SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

One thing that has been overlooked (as far I have seen and read) is the outcry, anger and disappointment that has been displayed by the REA, its management, the Engelstad family and its organization/business/foundation since the decision to discontinue the Women's Hockey program occurred.  

They have been appalled and loud since that day.

Remember that?...

Speaks volumes.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

One thing that has been overlooked (as far I have seen and read) is the outcry, anger and disappointment that has been displayed by the REA, its management, the Engelstad family and its organization/business/foundation since the decision to discontinue the Women's Hockey program occurred.  

Remember that?...

Speaks volumes.

Can’t say I’ve heard anything from any of them to be honest.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

What did a poster once say? Something along the lines of if they come up with a plan that could keep hockey but also cut enough to meet the budget and stay compliant?

Can that poster confirm that is what was said back then (or some semblance of what it was?)

I mentioned that if they come up with $60 million, there better be a plan in place to not blow the money in a few years. Also to have a way to maintain a budget and find ways for revenue.

41 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

What did a poster once say? Something along the lines of if they come up with a plan that could keep hockey but also cut enough to meet the budget and stay compliant?

Can that poster confirm that is what was said back then (or some semblance of what it was?)

Can't debate numbers and facts with the Lammy Twins.  Those kind of things don''t matter to them.  It's all about "little girls dreams" and "UND is a hockey school" that really matter.  Hopefully their significant others do the budget in their house!!

59 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Kevin, feel free to create a user name and password here and PM me directly.  Nobody WANTED women's hockey to go away, but that $2 million-a-year albatross around UND's neck was hard to ignore.

Bemidji State vs UMD yesterday in women's WCHA playoffs...FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY FIVE ATTENDEES!  News flash:  North Dakota isn't the only school that's going to have trouble keeping women's hockey afloat.  Call it a hunch.    

Shouldn’t the numbers of fans prove how popular the sport is on campus. More people attended UND volleyball games against Big Sky opponents (other than the Montana’s) than go to women hockey games against the Badgers or Gophers. Too bad it takes dropping the program to get people excited about UND women’s hockey. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Remember that?...

Speaks volumes.

Cutting women's hockey may have been about reducing REA's $2 million per year deficit nearly as much as it was about removing the WIH $2 million per year deficit....

• Upvote 1

Again, and at risk of repeating myself, this does not scream economic viability. 

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-women-s-hockey-conference-wcha-takes-unprecedented-turn-toward-crowdfunding/435628563/ 

From the link:

In 2015-16, when the Gophers women's hockey team won another NCAA title, the program produced $350,586 in revenue and had $2,368,675 in expenses, for a net loss of about $2.02 million, according to their NCAA Financial Report.

Crowd funding and losing $2 million a year. 

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Again, and at risk of repeating myself, this does not scream economic viability. 

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-women-s-hockey-conference-wcha-takes-unprecedented-turn-toward-crowdfunding/435628563/ 

From the link:

Crowd funding and losing $2 million a year. 

#buttolympics, #ReinstateAtAllCosts

#IfYou ReinstateItTheyWillCome

Just now, UND Fan said:

REA’s $2M deficit???

In addition to its cut of ticket sales, I believe UND has had to pay REA around $2 million per year. With more open weekends, REA will be able to reduce costs and/or be free to book actual revenue generating events. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

In addition to its cut of ticket sales, I believe UND has had to pay REA around $2 million per year. With more open weekends, REA will be able to reduce costs and/or be free to book actual revenue generating events. 

Agree but that is just a byproduct of dropping WH. To insinuate or suggest that was a legitimate factor in the decision..............nope. 

Hmmm.  

I'll be curious to see if this gold medal creates any real traction...outside of message boards...to bring back women's hockey.  

I fall in the bring it back group.  Yes, we are a hockey school.  Yes, it is about little North Dakota girls dreams.  

I'm just not into impassioned pleading over it on a message board.  I just hope it happens.  But, I'm doubtful it will. 

Been wrong before though... 

• Upvote 1

There has been a lot of focus on athletics, but lets remember our friends in academia.

(To preface this: I recall the words of my advisor who was at UND for nearly 40 years until his passing last fall: No department wants to make cuts to their budget because they feel they are the most important department on campus). 

If I was a department head/dean on campus, whose budgets have been slashed, professors lost, programs eliminated, etc.  Imagine my reaction to find out that the athletic department would bring back a sport that lost a large amount of money. 

Hey, why should athletics get to bring back something while I get nothing? I am not going to put up with that, if they can get something, I can get something.*

Now imagine that reaction by several of these important people, especially ones that make things not so rosy on campus. Remember the outcry from the faculty when Schafer cut Baseball and they were mad because they weren't included?  It would be way worse. 

You cannot reopen the door.

Its why no matter how much is begged, these programs aren't coming back. 

*I wouldn't blame any faculty member for being that way tbh and honestly I would expect a lot to react that same way. 

I liked watching the women’s games live, but was not going to travel 4 hours to see one unless if was in GF for something else.  Is there a reason they didn’t do a back2back with the men’s games?  That would have been a riot to make a day of it.

side note: my hockey playing/Sioux loving 9 year old daughter told me  “I feel like there isn’t going to be anymore girls playing hockey” after hearing about UND cutting the women’s program.   So part of me seen “young girls dreams being broken”.  But I have a hard time with empty seats and a 2M loss.

40 minutes ago, pontoonin said:

I liked watching the women’s games live, but was not going to travel 4 hours to see one unless if was in GF for something else.  Is there a reason they didn’t do a back2back with the men’s games?  That would have been a riot to make a day of it.

side note: my hockey playing/Sioux loving 9 year old daughter told me  “I feel like there isn’t going to be anymore girls playing hockey” after hearing about UND cutting the women’s program.   So part of me seen “young girls dreams being broken”.  But I have a hard time with empty seats and a 2M loss.

I've been in many discussions with friends about WH games prior to MH games, maybe not all, but at least most home games. "Making a day of it". Even if a good portion of the MH fans came in for the last period of the WH game. Watching the end of games could of brought more interest to WH, maybe over time the fans would of started coming earlier and earlier?

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I've been in many discussions with friends about WH games prior to MH games, maybe not all, but at least most home games. "Making a day of it". Even if a good portion of the MH fans came in for the last period of the WH game. Watching the end of games could of brought more interest to WH, maybe over time the fans would of started coming earlier and earlier?

Maybe,  but for me after moving back to grand forks and going to a few games,  i got less and less interested in watching the womens' games,  and soon quit going, except when i worked a game

14 minutes ago, sprig said:

Maybe,  but for me after moving back to grand forks and going to a few games,  i got less and less interested in watching the womens' games,  and soon quit going, except when i worked a game

I guess I should also add, that in our discussions some said that they have went to WH games and they just couldn't get excited about it. Maybe hockey isn't meant to be for women? Definitely struggling in college.