SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

GPL talked about Nanne wanting North Dakota and Duluth to be in the B1G and the B1G needs to get to 8 teams.

I  don't' see much of a benefit of playing in the B1G aka the big 6 hockey conference. 

Edited by Goon

The bigger part of the conversation with Lou Nanne had to do with the proposed legislation by the Big 10 hockey conference to the NCAA. It is on limiting the age to 20, or two years after graduation to enter college hockey or risk losing a year of elgibility if you enter older. It is on College Hockey News and it deserves its own thread on this forum if somebody wants to start one with the link. ( I'm too old to figure out how to do that ) Nanne stopped short of calling Lucia an idiot because it would be detrimental to the niche sport that college hockey is. Nanne did however call the proposed plan ridiculous ( his own words ) to the success of college hockey. Apparently at the April coaches meeting the proposal had been rejected by a vote of 49-11 but the BIG 10 has since gone forward and submitted it.

Edit: I see that this discussion is already in the college hockey thread

Edited by Tbone
correction
  • Upvote 1

Lose our name

Then join the pig 10

I'm moving to warmer weather 

Fold the pig 10 & see who wants the goofs & others

Fhawk em & feed em fish heads

I wouldn't mind Wisconsin in NCHC

Edited by Fetch

• 2 weeks later...

Brad tweeted a link link to a report about UNLV actively working to step up to D1.  nice way to backdoor into the Pac 12.  article also mentions Oregon as furthest along of current pac 12 members and USC doing their homework.  Stanford just needs to allocate from its monster endowment.  I'll be a ducks season ticket holder on day one.

I'd rather stay where we are

Agreed, unless you are going to lump all sports in to the Big10 and not just hockey. If UND hockey ever moved to the Big10 we would lose all ability to call the shots. UND just would would not have the negotiating power to dictate anything and would have to bow down for the conference. Big10 hasn't worked out very good as a conference, so I would hope UND has zero intentions of moving. I feel like I remember hearing that NCHC didn't want Notre Dame because they wanted to dictate everything, move to the Big10 and you're going to get that mentality from 6 schools

Brad tweeted a link link to a report about UNLV actively working to step up to D1.  nice way to backdoor into the Pac 12.  article also mentions Oregon as furthest along of current pac 12 members and USC doing their homework.  Stanford just needs to allocate from its monster endowment.  I'll be a ducks season ticket holder on day one.

Doesn't surprise me. Question is, would Nike built a facility to contend with the Ralph? They definitely have the money over there.

If we get more "big" colleges into DI hockey would the "little" schools like the Alaska's, Bemidji St etc would drop down? Or could the WCHA try to lure these teams in their conference. And how many teams could we have in our conference? I would love to see one day we have 80-100 schools in DI hockey with UND the "Alabama" of the hockey world.

Bemidji and the Alaska schools have already been dropped from major and mid-major schools conferences.  They can compete on ice, but not with the pocketbook.  If UNLV or ASU wanted a conference home for a few years, could see the WCHA taking them in a western division of the Midwest schools can limit travel to Alaska to once a season.  But UNLV or ASU would only be there a season or two until they get upperclassmen.

• Upvote 1

Yeesh...a school with a condom for a mascot??? Bold move.

• Upvote 2

Would think UNLV and Ariz St are locks for the NCHC if UNLV pulls the trigger.  The Big Ten will not take UNLV.  They have less of a shot than UND.  Ariz St would love a regional rival.

the nchc is like-minded institutions with hockey as the marquee sport at each school.  Pass on both of these schools. WCHA/B1G can be the revolving door.

• Upvote 1

the nchc is like-minded institutions with hockey as the marquee sport at each school.  Pass on both of these schools. WCHA/B1G can be the revolving door.

Why not take them?  Notre Dame would probably join if the conference was national in scope.

The conference tournament could be in Vegas, Phoenix, Target Center, and Chicago.  Much more bucks with those schools.

• Upvote 2

Why not take them?  Notre Dame would probably join if the conference was national in scope.

The conference tournament could be in Vegas, Phoenix, Target Center, and Chicago.  Much more bucks with those schools.

They would not be in it for the long haul. Hosting a conference tournament in any of those other locations would fare akin to the regionals in Grand Rapids or Cincy.  Conferences aren't 'the more the merrier'.  I wouldn't change a thing.

• Upvote 2

The IHL's Thunder used to play hockey in the Running Rebel's arena. So, they have played hockey there before.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...