SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-3) @ UNC (4-4) (1/30)

SWSiouxMN

5 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

agreed.   he seemed a step slower tonight too, I don't know if possibly his foot is bothering him worse than usual or what.   he couldn't get separation when attempting to drive most of the night.

My point was he is 0-3 now on potential game winning shots.  All were drives deep into Lane that didn't have a chance in hell.  Maybe you knew that, if so sorry.

What was wrong with giving it to Drick, who they absolutely could not guard at end?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

My point was he is 0-3 now on potential game winning shots.  All were drives deep into Lane that didn't have a chance in hell.

What was wrong with giving it to Drick, who they absolutely could not guard at end?

right.  Drick had no problem getting good looks.  keep running the motion offense and get it to him would've been a good option.

2 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I can't remember the last time UND ran a play other than Crandall or Hooker go one on five and throw up a prayer at the end of a game or half.

Sorry, thats on Hooker.  A play isn't absolutely set for Hooker to shoot no matter what.  Its on him to dish when he draws multiple defenders.  He tries to do too much at times.

3 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

Sorry, thats on Hooker.  A play isn't absolutely set for Hooker to shoot no matter what.  Its on him to dish when he draws multiple defenders.  He tries to do too much at times.

the play is stand around, wait until we almost run out of time, and then drive and shoot, or drive and dish.  

I would prefer to at least one time keep running the motion offense instead.

11 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I watched it again.  They faked the screen and roll, then vacated the middle to allow Hooker to drive and score.  100% setup for him to drive and win the game.

exactly, it just doesn't work.  and as you or someone else mentioned, you don't get those bail out type body contact calls at the end of a game. 

the guys seemed tired at the end.  the bench was shortened a little in the second half. 

I get wanting your best player to take the last shot but if Hooker is going to take that, it needs to be from the elbow where he doesn't miss. Still think Drick was the best option tonight, they had no answer for him short of putting him on the line. 

12 minutes ago, Kab said:

Shanks misses a dunk

geno hotdogs and does a goaltend to take a basket away

lazy passes

this game was given away

Watched the game with some basketball people, and they brought something up I didn't see.  Shanks plays like the game is too fast at times. Whether it's late movement on pick and roll, or not ready to catch a pass.  He has other problems too that are frustrating.  However, he has his good moments too. Plus, he is a seven footer.  The coaching staff has to figure a way to use his strengths to help the team, and his teammates need to keep him focused and positive.

Geno's put back dunk is 50/50 call.  (I won't rip these refs)  I've seen that same play not waived off many times.  That is a rule that needs to be addressed sometime.

Turnover's always come back to get you.

This game was one UND should have won.  Drick had mismatch regularly and Jones didn't force the play to go to him more often. Especially on the last play. 

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

Just saw the final shot on the sports.  What the actual hell? - This is what we come up with after a time out.  As someone who grew up watching Dave Gunther, Jones drives me absolutely nuts.  

3 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

exactly, it just doesn't work.  and as you or someone else mentioned, you don't get those bail out type body contact calls at the end of a game. 

the guys seemed tired at the end.  the bench was shortened a little in the second half. 

This is one thing that is so frustrating with Jones coaching.  His play calls after TO's is mind boggling.  I will say, it was nice to see them go 2-for-1 finally.  But, yeah, not going to get the foul call on the final play of the game. 

3 minutes ago, niouxsiouxfan said:

Watched the game with some basketball people, and they brought something up I didn't see.  Shanks plays like the game is too fast at times. Whether it's late movement on pick and roll, or not ready to catch a pass.  He has other problems too that are frustrating.  However, he has his good moments too. Plus, he is a seven footer.  The coaching staff has to figure a way to use his strengths to help the team, and his teammates need to keep him focused and positive.

Geno's put back dunk is 50/50 call.  (I won't rip these refs)  I've seen that same play not waived off many times.  That is a rule that needs to be addressed sometime.

Turnover's always come back to get you.

This game was one UND should have won.  Drick had mismatch regularly and Jones didn't force the play to go to him more often. Especially on the last play. 

I hate to keep ripping on him, but the flow of the offense is ten times better when Shanks is on the bench.  things grind to a halt when he's clogging up the middle.   he can be a valuable situational guy off the bench, but to expect major minutes from him just doesn't seem wise at this point.

15 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I hate to keep ripping on him, but the flow of the offense is ten times better when Shanks is on the bench.  things grind to a halt when he's clogging up the middle.   he can be a valuable situational guy off the bench, but to expect major minutes from him just doesn't seem wise at this point.

Pick and roll game exposes his weakness. Not a great pick and roll big. I doubt he would have come here if he knew he'd be setting so many ball screens.

with that said, up by 4 at half with him playing heavy minutes. Decent lead when they took him out. Didn't play the rest of the half. Lost by 1. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Jones with another bench tirade and fly by handshake. 

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Another great "set" by Jones out of a timeout with 10.7 to play. 

Well, you have to at least hand it to Jones in that he's consistent. 

With that, the guy is not a good enough coach for UND. Time to take the steps required to have a competent men's basketball program that folks can rally around and follow. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Agree completely.  He should be coming off the bench.  He can be useful.  I really like the passion he plays with, needs to get that bit under control.  But there is time in the game, when UND is going thru subs to rest Geno and Q, that he could be used.

10 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Pick and roll game exposes his weakness. Not a great pick and roll big. I doubt he would have come here if he knew he'd be setting so many ball screens.

with that said, up by 4 at half with him playing heavy minutes. Decent lead when they took him out. Didn't play the rest of the half. Lost by 1. 

They single him down low in the post quite often.  I've seen him be successful in both areas, but have seen him fail in both instances as well.  There were times he played well and  should have went back to him, he helped create even more of a mismatch for Bernstine. 

These guys deserved this win, and the people that matter better know it.  Then they need to do something about it