SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

To each his own, but I'd rather play the Texas Techs and potentially more Big 12/PAC 10 teams than I would the Big 10 teams...Sure its an easy drive for B-10, but the talent that comes from B-12/P-10 region of the country is much better than what we could potentially get from the second helpings from every BCS school in the upper mid-west (Pure Population numbers would show that for Texas and California alone). In addition, whats wrong with our team in Grand Forks taking a different tack - why do we have to follow the Bison in anything; take back the leadership role we've had for the last 120 years and act like the main institution. You don't do this by following them to their respective leagues....Also, why doesn't the Red Raiders have a problem with our logo and nickname? Why the are the B-10 schools make this such a 'big' problem than our friends in the south and west? Sounds a little snobbish to me if you ask....

BobIwabuchiFan

And lastly, there is no possible configuration of the Big Sky where any Dakota school gets voted in. Aint happening.

The concept is only perpetuated by those who hate NDSU and want to see UND in a separate conference.

I don't want to pile on (because -- call me crazy -- but I actually enjoy your input), but where do you get the notion that only "NDSU haters"

prefer that UND get into the Big Sky?

The Sky would offer a single home __ and a familiar set of rivals -- for nearly all of UND sports. The league has enjoyed a much higher profile in the area than the Summit. (That may have changed some recently thanks to the wall-to-wall coverage of the Bison-oriented, Fargo-based media.) The MVFC is not a bad gig, but there's no guarantee of entry there if one joins the Summit. That leaves football with the Great West, an unstable position to say the least. Of course, annual games with the Montana schools would be a big draw.

UND may never get into the Big Sky -- and the departure of the Montana schools would make it less appealling -- but there's every reason to believe the FCS/I AA world will change dramatically as the end of the moratorium draws near.

If you want animosity, slouch on over to Bisonville and see the endless stream of fanatics who hope to avoid UND at any cost. Or check with your administration, which is stalling competition in every sport.

Playing in Texas and California makes sense, that's where the players are and they can't all go to Texas and USC. Focusing west makes a lot of sense, especially as teams continue to drop like flies in those areas. That's one concern about the Great West. I think both UC-Davis and Cal Poly will likely move to FBS to rationalize the expense of football in California's economic climate. Sac. St. just seems like a program that will eventually be dropped. That will essentially eliminate small college football in the state.

Several Big Sky schools also have football programs that may be in precarious positions positions. You could see a potential domino effect of

UC-Davis and Cal Poly to the WAC

Sac. St., Portland State and Northern Arizona to the Big West (dropping football for financial reasons)

Denver, Southern Utah, UND, USD to Big Sky

Big Sky would then have the enviable 10-9 format allowing for four home and away games in football each year.

Travel partners would be

Weber - SUU

UND-USD

UNC-Denver

EWU-Idaho St

Montana-Montana St.

There's certainly not a high likelihood of all that going down, but for the most part it is pretty reasonable. And for now looking west makes sense because we are playing in a western league. Also just as important, we are marketing the school and there are a ton of students to be hooked out west, and with North Dakota's stagnant to declining youth population that is another concern.

The Big Sky really has become a mess and it's problems are compounded by the WAC's likely need for future teams. But where there's instability, there's also potential. Agree that a more northern and mountain Big Sky could allow UND membership. USD has always had it's sights set on the Summit, and a surprise announcement this week during the Summit tournament wouldn't be all that unexpected.

I don't want to pile on (because -- call me crazy -- but I actually enjoy your input), but where do you get the notion that only "NDSU haters"

prefer that UND get into the Big Sky?

The Sky would offer a single home __ and a familiar set of rivals -- for nearly all of UND sports. The league has enjoyed a much higher profile in the area than the Summit. (That may have changed some recently thanks to the wall-to-wall coverage of the Bison-oriented, Fargo-based media.) The MVFC is not a bad gig, but there's no guarantee of entry there if one joins the Summit. That leaves football with the Great West, an unstable position to say the least. Of course, annual games with the Montana schools would be a big draw.

UND may never get into the Big Sky -- and the departure of the Montana schools would make it less appealling -- but there's every reason to believe the FCS/I AA world will change dramatically as the end of the moratorium draws near.

If you want animosity, slouch on over to Bisonville and see the endless stream of fanatics who hope to avoid UND at any cost. Or check with your administration, which is stalling competition in every sport.

The ONLY reason for any Dakota school to join the big sky is for the Montana/Mont. State games. If they leave, you're stuck in a conference with a bunch of 2nd tier schools a LONG way from ND.

You really care about playing Idaho State? Weber State? Portland State?

The ONLY reason for any Dakota school to join the big sky is for the Montana/Mont. State games. If they leave, you're stuck in a conference with a bunch of 2nd tier schools a LONG way from ND.

You really care about playing Idaho State? Weber State? Portland State?

If it has an autobid and includes football, I don't care if it is in New England.

We went head to head with only a few recruits with UND but we heard that UND was telling them that our coaching staff was in disarray and that UND had the largest engineering school in ND. Heard the engineering one from the recruits HS coach. Both recruits committed to NDSU after learning the truth. Negitive recruiting usually fails.

