SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

7 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

There are only two kinds of schools:  those who have sold their soul to the devil, and those chomping at the bit to.  Up and down I-29, it's money that talks.

If you think this is such a great idea, why don't you write Kennedy and Faison and suggest they do this in Grand Forks as well? :silly:

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

If you think this is such a great idea, why don't you write Kennedy and Faison and suggest they do this in Grand Forks as well? :silly:

Didn't say it was a great idea. Only that it was inevitable, and not the end of the world (as some seem to think).

So long as games stay on TV, I could care less what UND does or does not put in its contracts. I am not in the media and I have no loyalty to any of their broadcast partners. Heck, I still miss Pat Sweeney. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Didn't say it was a great idea. Only that it was inevitable, and not the end of the world (as some seem to think).

So long as games stay on TV, I could care less what UND does or does not put in its contracts. I am not in the media and I have no loyalty to any of their broadcast partners. Heck, I still miss Pat Sweeney. 

So you don't care what kind of coverage our teams get? That is really short-sighted, just like this asinine policy from FU. And no, it was not "inevitable", it is the product of bloated, oversized egos at a mid-major Division I institution which is acting like they are already in the Big 12 and are the center of the collegiate sports universe (neither of those things are true). Limiting exposure of your product is just plain stupid and it alienates your biggest boosters and most loyal fans; two groups any university dares not alienate. Except for FU of course.

I should be enjoying this, but I am not, because it could happen in Grand Forks too. What if coverage of UND hockey was limited to the holders of the broadcast rights and everyone else was banned? Does that sound like a good idea to you? Is it "inevitable"? I say no.

• Upvote 1

So you don't care what kind of coverage our teams get? That is really short-sighted, just like this asinine policy from FU. Of course, that is why you like it. And no, it was not "inevitable", it is the product of bloated, oversized egos at a mid-major Division I institution which is acting like they are already in the Big 12 and are the center of the collegiate sports universe (neither of those things are true). Limiting exposure of your product is just plain stupid and it alienates your biggest boosters and most loyal fans; two groups any university dares not alienate. Except for FU of course.

I should be enjoying this, but I am not, because it could happen in Grand Forks too. What if coverage of UND hockey was limited to the holders of the broadcast rights and everyone else was banned? Does that sound like a good idea to you? Is it "inevitable"? I say no to both of those questions.

But here's the rub...my premise is that, just like at NDSU, UND's games stay on TV (although I will continue to attend in person, as well).  UND Athletics has a strong presence of Twitter, and I expect they will continue to adapt to whatever new media come down the road.  I have no doubt that SiouxSports.com and USCHO.com -- who both operate completely free of UND influence -- will continue to exist.  And so long as Schlossman stays employed at the Herald, I can count on him to continue providing the level of hockey journalism he always has.  I don't need the Herald, though.  As a non-subscriber, I only read the free online content or whatever physical copies get left sitting in various lobbies and waiting rooms.  So if the Herald put everything behind a pay wall tomorrow, I would get over it immediately.

So, basically, that's the full extent of the coverage and exposure of UND that I consume and/or need.  What more do you need?  What more does anyone need?

16 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

But here's the rub...my premise is that, just like at NDSU, UND's games stay on TV (although I will continue to attend in person, as well).  UND Athletics has a strong presence of Twitter, and I expect they will continue to adapt to whatever new media come down the road.  I have no doubt that SiouxSports.com and USCHO.com -- who both operate completely free of UND influence -- will continue to exist.  And so long as Schlossman stays employed at the Herald, I can count on him to continue providing the level of hockey journalism he always has.  I don't need the Herald, though.  As a non-subscriber, I only read the free online content or whatever physical copies get left sitting in various lobbies and waiting rooms.  So if the Herald put everything behind a pay wall tomorrow, I would get over it immediately.

So, basically, that's the full extent of the coverage and exposure of UND that I consume and/or need.  What more do you need?  What more does anyone need?

I give up. You are convinced that less exposure is somehow better. I am calling bullcrap on that.

I give up. You are convinced that less exposure is somehow better. I am calling bullcrap on that.

But you haven't identified a single byte, frame, or millisecond of exposure that UND stands to lose.

All NDSU fans are 'losing' is that pre-game shows will be filmed off-site, a different voice might be asking questions at interviews, and that they may have to change their radio presets.  Big deal.  If the Forum has any journalistic integrity at all, they won't punish fans by cutting coverage over sour grapes with NDSU.  After all, the Forum needs eyeballs, too.

27 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Kolpack is to ndsu what Schlossman is to UND and ndsu just cut his access. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

But not his credential.  He's still a member of the working media and will continue to be treated as such.  As would Schlossman if the same thing happened here.

Unlimited and unfettered access was a vestige of a prior era.  Quaint, but totally unrealistic.

Football and basketball coaches interviews "must not include calls from viewers or listeners" and are limited to ten minutes or less...and can not be scheduled regularity.

