SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

Just now, gundy1124 said:

This is where I am at, playoffs most years, like 4 of 5 years going forward or bust.  After the top 2-3 teams in the Nation we should be able to compete and be in the top 24.

Look at the last two teams to travel into the Fargodome..................................complete trash!

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Look at the last two teams to travel into the Fargodome..................................complete trash!

After SU finishes off most of the tough teams in the MV, regular season, they wipe their brow knowing they have 3 pretty easy playoff games before Frisco.  

I heard the Fargo Dome and tailgating was down, their fans are getting sick of the blow-outs.  I had 6 different invites but knew there was no chance they lose to an average team from a crappy conference. 

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

After SU finishes off most of the tough teams in the MV, regular season, they wipe their brow knowing they have 3 pretty easy playoff games before Frisco.  

I heard the Fargo Dome and tailgating was down, their fans are getting sick of the blow-outs.  I had 6 different invites but knew there was no chance they lose to an average team from a crappy conference. 

2016 was an obvious exception.

41 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

2016 was an obvious exception.

More so this year, 3 easy playoff games, than in previous years for SU.  After the Dukes, Jacks, Bison.......we should be able to compete.  To get to the top tier.....well, we better stick to day by day and be a perennial top 24, 1st.

8 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

More so this year, 3 easy playoff games, than in previous years for SU.  After the Dukes, Jacks, Bison.......we should be able to compete.  To get to the top tier.....well, we better stick to day by day and be a perennial top 24, 1st.

That is fine. I just don't want to get into the thinking that finishing 6-5 most years is good enough and all we can expect. That is why Gopher FB has been mediocre to average for 50 years and can't raise enough money to upgrade their facilities.

8 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

The problem is, we can't even make the playoffs anymore to get a shot at that trash.  Our goal next year needs to be a playoff win.   If we can't do that than we aren't much of a football school.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

after seeing some of these highly ranked "playoff caliber" teams in the last two weeks ....i would say with any luck we will right back in the top 25 next year (top 15 if rudy and kostitch skip town.)

It really is a low bar to get to. Lot of bad football out there. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd prefer perennial top 16 or top 8 ... or 4. 

Yep we need to be perennial top 8-10 at a minimum.  After the top 3 we need to be in that second top pack at least with potential to make a deep playoff run each year. Obvious goal is to get into that top pack and win it all.  Need to pull an upset of Sam Houston next year.  DB's get ready!

9 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Yep we need to be perennial top 8-10 at a minimum.  After the top 3 we need to be in that second top pack at least with potential to make a deep playoff run each year. Obvious goal is to get into that top pack and win it all.  Need to pull an upset of Sam Houston next year.  DB's get ready!

Again, on that note, does anyone out here know how Deion's recovery is going?

• 2 weeks later...

Looking back at 2017, I'm going to oversimplify it, but I truly believe the majority of the problems were directly linked to injuries in key positions where there was no depth. Nobody could have pictured after 2 games this team would have ended up where they did. Defensively, the team had no answers for every team who attacked the ILB position or threw at will at freshman Blubaugh. Keep every other injury that happened, but give that team a healthy Rodgers and Holm and the year is different. Not saying they'd make a deep run into the playoffs like everyone expected, but just with those two, the defense is considerably better, no doubt. Injuries happen, but I'm betting they don't take a toll like they did this past year again for a very long time.

Positives going into 2018, the weaknesses of the defense, start with ILB (Rodgers, Larson, Hunt), take any two of those and you have a solid starting ILB. CB (Harris, Holm, Blubaugh), take any two of those and you have solid CB's. This isn't including any additions or other players on the team that will improve. 

Offensively, look at the O-Line, this team will have depth at QB, WR and RB. 

What does everyone think of the schedule? 

I know many hate it, but I like starting off against MVSU, good tune up game with an FCS opponent. Pretty ideal start to the "Big Sky" season with Idaho State at home, UNC on the road and then a bye heading into a home game against Montana, who's much better at home than away. Sac State is improved, but you'll take them as one of the away games on the schedule. Weber State is tough, but a home game. Finish with two tough road trips at Montana State and Northern Arizona, sandwiched between home game against Portland. I think the schedule lines up pretty nicely. 

Positives:

• MSVU at home start off season
  • Getting Montana / Weber State at home (tough games)
  • UNC / Sac State as "Big Sky" Road Games

Negatives

• Sam Houston on the road - tough game with 1-1 record going into "conference" play
  • Road trips to Montana State / Northern Arizona (latter being much better at home than on the road)
Thu, 
Aug 30
Mississippi Valley (Home Opener) Alerus Center TBA    
Sat, 
Sep 08
Washington at Seattle, Wash. TBA    
Sat, 
Sep 15
Sam Houston State at Huntsville, Texas TBA    
Sat, 
Sep 22
Idaho State (53rd annual Potato Bowl | 102nd Annual Homecoming) Alerus Center TBA    
Sat, 
Sep 29
Northern Colorado at Greeley, Colo. TBA    
Sat, 
Oct 13
Montana (Family Weekend) Alerus Center TBA    
Sat, 
Oct 20
Sacramento State at Sacramento, Calif. TBA    
Sat, 
Oct 27
Weber State (Military Appreciation | Band Day) Alerus Center TBA    
Sat, 
Nov 03
Montana State at Bozeman, Mont. TBA    
Sat, 
Nov 10
Portland State (Senior Recognition Day) Alerus Center TBA    
Sat, 
Nov 17
Northern Arizona at Flagstaff, Ariz. TBA
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, AJS said:

Looking back at 2017, I'm going to oversimplify it, but I truly believe the majority of the problems were directly linked to injuries in key positions where there was no depth. Nobody could have pictured after 2 games this team would have ended up where they did. Defensively, the team had no answers for every team who attacked the ILB position or threw at will at freshman Blubaugh. Keep every other injury that happened, but give that team a healthy Rodgers and Holm and the year is different. Not saying they'd make a deep run into the playoffs like everyone expected, but just with those two, the defense is considerably better, no doubt. Injuries happen, but I'm betting they don't take a toll like they did this past year again for a very long time.

