Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
geaux_sioux

FIRE RUDOLPH

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Bubba has a 24-22 record after 4 seasons. Pretty average. Losing season next season and he should get the boot. Having a losing record after five seasons is more than enough to qualify a dismissal. I hope it goes the other way, obviously, and we have a winning season. I'll be in the stands irregardless. Time to look at the record and not just whether the guy will buy you a cup of coffee. Being nice will only get you so far. 

He's probably coaching for his job next season, with the change in regime at the top of the athletic department.  If it does happen (I hope it doesn't) he's locked in until 2021 so there's some sticky economics involved, not to mention what USD and the xDSU's are paying which will need to be addressed also.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I think this fan base needs to be prepared that seasons like this last one might be the norm starting in 2020 and moving forward for a couple years after that.  UND will need a huge upgrade in talent and coaching ability to be ready to win in the MVC come 2020.

Why? We are moving into the MVFC not the SEC. SDSU went from the GWFC into the MVFC and got into the playoffs their first year. We aren’t a DI transition team we are a fully established DI team just moving from one good conference to another. Your comment sounds like it was cut and pasted from Bisonville.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Bubba has a 24-22 record after 4 seasons. Pretty average. Losing season next season and he should get the boot. Having a losing record after five seasons is more than enough to qualify a dismissal. I hope it goes the other way, obviously, and we have a winning season. I'll be in the stands irregardless. Time to look at the record and not just whether the guy will buy you a cup of coffee. Being nice will only get you so far. 

18-24-1 was Roger Thomas’s record after 4 seasons. So should we have replaced him after the 1989 season? We hit a bump in the road, have some faith. Bubba proved he can get the program on the right track and into the playoffs. If this repeats then it becomes a problem.

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

IMO most recruits are NOT reading these boards.  You really think 17 year olds are taking the time to read message boards?  Not a chance,maybe  a few parents but i doubt that very much either.

If a high school recruit doesn't even want to make an effort to learn all about a team that offered  him, I don't want him period.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TRex said:

If a high school recruit doesn't even want to make an effort to learn all about a team that offered  him, I don't want him period.   

You don’t understand recruiting or high school kids.  Why would a prospective student athlete care what a bunch of fans, boosters, ex-players and sometimes trolls write on a blog.  You give all of us and prospective student athletes way too much credit.

 

recruiting is about the relationship between college coach and prospective athlete which many times is preceded by relationship between college coach and athletes high school coach.

 

What is talked about in here is much the same way some of us would talk about UND football if we all had a few drinks and were hanging out.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

18-24-1 was Roger Thomas’s record after 4 seasons. So should we have replaced him after the 1989 season? We hit a bump in the road, have some faith. Bubba proved he can get the program on the right track and into the playoffs. If this repeats then it becomes a problem.

I agree with this,   Bubba can turn it around.  There are variables, but he needs a minimum of 6 wins next year to survive.  New sheriff in town(Kennedy &newAD).  If there are more substantial off field problems the end could come sooner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Why? We are moving into the MVFC not the SEC. SDSU went from the GWFC into the MVFC and got into the playoffs their first year. We aren’t a DI transition team we are a fully established DI team just moving from one good conference to another. Your comment sounds like it was cut and pasted from Bisonville.

And at the same time NDSU made that same move to the MVFC, and the first couple years they had their asses handed to them on a regular basis.    As for SDSU, yes they made the playoffs but lost in the first round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

18-24-1 was Roger Thomas’s record after 4 seasons. So should we have replaced him after the 1989 season? We hit a bump in the road, have some faith. Bubba proved he can get the program on the right track and into the playoffs. If this repeats then it becomes a problem.

Quick turnarounds can happen in this day and age. That was 1989 and Division II athletics. No comparison, Darrell. Nice try though. Some of us don't want to have a good season every three and play this roller coaster game. That is ridiculous and reflects a hopeless program. NDSU wouldn't stand for that crap. Hell, South Dakota State wouldn't either. 

Lets hope this year was just an anomaly. We'll know at this time next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Why? We are moving into the MVFC not the SEC. SDSU went from the GWFC into the MVFC and got into the playoffs their first year. We aren’t a DI transition team we are a fully established DI team just moving from one good conference to another. Your comment sounds like it was cut and pasted from Bisonville.

The two conferences aren't really on the same level at this point in time.  Doesn't take much to see that.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sioux_Alum1998 said:

You typically don't/can't expect an incoming player to play as a true freshman. It takes years in many positions to get down the plays and be strong enough to compete. There are situations where true freshman and redshirt freshman can be ready early, but that's few and far between. You see very little of this even at big DI schools. 

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_e6a52d16-91a1-11e7-a7f3-a3a681e8b7a3.html

LSU played 17 true freshman in their season opener this year... 77% of the freshman class played. I am trying to find more overall statistics but I think the true freshman excuse is crap too. Just another sign of bad recruiting if you expect ALL freshman to redshirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_e6a52d16-91a1-11e7-a7f3-a3a681e8b7a3.html

LSU played 17 true freshman in their season opener this year... 77% of the freshman class played. I am trying to find more overall statistics but I think the true freshman excuse is crap too. Just another sign of bad recruiting if you expect ALL freshman to redshirt.

Played or started?  

