SiouxSports.com Forum

Who to root for this Saturday? Bison or Gophers

LB#11

The AC is pretty good again this year. They beat a terrible Gopher team again. If they improve every game and stay healthy they might be able to make a run at the FCS Championships. If they can run on teams they can be tough. Passing game has to continue to make big strides like they did this past week.

We played a weak team and next week play a very good team. If it makes them feel better we will have to play our best game of the year to beat S. Utah. The Gopher/ AC game is over, move it to the archives. Doesn't really matter to UND what they do? We need to continue to upgrade out talent and we are doing that, We need to be ready to compete and win next year and this should be our last difficult year. We are bringing is better kids and stealing the Mollberg kid from them when their media was claiming he was headed their way is a big step.

As long as we are giving credit where credit is due, boy has that Jensen kid come around as a QB.....The gophers have a tendency to make QB's look good, but he threw some great passes down the seem, and was in complete control the whole game. With Jensen, and Thorton on the Bison QB depth chart it makes it easy to see why Mollberg would end up choosing UND. He won't get to play a ton right away at NDSU....maybe until he's a junior.

He won't get to play a ton right away at NDSU....maybe until he's a junior.

Isn't that the way it use to be at UND? Get some good QB's lined up. Get them in the system and then they usually start their Jr and Sr years. Not having to start a freshman/transfer.

Instead it seem like UND recruited two backup QB's in Goska and Hendrickson. :(

Lets put aside our arrogance and give credit where it is due. Minnesota is a poor FBS team but so is Idaho and UND got out-coached and out-played in the second half of both Idaho games. NDSU is now 5 -3 vs. FBS schools and despite who those schools are, that is a major accomplishment. To be completely honest, we would likely not beat Ball State, Kansas, or Minnesota right now. There is definite reason to be excited as our Big Sky conference affiliation will definitely bring in much improved and needed talent but, unfortunately, NSDU and UND do not have teams on the same level right now. And, I will say, our coaching needs to improve in order to get to that level.

How would NDSU do against the 2010 Idaho team (NFL drafted QB), Texas Tech, Northern Illinois (who crushed Cal Poly yesterday), and Fresno State.

NDSU has lost to Iowa St, Wyoming, Minnesota...they beat Central Mich, MInny twice, Ball State, and Kansas. Sure those are accomplishments, but UND beating App St would be bigger than beating Kansas or Minnesota.

Other FCS fans put Minny at a .500 MVFC team. They are horrible.

• Upvote 1

How would NDSU do against the 2010 Idaho team (NFL drafted QB), Texas Tech, Northern Illinois (who crushed Cal Poly yesterday), and Fresno State?

It's odd you are trying to compare the FBS teams UND played and the FBS teams NDSU played.

Is the correct answer: Not any worse than UND?

Just some food for thought--USD parlayed its win vs. the Goofs last year to a stellar 4-7 season. I certainly don't expect NDSU to follow suit, but it just goes to show that it doesn't take an FCS national championship contender--or even a team with a .500 record--to beat Minnesota these days.

I don't know, you tell me after 20 years of no championships won at any level and not even a runner-up either.

This was really a reason I hated to see UND go DI in all sports.....pound your chest all you want for being DI, but honestly.....put it in perspective....No more national championships in really any sport besides hockey. And come on.....Be happy all you want with a DI-AA football national championship....but UND would get murdered by Oregon, Nebraska, LSU. So basically if UND won the DI-AA football championship it'd be like winning the NIT Championship of college football. If the Sioux basketball teams are amazing and win their conference tournament you get to play the likes of Duke, Kansas, North Carolina....and you get to lose.....But hey, you were on CBS for two hours on a Thursday or Friday in the fall........

At least the hockey teams have a legitimate chance at national championships in the DI landscape.

• Downvote 1

It's tough to say how UND would do against Minnesota. I do think that Minnesota was a lot better last year when they had an actual quarterback that could throw and wasn't Sherrills from the Vikings a gopher last year as well? That team still got rolled by South Dakota, and let's not forget they also got rolled by Northern Illinois who the Sioux took down to the wire. Bottom line is that you need to finish off games like that against a higher division. NDSU has done that, UND has not. You can make arguments that Fresno State is better than Minnesota, but UND didn't finish them off when they had a chance. I hope that UND can get to the ultimate in FCS before NDSU, but there is much improvement needed in order for that to happen.

