SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

Question for anyone who knows the ins and outs of recruiting. UND currently has 16 commitments with 28 offers still on the table. Using defensive backs as the example, the last two commitments were from players recruited as CBs. They still have offers out to 7 defensive backs. You only have a need for X amount of players for each group in each class. Are the coaches in constant contact with the other 7 who have offers, letting them know let's say they only have one scholarship left at that position? Once it's filled do they pull the scholarship offers from all the others? 

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Question for anyone who knows the ins and outs of recruiting. UND currently has 16 commitments with 28 offers still on the table. Using defensive backs as the example, the last two commitments were from players recruited as CBs. They still have offers out to 7 defensive backs. You only have a need for X amount of players for each group in each class. Are the coaches in constant contact with the other 7 who have offers, letting them know let's say they only have one scholarship left at that position? Once it's filled do they pull the scholarship offers from all the others? 

At this time in recruiting, our communication to the most desirable recruits left are let known the window is slowly closing.

9 hours ago, AJS said:

The Wiki "Offers" list includes players who at one time or the other had an offer from UND. When we get a commitment at a certain position, we may pull one or more of these offers from others at that position. As we do not know when and with whom this happens, the recruits remain on Wiki. 

22 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Welcome Kyle....hard to evaluate his video as it seemed the videographer was not able to zoom in.  I was able to distinguish  two different teams by the jersey colors.   

Haha yep.  All his highlights are at WR, so if he is indeed expected to play CB, it's pretty tough to evaluate anyway (other than the fact he appears athletic).

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Haha yep.  All his highlights are at WR, so if he is indeed expected to play CB, it's pretty tough to evaluate anyway (other than the fact he appears athletic).

Ball skills. Just like Deion had coming out of high school, only difference is this guy will be able to redshirt and develop.

17 minutes ago, shep said:

Gibson's HUDL is WR and there was another WR that just signed as a CB. I'm not smart enough to figure out how a WR becomes a S or CB, but the speed of the last couple guys sure would look good on O.

I like that philosophy of going for guys that are also really good receivers and using them as CB's.  Like GeauxSioux said...they have ball skills and will be able to make plays on the ball to pick em off, and still have the build to hit and make tackles. I can hear the Bubba and the coaches talking to those guys about the big/tough WR's in the Big Sky that they will have the opportunity to go against...guys like Kupp, and how important they will be to the team, to get the kids excited about coming and playing CB for UND.  And it is true too.....they will be a huge part of our success in the Big Sky.....defending pass heavy teams like Montana and EWU. 

I agree with all that, but in light of the fact that one thing this team seemed to lack (especially after Clives injury) is a burner to open the field. Maybe I'm wrong in my analysis of some of them, but these new D guys look like they could be that type of WR.

28 minutes ago, shep said:

Gibson's HUDL is WR and there was another WR that just signed as a CB. I'm not smart enough to figure out how a WR becomes a S or CB, but the speed of the last couple guys sure would look good on O.

High Schools put their best athletes on the field to score......most often.  I think that's most of what it is.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

High Schools put their best athletes on the field to score......most often.  I think that's most of what it is.

True...be nice if our D oriented team did that more often, too. 

Not being critical, but the fact these burners are going D is somewhat confusing. I like the WR's we have but all are possession type receivers and do not get open downfield enough. IF a team, had to defend the RB's we have while also having to worry about the long ball down field, this O would be unstoppable. NO safety could ever play within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage.

19 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I thought I read that Bubba said we need to improve at QB.  I would agree.  Studsrud completed only 56% of his passes this year after completing 60% last year.  He was too inconsistent and too slow getting through his reads.  We need 60-65% completions with same TD to Int ratio and he could be All - Conf.  He needs to deliver the ball as the receiver makes his cut.  He needs to be more of a positive factor next year or we will struggle to win another conference Championship.  A fourth year starter needs to be able to do more than read a defense, hand off, and protect the ball.  He hurt us in all three loses with inconsistent and mediocre play.  He showed spurts of being a much better than average QB. We need that caliber of play every game, all game.   Oline should be better, receivers should be better, RBs are outstanding.  We need him to improve and play at a championship level and if he can do that, next year could be special.

I agree, although at this point in his career the "locking on" problem might just be too ingrained.  

13 hours ago, Irish said:

I agree, although at this point in his career the "locking on" problem might just be too ingrained.  

At this point I'd settle for that and have him correct the issue of overthrowing wide open receivers on easy routes. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hawks_Win_Again said:
Griebel - WR - Blue Grey All-American Bowl - Dallas AT&T Stadium -  West 27   East 24
Game's leading receiver & scored from 13 yds. out as a RB for the West team.
           GO HAWKS !!!

1. image.png

Really excited about Mikey  greibel.   Without a doubt he plays next year....very talented and the missing offensive piece ....explosively controlled wide out. 

I watched that blue/grey game...he is very impressive and fun to watch   The announcers were also very impressed.   

Read through the mont st forum on their recruiting front and when Mikey pledged for UND they were disappointed...they wanted him bad and thought maybe a fbs team would be offering him.  I hope with a good/great showing at the all American game that no fbs offers come in late.    

Great get for UND!  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Hawks_Win_Again said:
Griebel - WR - Blue Grey All-American Bowl - Dallas AT&T Stadium -  West 27   East 24
Game's leading receiver & scored from 13 yds. out as a RB for the West team.
           GO HAWKS !!!

1. image.png

I am worried about FBS offers coming in. With that said, there is a good chance Griebel stays loyal to UND considering their longtime recruitment of him (it pays off to be consistent and sincere in recruiting).

I think Griebel and McKinney will both bring a much-needed speed element to the UND offense for years to come; couple that with the young receivers (Toivonen and Wanzek), tightends Cloyd and Pinke, and tailbacks John, Brady, and James and you have a ton of skill position talent. Offensive line and quarterback play is an area of needed improvement, though, and my eyes will be largely on those spots in 2017 spring ball and 2017 season.

Bubba indirectly stated this also during end of season press conference: UND offense can take next offensive step with better quarterback and offensive line play. 

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I am worried about FBS offers coming in. With that said, there is a good chance Griebel stays loyal to UND considering their longtime recruitment of him (it pays off to be consistent and sincere in recruiting).

I think Griebel and McKinney will both bring a much-needed speed element to the UND offense for years to come; couple that with the young receivers (Toivonen and Wanzek), tightends Cloyd and Pinke, and tailbacks John, Brady, and James and you have a ton of skill position talent. Offensive line and quarterback play is an area of needed improvement, though, and my eyes will be largely on those spots in 2017 spring ball and 2017 season.

Bubba indirectly stated this also during end of season press conference: UND offense can take next offensive step with better quarterback and offensive line play. 

He did have an Air Force offer prior, but I'm with you that no other FBS offers come in the next month.