SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

The WCHA and you have some serious issues by failing to understand Arizona State will not go to the WCHA. It's a league mostly full of DII schools, not that there's anything wrong with that, but ASU is not going to sully it's reputation going that direction.

If ASU goes to the NCHC, it's either with another PAC12 school, like Arizona, or with Bowling Green. Bowling Green is leaving the WCHA no matter what, and they may take Ferris with them to a new league based around Lake Erie, as BHSU can't stand the travel or being consigned to a league that is mostly DII schools.

No matter what happens, the WCHA will need more teams, whether it is Simon Fraser, Minot State, or Lindenwood. Deal with it. The WCHA is hardly in a position where it can be picky.

Black Hills State was only mentioned as a long term potential add because Spearfish has a new arena complex coming aboard. If you don't to know about new arenas, don't read here.

You're the one that brought up asu. I was just explaining why it was different than the rest of the schools mentioned. Fory part, I couldn't care less, but there is no comparison between them. As far as bhsu goes, they fall into the same category, new arena or not. It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with name recognition.

As for bowling green, the only way it makes sense for the to leave is if they take Miami and the Michigan schools with them. That leads to both the nchc and wcha being in an untenable situation. Again, adding more small schools that offer nothing to the programs but another date on the calendar is hardly worth it. I know most people will fight tooth and nail against me, but the fates of the wcha and nchc conferences (note I didn't say the individual schools) are tied extremely tight together.

ASU to the Big 10 as an affiliate.  BGSU and Notre Dame to the NCHC.  With NBCSN cutting down their productions, ND won't have the tv deal that kept them out of the NCHC the 1st time around.  BGSU makes it an all-mac conference and helps with stability.

• Upvote 1

The WCHA and you have some serious issues by failing to understand Arizona State will not go to the WCHA. It's a league mostly full of DII schools, not that there's anything wrong with that, but ASU is not going to sully it's reputation going that direction.

If ASU goes to the NCHC, it's either with another PAC12 school, like Arizona, or with Bowling Green. Bowling Green is leaving the WCHA no matter what, and they may take Ferris with them to a new league based around Lake Erie, as BHSU can't stand the travel or being consigned to a league that is mostly DII schools.

No matter what happens, the WCHA will need more teams, whether it is Simon Fraser, Minot State, or Lindenwood. Deal with it. The WCHA is hardly in a position where it can be picky.

Black Hills State was only mentioned as a long term potential add because Spearfish has a new arena complex coming aboard. If you don't to know about new arenas, don't read here.

This would require one of these schools to add D1 hockey... which they won't

ASU to the Big 10 as an affiliate.  BGSU and Notre Dame to the NCHC.  With NBCSN cutting down their productions, ND won't have the tv deal that kept them out of the NCHC the 1st time around.  BGSU makes it an all-mac conference and helps with stability.

Notre Dame can suck it...did they find that they weren't the golden boys playing out in Hockey East? :)
  • Upvote 2

I heard from a reliable source that Northland Technical College is looking to field a D1 team too with players that don't make UND's roster...

Close, but you're wrong. It was Dickinson State University - they're apparently going to turn the old Fryburg Elementary School into an ice hockey rink and play there. In the WCHA, of course.

Minot State? SImon Fraser? Black Hills State? Man, looks like someone started to celebrate Independence Day early :)

Ever noticed that UND women's team plays a DI Lindenwood?

http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/index.aspx?path=whockey

All three of those schools used to be NAIA, and only now are eligible for DI mens hockey. The WCHA commission must be entirely loony as he mentioned an unnamed Canadian school might join the WCHA. The only one eligible is Simon Fraser, the only DII in Canada.

I heard from a reliable source that Northland Technical College is looking to field a D1 team too with players that don't make UND's roster...

Close, but you're wrong. It was Dickinson State University - they're apparently going to turn the old Fryburg Elementary School into an ice hockey rink and play there. In the WCHA, of course.

Both of these are just GOBC rumor mill stuff.  Everyone knows that Williston State is the real up-n-comer out West.  That's where the real money is.

In a related story...

I was at a wedding this weekend, well outside of the college hockey circle.  While in the keg circle, some dude claimed to have played division I NCAA hockey for U of Illinois. 

I called BS. 

He tried to argue, but I told the group where I got my undergrad and how I know specifically about every NCAA D-1 school in existence at that time and Illinois was not one of them and is still not one of them.  I said maybe he played ACHA D-1, but sure as sheet not NCAA D-1.   His story of his winning goals against Notre Dame and Wisconsin in NCAA D-1 play went down the toilet and out the door with him.

I get tired of these BS stories guys come up with about their former hockey glory when they think nobody would call them out on it.  Crap, my old butt would have probably outskated him in his youth, and I sucked and still suck at skating...  

• Upvote 2

In a related story...

I was at a wedding this weekend, well outside of the college hockey circle.  While in the keg circle, some dude claimed to have played division I NCAA hockey for U of Illinois. 

I called BS. 

He tried to argue, but I told the group where I got my undergrad and how I know specifically about every NCAA D-1 school in existence at that time and Illinois was not one of them and is still not one of them.  I said maybe he played ACHA D-1, but sure as sheet not NCAA D-1.   His story of his winning goals against Notre Dame and Wisconsin in NCAA D-1 play went down the toilet and out the door with him.

I get tired of these BS stories guys come up with about their former hockey glory when they think nobody would call them out on it.  Crap, my old butt would have probably outskated him in his youth, and I sucked and still suck at skating...  

Illinois-Chicago was a member of the CCHA at one time.

Illinois-Chicago was a member of the CCHA at one time.

I should have made myself more clear.  Illinois / Champaign.  The Illini.  He claimed that he played in Big 10 hockey in the early 80's...    With Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Penn State. 

I knew Illinois/Chicago played D-1.  Didn't Ed Olczyk play there? 

We were at the Green Mill in Fargo one year after our fantasy football draft at the double wood across the street. Some jackass was in there claiming to have been drafted by the Ravens. Had girls just hanging on him, until our group came in and made him look like a douche.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would question the accuracy of this. Like the poster Nodak stated, both Toronto and McGill would need to be Division II before they could step into Division I hockey. 

Got word that the B1G is still looking to add The University of Toronto, McGill University and Arizona State as affiliate members for their hockey conference.

McGill University is a top 70 research institution world wide. 

The University of Toronto is a top 24 research institution world wide. 

Arizona State is being talked with because of the large population of B1G graduates that live in Phoenix, AZ. They feel it would be a great opportunity to expand BTN into that region of the country. 

Some people may remember a couple of years ago when this was first reported.

I would question the accuracy of this. Like the poster Nodak stated, both Toronto and McGill would need to be Division II before they could step into Division I hockey.

I agree with goon, these schools would have a few hoops to jump through however it would be interesting. I have always hoped Canadian schools would somehow join college hockey.

I agree with goon, these schools would have a few hoops to jump through however it would be interesting. I have always hoped Canadian schools would somehow join college hockey.

Me too, I am hoping that the UBC Thunderbirds from out west join the NCHC. I think Simon Fraiser is actually Division II right now.