Honestly Bison Dan, how is this any different than when NDSU tells recruits their business program is better than UND's despite the fact that most of their major programs lack necessary accreditations to give the degrees any value outside of ND. How's that honest recruiting? If Craig Bohl is such an honest guy maybe he should tell them how he can't even remember his ex-players first names after they've played for him for 5 years as an ex-player just recently posted on Bisonville. As long as characters like Bohl, Chapman, and Taylor are associated with your university the word truth should never even be said in the same sentence as NDSU.

Honestly Bison Dan, how is this any different than when NDSU tells recruits their business program is better than UND's despite the fact that most of their major programs lack necessary accreditations to give the degrees any value outside of ND. How's that honest recruiting? If Craig Bohl is such an honest guy maybe he should tell them how he can't even remember his ex-players first names after they've played for him for 5 years as an ex-player just recently posted on Bisonville. As long as characters like Bohl, Chapman, and Taylor are associated with your university the word truth should never even be said in the same sentence as NDSU.

Really - Please tell me which recruit that was said to? Since you go over to Bisonville you know which recruits I'm talking about.

The quarterback that signed with NDSU commented on how he liked the NDSU coaches honesty with him. They told him he wasn't their first choice and kept him informed where he stood during the whole recruiting process. Sounds like honesty to me.

Apparently it is UND's coaches policy to offer recruits and tell them how they want them to come to UND until they actually accept the offer and the coaches realize maybe they don't want them or they are over extended and have no scholies left. Perhaps an honest coaching staff would call a recruit and let them know the offer has been pulled BEFORE they accept it.

By the way, how many incoming recruits are expecting that trip to Hawaii? I heard that was a pretty major selling point for the Sioux coaches. Has the contract been signed yet?

Mercy. What a nightmare scenario. It could look something like ...

newheader2.jpg

Yeah because you'd totally be playing teams like Idaho State, Weber State and Portland State! Who hoo! Who doesn't associate Portland Oregon and Grand Forks ND? Much better than playing teams in North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas City, etc.

The quarterback that signed with NDSU commented on how he liked the NDSU coaches honesty with him. They told him he wasn't their first choice and kept him informed where he stood during the whole recruiting process. Sounds like honesty to me.

Apparently it is UND's coaches policy to offer recruits and tell them how they want them to come to UND until they actually accept the offer and the coaches realize maybe they don't want them or they are over extended and have no scholies left. Perhaps an honest coaching staff would call a recruit and let them know the offer has been pulled BEFORE they accept it.

By the way, how many incoming recruits are expecting that trip to Hawaii? I heard that was a pretty major selling point for the Sioux coaches. Has the contract been signed yet?

You guys still can't get over our recruiting class yet huh? I don't know of the UND staff over extending themselves recruiting. I do know they have a couple scholorships left. We had a good class overall that we are happy with. We did have an unfortunate instance with the recruit from Wisconsin but I know I only heard one side of the story, same as you. You spin it however you want but from what we know, it wasn't exactly handled correctly and mistakes where made. I'm not going to let it ruin what was a great recruting class that fills a lot of holes we had and added great depth. And no, I don't know about Hawaii. What do you know? I haven't seen a signed contract but its not my job to make the UND schedule either. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the coaches know more about the game than you and I or anyone else on this board. Since the game isn't going to be scheduled for next year anyways, I'm not concerned. Thanks for your concern though. Must be nice to come over here from your perfect program and throw stones. Wait, I forgot about that drug arrest last week. Sh*t unfortunately happens man. You learn from it, put it behind you and move on. I'm sure the UND coaches will learn from this.

Can't remember the name of the site, but I found this list of schools with open dates for Sept. 12th. Any possibilities here ?

Fitchburg State - YUCK

Gallaudet - YUCK

SUNY-Maritime - YUCK

UW-Eau Claire - ICK

UW-Oshkosh - ISH

UW-Stevens Point - GROSS

Wesley - PUKE

Whittier - BARF

Widener - YUCK

Sorry for the snobby negativity, but I really hope not. :lol:

Can't remember the name of the site, but I found this list of schools with open dates for Sept. 12th. Any possibilities here ?

Fitchburg State

Gallaudet

SUNY-Maritime

UW-Eau Claire

UW-Oshkosh

UW-Stevens Point

Wesley

Whittier

Widener

Make sure you post this on Bisonville also since NDSU still needs a Sept 12th game. It must be a tough date to fill because Gene has had 1 home game to fill on his own for the entire 2009 schedule and hasn

Make sure you post this on Bisonville also since NDSU still needs a Sept 12th game. It must be a tough date to fill because Gene has had 1 home game to fill on his own for the entire 2009 schedule and hasn't been able to do it. 1 game, that's it. For the entire year.

Longer it takes the more likely it's going to be a D2 team or a road game.

Per areavoices Gene is keeping the Sept 12th game in case he gets the game he really wants and then can shuffle the scheudle.

So there must be a team on a different date that he is trying to get to Fargo.