Positives going into 2018, the weaknesses of the defense, start with ILB (Rodgers, Larson, Hunt), take any two of those and you have a solid starting ILB. CB (Harris, Holm, Blubaugh), take any two of those and you have solid CB's. This isn't including any additions or other players on the team that will improve. 

Offensively, look at the O-Line, this team will have depth at QB, WR and RB. 

What does everyone think of the schedule? 

I know many hate it, but I like starting off against MVSU, good tune up game with an FCS opponent. Pretty ideal start to the "Big Sky" season with Idaho State at home, UNC on the road and then a bye heading into a home game against Montana, who's much better at home than away. Sac State is improved, but you'll take them as one of the away games on the schedule. Weber State is tough, but a home game. Finish with two tough road trips at Montana State and Northern Arizona, sandwiched between home game against Portland. I think the schedule lines up pretty nicely. 

Positives:

• MSVU at home start off season
  • Getting Montana / Weber State at home (tough games)
  • UNC / Sac State as "Big Sky" Road Games

Negatives

• Sam Houston on the road - tough game with 1-1 record going into "conference" play
  • Road trips to Montana State / Northern Arizona (latter being much better at home than on the road)
Thu, 
Aug 30
Mississippi Valley (Home Opener) Alerus Center TBA    
Sat, 
Sep 08
Washington at Seattle, Wash. TBA    
Sat, 
Sep 15
Sam Houston State at Huntsville, Texas TBA    
Sat, 
Sep 22
Idaho State (53rd annual Potato Bowl | 102nd Annual Homecoming) Alerus Center TBA    
Sat, 
Sep 29
Northern Colorado at Greeley, Colo. TBA    
Sat, 
Oct 13
Montana (Family Weekend) Alerus Center TBA    
Sat, 
Oct 20
Sacramento State at Sacramento, Calif. TBA    
Sat, 
Oct 27
Weber State (Military Appreciation | Band Day) Alerus Center TBA    
Sat, 
Nov 03
Montana State at Bozeman, Mont. TBA    
Sat, 
Nov 10
Portland State (Senior Recognition Day) Alerus Center TBA    
Sat, 
Nov 17
Northern Arizona at Flagstaff, Ariz. TBA

Harris, Holm, Blubaugh any of those two and you have solid CBs. You don't know much about football.

We got exposed in the secondary because we were young there, but that's not the only thing. No Harris and don't underestimate the loss of Reyes and the LB's. Cole was the quarterback back there on defense. Not having him back there severely hurt us because of his ability. We were severely undersized in the front seven and we were unable to get sustained pressure on opposing QB's which is why those young Corners got picked on. Tamas Stewart was oft injured and new to the defense. Healthy front seven getting offenses in third and long situations will make those corners look better.

31 minutes ago, AJS said:

Explain

I believe he's referencing the Blubaugh. Maybe even Blubaugh and Holm. I felt Blubaugh really struggled this year. Holm was good for a true freshmen but some improvement is needed to be what I would call a solid FCS CB. With all that said I would never conclude that you don't know much about football. You may have seen something in those two that I didn't. I respect that.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Anyone care to take an early stab at the two deep? Predictions on which redshirts will be pulled?

Not a two deep, but yesterday during the signing show Tom Miller had his very early predictions on the starters for next year. Thoughts?

Offense

LT - Mortel (So)

LG - Tobin (So)

C - Rooney (Jr)

RG - Nguon (So)

RT - Helgren (So)

TE - Fielder (Sr)

QB - Ketteringham (Jr)

RB - Santiago (Sr)

FB - Pinke (So)

WR - Toivonen (Jr)

WR - Wanzek (Jr)

Miller's early predictions for starters on defense:

DL - Cieslak (Sr)

DL - Harris (Sr)

DL - Bennett (Jr)

OLB - Palmborg (Sr)

ILB - Hunt (So)

ILB - Rodgers (Jr)

OLB - Lawrence (Jr)

CB - Harris (Sr)

S - Shannon (So)

S - Canady (So)

CB - Holm (Jr)

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Not a two deep, but yesterday during the signing show Tom Miller had his very early predictions on the starters for next year. Thoughts?

Offense

LT - Mortel (So)

LG - Tobin (So)

C - Rooney (Jr)

RG - Nguon (So)

RT - Helgren (So)

TE - Fielder (Sr)

QB - Ketteringham (Jr)

RB - Santiago (Sr)

FB - Pinke (So)

WR - Toivonen (Jr)

WR - Wanzek (Jr)

No Aplin?  Not a single projected starting OL currently over 300#.  Wilkerson should be running in the red this winter/spring.

Also, outside of Santiago, there's not a lot of speed out there.

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

No Aplin?  Not a single projected starting OL currently over 300#.  Wilkerson should be running in the red this winter/spring.

Also, outside of Santiago, there's not a lot of speed out there.

I cringed when Rudolph was talking WRs during his interview. These are the types that fit our system.... then he talked about how they will be run blocking. Not a word about making big plays or even catching the ball.