Pretty strict access to state employees....wonder if they paid them by the minute interview it could go longer than ten minutes?

22 minutes ago, Cratter said:

This sites credentials would be banned or not issued as it often gives updates and "play by play" accounts by the users and is considered "social media" as outlined by the NDSU news release.

In fairness to those following along, I think you need to qualify that statement by telling us the extent to which, if any, this site relies on any form of official or credentialed content whatsoever.

Even if the proprietor of the site were credentialed and desired to remain so, the forums -- where the "play-by-play" accounts appear -- could easily be split off as a separate 'outlet' and not jeopardize the owner's status.

There is a big difference between controlling access and denying access.  JJ totally screwed up. If anyone should have known how to craft a release explaining the new rules, it should have been him. He turned something simple in to a big S_ _ _ Show.

• Upvote 1

Besides the obvious shots at Kolpack and Izzo, which was nothing short of rules written to prevent coverage they have been presenting for multiple years now, this (along with Jorgenson saying no exceptions) goes beyond anything that I've been able to find:

Football and basketball head coaches will not be available for one-on-one interviews live or taped on radio, television or Internet in-season without the written consent of NDSU. Press conferences or other media availability will be scheduled for news coverage.

Football and basketball assistant coaches may participate in one-on-one radio and television interviews in-season. Interviews shall be less than 10 minutes in length, may not include calls from listeners or viewers, and may not be regularly scheduled appearances.

So that means zero interviews for the Forum with Klieman, Richman and I guess Walseth since Jorgenson has already said they will deny other non-rights holder's requests. Outside of press conferences, the only one talking to Klieman is KVLY and RFM and the only one talking to Richman and Walseth is Midco and RFM. Unless given special access, that means ESPN won't be able to interview Klieman for the College Football Kickoff. Now I'm sure they will walk back on that real quick with ESPN, but what a great way to "protect your brand" by giving out an exception just a few weeks after saying that you will likely deny any requests of that nature. I've yet to see any other media relation guidelines that are this restrictive by another university. I'm not sure whose advice they were listening to when they drew this up, but they took what isn't a real big deal and extended their reach just a little too far. Great timing for the athletic department to upset the Forum too, not like DB isn't having issues of his own.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

For NDSU's sake hopefully these recent poor decisions don't "sink the ship". NDSU's success won't last forever so burning bridges is a bad idea. Bresciani needs to go as he probably has had his hands in these decisions. He is also prob the reason for no annual rivalry with UND. That rivalry means only good things for the state. Once UND rises to a higher level in football and the Bison fall some you will see NDSU begging for the rivalry back.

:lol::lol::silly:

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I bet those emails disappear.  "HILLARY", where are you??

So ....

Great thread here about the knuckle heads at the AC big-timin' their local media sycophants -- who buy ink by the barrel -- and you want to derail it into what promises to be another tired political pissing match?

11 minutes ago, SooToo said:

So ....

Great thread here about the knuckle heads at the AC big-timin' their local media sycophants -- who buy ink by the barrel -- and you want to derail it into what promises to be another tired political pissing match?

Why don't you ask nd1sufan.

Now turn off MSNBC for a second and pay attention!!

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

Wasn't this deal signed a couple of months ago?  It is almost as if FU just found out what they signed and are trying to put lipstick on a pig. 

That's one of the questions....NDSU hasn't released the contracts they awarded months ago or I think are claiming they aren't finished yet.

These restrictions seem to be in retrospect, which is odd. They more than likely would have higher bids if they knew they'd be shut out had they not won.

48 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Why don't you ask nd1sufan.

Now turn off MSNBC for a second and pay attention!!

I would NEVER vote for Hilary either. I wasn't trying to make this political, just trying to equate the "blind" support of an athletic department to the "blind" support some voters give to ANY political party. This year it happens to apply to both major parties. But anybody that thinks Mr. The only thing I can say on the campaign trail is "Crooked Hilary", is the best we can do for a president is blindly following party lines.

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Actually, while I think this policy is wrong, I think Kolpack can do everything Schlossman can do. The only thing Kolpack did that he can't anymore is the live pregame show in the parking lot. Maybe technically the live blog.

17 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Actually, while I think this policy is wrong, I think Kolpack can do everything Schlossman can do. The only thing Kolpack did that he can't anymore is the live pregame show in the parking lot. Maybe technically the live blog.

Brad does a live blog during the game and can interview the head coach during the season. Kolpack can do neither. 

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Brad does a live blog during the game and can interview the head coach during the season. Kolpack can do neither. 

Unless he get permission. FYI he has already been invited to our tailgate and he can broadcast from there. I also dont think they will be restricted at away games.

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I don't think print media are excluded from interviewing coaches since they don't award a print contract. He can't do a recorded interview for radio or TV though, like on Kolpack and Izzo. I could be wrong though.