SiouxSports.com Forum

Kessel returning to the "U"?

buckysieve

Wait a second, bucky, I didn't think the Broadmoor was all that important? I guess it's only important if you win your semi-final game at the X. If you lose, you just say that the tournament didn't matter anyways and tank the third-place game, right? Stop straddling the fence and pick a side, would you? You scoff at the Final Five, now you use the lack of a Broadmoor Trophy to rip on Parise? Cmon...you can do better than that!

It's only important if us GOpher fans SAY it's important, haven't you guys learned ANYTHING? ;):sad:

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a second, bucky, I didn't think the Broadmoor was all that important? I guess it's only important if you win your semi-final game at the X. If you lose, you just say that the tournament didn't matter anyways and tank the third-place game, right? Stop straddling the fence and pick a side, would you? You scoff at the Final Five, now you use the lack of a Broadmoor Trophy to rip on Parise? Cmon...you can do better than that!

Now your putting words in my mouth. Not once did I say the Final Five was not important. There is a huge difference between saying the third place game is meaningless and saying the Final Five is meaningless. Pretty funny how you take, "3rd place games are meaningless" to mean the same thing as saying the Broadmoor doesn't mean anything. Nice try, you were really reaching with that one. ;) I have a lot of respect for the Final Five and it's importance, but once you lose your semi-final game, finishing in either 3rd or 4th doesn't make much difference, in my opinion. If Sioux fans want to brag and get all giddy over finishing in 3rd at the 2005 Final Five, then have at it. 3rd place finishes in a five team tourney doesn't excite many Gopher fans.

Now your putting words in my mouth. Not once did I say the Final Five was not important. There is a huge difference between saying the third place game is meaningless and saying the Final Five is meaningless. Pretty funny how you take, "3rd place games are meaningless" to mean the same thing as saying the Broadmoor doesn't mean anything. Nice try, you were really reaching with that one. :angry: I have a lot of respect for the Final Five and it's importance, but once you lose your semi-final game, finishing in either 3rd or 4th doesn't make much difference, in my opinion. If Sioux fans want to brag and get all giddy over finishing in 3rd at the 2005 Final Five, then have at it. 3rd place finishes in a five team tourney doesn't excite many Gopher fans.

Now your putting words in my mouth. Not once did I say the Final Five was not important. There is a huge difference between saying the third place game is meaningless and saying the Final Five is meaningless. Pretty funny how you take, "3rd place games are meaningless" to mean the same thing as saying the Broadmoor doesn't mean anything. Nice try, you were really reaching with that one. :angry: I have a lot of respect for the Final Five and it's importance, but once you lose your semi-final game, finishing in either 3rd or 4th doesn't make much difference, in my opinion. If Sioux fans want to brag and get all giddy over finishing in 3rd at the 2005 Final Five, then have at it. 3rd place finishes in a five team tourney doesn't excite many Gopher fans.

There is no excuse for the way they played that 3rd place game..........even if it did, truely "mean nothing".

If Sioux fans want to brag and get all giddy over finishing in 3rd at the 2005 Final Five, then have at it. 3rd place finishes in a five team tourney doesn't excite many Gopher fans.

That third place game win sure propelled them over the Gophers a short time later, didn't it?

Obviously a 3rd place finish in a five team tourney doesn't excite many Gopher fans. One need only look at the number of empty 'fair-weather fan special' seats in the stands.

Keep preachin' to your choir, buckysieve.

That third place game win sure propelled them over the Gophers a short time later, didn't it?

Obviously a 3rd place finish in a five team tourney doesn't excite many Gopher fans. One need only look at the number of empty 'fair-weather fan special' seats in the stands.

Keep preachin' to your choir, buckysieve.

HEY !! HEY !! I was there..........though I wanted my money back after the game (or lack thereof)

HEY !! HEY !! I was there..........though I wanted my money back after the game (or lack thereof)

The 'fair-weather fan specials' were the empty seats. You, however, can be applauded for supporting your team.

The only argument someone can make about the third place game not being meaningless is to argue that it's important to go into the ncaa's on a bit of a roll. I don't think this argument holds water. Denver in '04 went into the ncaa tourney after losing a home playoff series to a wcha bottom feeder(I forget which one) and they went on to win the national title.

