SiouxSports.com Forum

Kessel returning to the "U"?

buckysieve

Maybe what the goofer fans are trying to tell us is that it wasn't the "one move wonder's" cancer in the locker room which caused them to hit rock bottom. It was their lack of confidence from losing to St. Clown and then Bucky. They had no shot against Holy Cross.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to break you little bubble fella's, but no GOOD coach will ever tell you a game is meaningless, especially not at the end of the year. Aren't you goophie fans always saying that titles are won in March and April not in October/November ? It seems to me that two losses in the Final Five don't do a hell of a lot for a team, it's just the wrong time of the year for the wheels to come off.

Tell that to Denver in '04. They didn't even make it to the Final Five. Or Wisconsin in '03. They didn't make the Final Five either but they had a good tourney and were one goal away from the Frozen Four. Going into the NCAA's on a roll is nice but it's certainly not essential.

Tell that to Denver in '04. They didn't even make it to the Final Five.

The point is the battle cry of minny for years is that titles are won at the end of the year. Quit trying to twist this $hit around. We are talking about your coach's weak-ass attempt to try justify losses when everyone knows damn well these were games they should have won.

Nothing the Gophers do at the X will typically be good enough for the Sioux fans here. There really isn't a problem with that.

The last three third place "Champs" at the X have made the Frozen Four! Cool. Of course up until that point only one 3rd place "champ" made it to the Frozen Four previously. CC in '97 for those who are really interested.

The bottom line is that the Gophers have sucked at the X the last two years. One of those years (when Lucia apparently still knew how to coach) he was able to get them back into form a week later and they played hard at well all weekend vs. Maine and Cornell. The next season (when Lucia forgot what the heck he was doing) they got sucked into a tight game with Holy Cross and lost. The result of the Holy Cross game clearly wasn't because of a dozen stupid penalties and a goalie who had lost his edge, it was because of the way Lucia prepared them for the 3rd place UW game!

This thread rocks. It's a Kessel thread that has wandered instead of vice versa!

Can anyone really see what my display picture is or what it reads? I can't myslef, but obviously know what it is and says. Just curious.

It looks like a "+" sign with some scribbles around it. I probably could figure out what it says, but that would likely defeat all the therapy I went through this spring.

Nothing the Gophers do at the X will typically be good enough for the Sioux fans here. There really isn't a problem with that.

The last three third place "Champs" at the X have made the Frozen Four! Cool. Of course up until that point only one 3rd place "champ" made it to the Frozen Four previously. CC in '97 for those who are really interested.

The bottom line is that the Gophers have sucked at the X the last two years. One of those years (when Lucia apparently still knew how to coach) he was able to get them back into form a week later and they played hard at well all weekend vs. Maine and Cornell. The next season (when Lucia forgot what the heck he was doing) they got sucked into a tight game with Holy Cross and lost. The result of the Holy Cross game clearly wasn't because of a dozen stupid penalties and a goalie who had lost his edge, it was because of the way Lucia prepared them for the 3rd place UW game!

This thread rocks. It's a Kessel thread that has wandered instead of vice versa!

I find it hard to argue with anything sagard has stated in this post.

The result of the Holy Cross game clearly wasn't because of a dozen stupid penalties and a goalie who had lost his edge, it was because of the way Lucia prepared them for the 3rd place UW game!

Sagard,

LOL, that is a good way of cleaning up what translates to: UofMN had a horrible golaie that is a great big sieve, that no one on the team had confidence in.

Well then you agree with him that losing to Holy Cross had nothing to do with losing the third place game, therefore it was meaningless.

He might not but I think the game against UofW carried over right into th enext game. Kellin was horrible in both games and the teams the goofs played had goalies that were not. Top it all off with a team that had probably just as much talent up front as anyone in the country, couldn't of have scored on UND's Women hockey team.

It looks like a "+" sign with some scribbles around it. I probably could figure out what it says, but that would likely defeat all the therapy I went through this spring.

Thank you Sagard!

It is actually a picture of a Sioux fan holding a sign at the Gophers/Holy Cross Game taken with a cell phone. The sign says Holy Cross

+

Gopher Loss

I just wish I had a better camera at that game :angry:

The result of the Holy Cross game clearly wasn't because of a dozen stupid penalties and a goalie who had lost his edge, it was because of the way Lucia prepared them for the 3rd place UW game!

Lost his Edge??? You say potato and I say career sieve. :angry:

OK, so I'm coming in to the end of the discussion here, but from what I can read, it sounds like Kessel is going to turn pro because he's sick of playing in 3rd place games. Did I get that right?

Ummm to be exact that would be 3rd place games that don't matter.

The bottom line is that the Gophers have sucked at the X the last two years. One of those years (when Lucia apparently still knew how to coach) he was able to get them back into form a week later and they played hard at well all weekend vs. Maine and Cornell. The next season (when Lucia forgot what the heck he was doing) they got sucked into a tight game with Holy Cross and lost.

Although you make sense in your post, I have to disagree with your point. It wasn't Lucia's coaching that got the Gophers over the hump against Maine and Cornell. Playing in Mariucci got the Gophers over the hump there. Had those games been anywhere but Mariucci, there would have been no Frozen Four that year either. The fact that they played at home one week after tanking in the Final Five is what saved them. Otherwise, they would have had a one and done ala Holy Cross.

I stumbled across this post-draft article about Kessel. It's pretty entertaining.

Bruins had no choice with fifth pick

The consensus belief was also that Kessel doesn't interview well, and he did nothing to dispel that notion with his brief post-selection chat on TSN. Kessel barely put together audible responses to the questions, his eye contact was uncomfortable and, frankly, he came off in closeups like Garth being accosted by Madonna in Wayne's World.

I agree and he is going to have a checker on him at all time.

Hmmm.....why would someone draft a guy number five if it were true that he had one good move? Would a guy with ONLY one good move put up 50 pts. and be r.o.y?........I take it on faith you

are actually intelligent hockey fans and you're just trying to incit a fight...which is juvenile. If you really mean that....I'd have to say your goofer hatred blocks your objectivity. And...I think people had kinda heard the name Phil Kessel before last year so defenses trying to account for him specifically would be nothing new.

Hmmm.....why would someone draft a guy number five if it were true that he had one good move? Would a guy with ONLY one good move put up 50 pts. and be r.o.y?........I take it on faith you

The one move was plenty to score most of those points against Alaska. As for the ROY, it was won on pure hype, as two Sioux alone were better RCs

I guess that is the difference between Lucia and the Sioux coaches from Blais to the current coaches -- they expect the pride in their jersey to be there no matter the game. Granted it always doesn't turn out that way, but I think you saw how Hakstol reacted last year when the Sioux weren't giving what he perceived to be their best effort.

A little curious............what exactly is the "ONE MOVE" that you all keep refering to ?

He tried "the move" in the World Junior tourney against Canada and the Canadian D-man pounded him to the ice and you could see after the whistle blew the d-man had a smile on his face. It's kind of a toe drag type move. It will never work against NHL caliber defenseman.