SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-3) @ UNC (4-4) (1/30)

SWSiouxMN

I keep reading about people questioning Shanks and so forth.  Here is my take:

I like him.  He is a 7 footer who needs to develop, he is only a sophomore.  If he was developed he would be playing in East Lansing.

He has athletic ability but just needs more and more reps in all situations for muscle memory and experience. 

His first initial move/footwork is very good and fairly quick. He usually beats the defender to where he wants to go.  But, his finishing is raw and is what needs work.  Gym time. 

The first bucket of the game yesterday where he led the defender into the paint, did a quick dropstep back to the baseline, then powered up to the crotch instead of fading to the baseline was awesome.  textbook post play.  But he needs MORE of those simple post setups.  Throw it into him on the block and let him work with some space.  5 times a game, maybe? 

Plus, he plays with passion and cares about the team and UND.  That much is evident.

Like Art pointed out, he is not a pick and roll top of the key guy.  he is an old school post player. 

• Upvote 2

Tough loss on the road, time to forget that one and move on to Idaho State. 4 road games left before tournament time so hopefully we can get those wins and gain confidence away from the Betty. Weber is on Saturday but can't look at that game until after ISU. 

27 minutes ago, Cratter said:

UNC makes four more missed three throws, UNC still wins. 

"Ifs" are stupid in sports. 

wrong again..fact is 7 ft guys missing wide open dunks and offensive goal tending calls are much less common than free throws...THINK!

2 hours ago, hoops44 said:

shanks lays it in instead of blowing wide open dunk, geno does not goal tend on Adams lay up...UND wins ...

So, by your theory of "ifs", the Vikings are 6 time almost Super Bowl Champs.  The sad fact is that this is not the only game that has come down to the wire where we had last shot and got of a low percentage/crappy shot.  

Young team got too confident, things had been coming easy. They had some adversity last night and didn't weather it. Lots of things that could have went another way, hopefully they (and the staff) learn from it so later in the year they come out with a better result. This team has the talent to make some noise in the conference tournament.

26 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Young team got too confident, things had been coming easy. They had some adversity last night and didn't weather it. Lots of things that could have went another way, hopefully they (and the staff) learn from it so later in the year they come out with a better result. This team has the talent to make some noise in the conference tournament.

His teams haven't handled adversity(very well) for 10 years...

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, F'n Hawks said:

His teams haven't handled adversity(very well) for 10 years...

I don't necessarily disagree overall but if you haven't seen a difference between this year and the last couple years, it's because you aren't paying attention or you don't want to. Like I said, I hope everyone learns from it.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I don't necessarily disagree overall but if you haven't seen a difference between this year and the last couple years, it's because you aren't paying attention or you don't want to. Like I said, I hope everyone learns from it.

This is a young team, better this happening now then in the big sky tournament, your right hopefully we learn from this

1 hour ago, F'n Hawks said:

This is a young team, better this happening now then in the big sky tournament, your right hopefully we learn from this

Jones' teams do play their best in March and that has been shown consistently in his ten years here. 

Excellent story today on the women's BB team - "finding ways to win". As maligned as they have been this year when they were down 1 with 1 second left against Montana they run a picture perfect play to win the game - the men have been in several similar situations this year with different results - I don't blame the players I blame the play callers. . 

51 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Excellent story today on the women's BB team - "finding ways to win". As maligned as they have been this year when they were down 1 with 1 second left against Montana they run a picture perfect play to win the game - the men have been in several similar situations this year with different results - I don't blame the players I blame the play callers. . 

Yes and No to blaming the callers.  First you get the ball into your best players hand, which is what has been done.  Hooker then needs to make the right decision with the ball when he drives and based on his what I have seen he's made the wrong decisions.  He has played enough basketball and seen enough that you will not get the foul call in situations like this and when he is double/triple teamed the best option is to pass to a wide open player for a shot, not throw the ball up over your head and hope for a call. A fade away jumper from the elbow for him is better than what he has done.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:40 PM, southpaw said:

Jone's teams do play their best in March and that has been shown consistently in his ten years here. 

Or else his teams underperformed early and mid-season of each of those years.  With a team being young and inexperienced that may make some sense but many of his teams were not inexperienced!

• Upvote 2