating league gambling rules, multiple sources told Sportsnet.

Critically, the league did not accuse of Pinto of wagering on NHL games, as a memo sent in March 2022 reminded all league and club personnel — including players — that wagering on any NHL game, even where legal, is “absolutely prohibited,” and will “constitute conduct that is dishonourable, prejudicial to, or against the welfare of the League or the game of hockey” under the NHL’s constitution.

The memo added that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is authorized to “discipline individuals determined to have engaged in improper gambling activities in any or all of the following respects:” expulsion or suspension a definite or indefinite period; cancelling any contract that such individual may have; and/or by imposing a fine. “The League will act swiftly and aggressively in penalizing any League or Club personnel determined to have engaged in acts in violation of the NHL Gambling Policy,” the policy states.

And to make it worse. the suspension doesn't start until he is under contract and it he isn't under contract by 12/1 he can't play this season.

Ottawa does not have room to sign him unless they trade a couple guys to creat cap space but probably are not going to do that for a guy who won't be able to play for 40 games.