Not all freshman should/have to red shirt but having as many sophomores and younger start isn’t good either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_e6a52d16-91a1-11e7-a7f3-a3a681e8b7a3.html

LSU played 17 true freshman in their season opener this year... 77% of the freshman class played. I am trying to find more overall statistics but I think the true freshman excuse is crap too. Just another sign of bad recruiting if you expect ALL freshman to redshirt.

LSU is SEC, UND is big sky 

Bad comparison but I get your point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, homer said:

Played or started?  

Not all freshman should/have to red shirt but having as many sophomores and younger start isn’t good either

4 started, 3 regularly rotated in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WiSioux said:

http://lubbockonline.com/sports/2013-10-25/freshmen-players-making-big-impact-college-football-teams

According to this 2013 article 12% (359) of college football first or second stringers were freshmen. Of those, 72 were starters.

It is an unusual freshman who can start on any college football team.  At an FCS level it would most likely have to be someone who for one reason or another was overlooked by FBS schools.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Yet, in spite of the injuries, sit at #1 in the nation.  Down in the most recent game, their offense picked up the slack and won the football game with the last 14 points.  Amazing how that works.

Now pull out a couple All-Americans behind them and put a few third stringers there as well. Remains to be seen how the injuries effect them over the next few weeks but my point is, even the best team in college football sees noticeable drop offs once you start getting past the two-deep, especially at multiple positions. 

As for their offense, I'm sure a former NFL positions coach up in the booth calling the plays doesn't hurt. If we can figure that out, I'm all for it. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Quick turnarounds can happen in this day and age. That was 1989 and Division II athletics. No comparison, Darrell. Nice try though. Some of us don't want to have a good season every three and play this roller coaster game. That is ridiculous and reflects a hopeless program. NDSU wouldn't stand for that crap. Hell, South Dakota State wouldn't either. 

Lets hope this year was just an anomaly. We'll know at this time next year. 

NDSU won 3 games in 2009 and some people called for Bohl’s head, sound familiar. Let’s see if this is a trend like what happened in the Mussman era or a one time thing like in the Bohl era. Next year will answer a lot of questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

The two conferences aren't really on the same level at this point in time.  Doesn't take much to see that.

Both conferences have 4 teams with at least 7 wins. Like I said they are both good conferences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

NDSU won 3 games in 2009 and some people called for Bohl’s head, sound familiar. Let’s see if this is a trend like what happened in the Mussman era or a one time thing like in the Bohl era. Next year will answer a lot of questions. 

I'd feel better if I had seen even the slightest inkling that Bubba will make some changes - we haven't seen any so far (and I don't mean just since the end of the season - I mean ever).  His endorsement of Rudolph and his offensive play calling made me throw up in my mouth a little.  

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Irish said:

I'd feel better if I had seen even the slightest inkling that Bubba will make some changes - we haven't seen any so far (and I don't mean just since the end of the season - I mean ever).  His endorsement of Rudolph and his offensive play calling made me throw up in my mouth a little.  

His back is against the wall now though. If he’s ever going to make changes they will happen now and we will see the results in the first game. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Irish said:

I'd feel better if I had seen even the slightest inkling that Bubba will make some changes - we haven't seen any so far (and I don't mean just since the end of the season - I mean ever).  His endorsement of Rudolph and his offensive play calling made me throw up in my mouth a little.  

We have 9 months til next season starts, things can change. If not, and we have 3 wins then maybe changing the top position should be looked at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

NDSU won 3 games in 2009 and some people called for Bohl’s head, sound familiar. Let’s see if this is a trend like what happened in the Mussman era or a one time thing like in the Bohl era. Next year will answer a lot of questions. 

I agree with you saying next year will be the make or break year for this UND staff, but if you are going to compare this situation to the NDSU 2009 situation, I think some very important differences should be pointed out between the two situations.

1st, Bohl had already built a TON of equity with the fanbase and the boosters by having two back to back 10-1 seasons, the historic 2003 win at Montana, NDSU’s first FBS win in 2006 over Ball state, a win over the MAC champion Central Michigan in 2007 and the program shifting win in 2007 over Minnesota. One could argue Bubba has equity with the fanbase as well, but as a coordinator moreso than the head coach.

2nd, I’m not one for moral victories, a loss is a loss, but being blown out in multiple games is a much different scenario to me than losing 4 games by less than 7 points. I’ll post the links below, if anyone cares to peruse each season to compare.

Again, I agree that the prudent thing for the UND fanbase is to give it one more year before calling for Bubba to be removed, but using NDSUs ‘09 season as analogous to UND’s 2017 season is being unfair to the portion of your fanbase that is genuinely disgusted with the manner in which UND played this year in those losses.

http://www.gobison.com/mobile/schedule.aspx?schedule=46

 

http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=6399&SPSID=58644

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Why? We are moving into the MVFC not the SEC. SDSU went from the GWFC into the MVFC and got into the playoffs their first year. We aren’t a DI transition team we are a fully established DI team just moving from one good conference to another. Your comment sounds like it was cut and pasted from Bisonville.

Bubba has 2 years to prove he can assemble a team that can compete in the MVC........I'm just hoping UND isn't the worst Dakota team in 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

The two conferences aren't really on the same level at this point in time.  Doesn't take much to see that.

How did UNI do against the big sky this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×