As long as we are giving credit where credit is due, boy has that Jensen kid come around as a QB.....The gophers have a tendency to make QB's look good, but he threw some great passes down the seem, and was in complete control the whole game. With Jensen, and Thorton on the Bison QB depth chart it makes it easy to see why Mollberg would end up choosing UND. He won't get to play a ton right away at NDSU....maybe until he's a junior.

I think the Wentz kid will be under center in 2 years. He is the one that I wish would of went to UND.

This was really a reason I hated to see UND go DI in all sports.....pound your chest all you want for being DI, but honestly.....put it in perspective....No more national championships in really any sport besides hockey. And come on.....Be happy all you want with a DI-AA football national championship....but UND would get murdered by Oregon, Nebraska, LSU. So basically if UND won the DI-AA football championship it'd be like winning the NIT Championship of college football. If the Sioux basketball teams are amazing and win their conference tournament you get to play the likes of Duke, Kansas, North Carolina....and you get to lose.....But hey, you were on CBS for two hours on a Thursday or Friday in the fall........

At least the hockey teams have a legitimate chance at national championships in the DI landscape.

Agree absolutely.

I don't know, you tell me after 20 years of no championships won at any level and not even a runner-up either.

I think you have some medical problems, seriously. I will take the win against Minnesota and gloat over you all day. I do appreciate the normal UND fans though for giving us a little credit, much appreciated. I bid you good luck against SUU, they look like they are having a stellar year.

• Downvote 2

How would NDSU do against the 2010 Idaho team (NFL drafted QB), Texas Tech, Northern Illinois (who crushed Cal Poly yesterday), and Fresno State.

NDSU has lost to Iowa St, Wyoming, Minnesota...they beat Central Mich, MInny twice, Ball State, and Kansas. Sure those are accomplishments, but UND beating App St would be bigger than beating Kansas or Minnesota.

You are Ubelieveable!!! Until the Sioux beat a FBS team there is Nothing to brag about. My goodness, just give some credit where it's due. UND would not be 5-3 against those same teams. MAYBE 3-5.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You are Ubelieveable!!! Until the Sioux beat a FBS team there is Nothing to brag about. My goodness, just give some credit where it's due. UND would not be 5-3 against those same teams. MAYBE 3-5.

UND may be 5-3 against NDSU's opponents, I know for damn sure NDSU would not be 5-3 against our FBS opponents.

Case in point - Herald article headlines today "Aggressive approach paces Bison" and quotes Bohl as saying "We didn't come into the game to play conservative". Now, I don't like the Bison, their obnoxious fans, or a lot of Bison talk on our website, but I think this attitude says a lot about why they have been successful while we "go toe to toe". Mussman needs to step it up.

Great coaching and not a "lucky" play. Mussman you listening????

“We had rehearsed if you intercept a ball at the end of the half, don’t go down,” Bohl said “I saw Marcus and he was yelling ‘Pitch’ so I just threw it,” Heagle said. “In a game like this, you can’t hold anything back.” Williams said he wanted the ball once he saw that Heagle was going to get tackled.

“I’m yelling ‘Pitch, pitch, pitch’ and he threw it back,” Williams said. “It was just a heads up. I’ve never been in one of those. You see them on TV a lot. I’ve always said ‘I want to be part of one of those.”

I will admit I am/was jealous of the Bison. Props.

Not sure why our society teaches us to not like our neighbors (rivals). With that said, I was cheering for the Gophers.

You note the 2010 Idaho team as having a drafted QB rightfully as a reason they are a quality opponent that sioux struggled badly with, yet you ignore Central Michigan (MAC Champions) had Dan Lefevour (6th Rd), and Ball State had Nate Davis (5th Rd).

Bohl just seems to take his teams into those games expecting to win, and coaching...and playing...accordingly. I won't argue with the result.

How would the bison do vs the Idaho team? I'm sure they'd like their chances.

You note the 2010 Idaho team as having a drafted QB rightfully as a reason they are a quality opponent that sioux struggled badly with, yet you ignore Central Michigan (MAC Champions) had Dan Lefevour (6th Rd), and Ball State had Nate Davis (5th Rd).

How would the bison do vs the Idaho team? I'm sure they'd like their chances.

How old were those two when the game was played?

How old were those two when the game was played?

Why QBs get drafted:

Lefevour was a Sophomore. Season Stats :2007: Became just the second player in NCAA history (Vince Young, Texas) to pass for 3,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards in the same season