That's a bad example. Denver didn't play in the WCHA Final Five that year, having been swept in two games by Colorado College in the WCHA playoffs. It worked out to Denver's advantage to miss the conference tournament because their D-corps had been banged up nearly the entire season. The Pioneers also got back Connor James, the team's second leading scorer, after he broke his leg. DU got healthy and Berkhoel got hot after struggling most of the season. It was a rather unusual situation.

You can claim that third-place games are meaningless, but I absolutely believe that UND's defeat of the Gophers in the 2005 Final Five third place game had a great deal to do with the Sioux run all the way to the Frozen Four championship game that season.

You can claim that third-place games are meaningless, but I absolutely believe that UND's defeat of the Gophers in the 2005 Final Five third place game had a great deal to do with the Sioux run all the way to the Frozen Four championship game that season.

Long live King PCM! There is NO question in my mind that the 2005 season turned around on the Spirko short-handed goal against the Gophers in that game.

That's a bad example. Denver didn't play in the WCHA Final Five that year, having been swept in two games by Colorado College in the WCHA playoffs. It worked out to Denver's advantage to miss the conference tournament because their D-corps had been banged up nearly the entire season. The Pioneers also got back Connor James, the team's second leading scorer, after he broke his leg. DU got healthy and Berkhoel got hot after struggling most of the season. It was a rather unusual situation.

It's always about getting hot at the right time...........

Now your putting words in my mouth. Not once did I say the Final Five was not important. There is a huge difference between saying the third place game is meaningless and saying the Final Five is meaningless. Pretty funny how you take, "3rd place games are meaningless" to mean the same thing as saying the Broadmoor doesn't mean anything. Nice try, you were really reaching with that one. ;) I have a lot of respect for the Final Five and it's importance, but once you lose your semi-final game, finishing in either 3rd or 4th doesn't make much difference, in my opinion. If Sioux fans want to brag and get all giddy over finishing in 3rd at the 2005 Final Five, then have at it. 3rd place finishes in a five team tourney doesn't excite many Gopher fans.

It's not the fact that we finished 3rd out of 5 teams that people were excited about, but rather who we played in that game. But then again we are not your biggest rival, that would be wisco. Hmmmmmm, let's see didn't you play them in the 3rd place game this last year, and what were the results. Sorry there is just no excuse for a team not being able to get pumped up to play their biggest rival(s). It doesn't matter what's on the line. It just shows lack of heart, passion, determination, ect. ect. If donny can't get his team excited about playing wisco or the Sioux, I'd certainly say that is an indication of other problems.

In UND's case, I don't think "getting hot" had much to do with it. After losing Robbie Bina, Mike Prpich and Brady Murray during the tournament and losing a heartbreaker in OT to Denver, nobody would have blamed the Sioux for mailing in the third place game against Minnesota. But they didn't. The team rode the momentum from that game all the way to the Frozen Four championship.

Very true.........the key is for the coaches to keep the team improving and then play your best hockey in March and that may well keep you playing into April

Just have to stir the pot one last time for the week.............................................

Just what was it again that prevented the Gopher chokers from being hot at the right time?

I think it was a combination of the "jersey pop" and Kessel's me first attitude. Plus UPChucko already had Calgary on his mind. Along with lucia Pet's third place game preperation. All that leads to "HOLY COW"....and the Goofers skating off the ice with their heads down while the Sioux fans taunt them. Man that was great to witness in person!!

Losing a heartbreaker in overtime after an amazing comeback the night before makes it almost impossible to get up emotionally for an afternoon game the next day against a team that had 24 hours of rest, especially when that game has no bearing on where or who you'll be playing the next weekend. The Gophers were going to Grand Forks regardless of the outcome of that game.

it's true that the gophs would have ended up in grand forks regardless... but who they played changed when they lost to wisco. umn was #1 overall, but the loss to wisco dropped them to #2. because holy cross was ahead of bemidji state... the gophers drew the #15 overall instead of the #16 overall. the rest is history. but who knows, the beavers could have beat the gophers the way they played too.

Could be. Could also be those games are symptoms not causes. UND in '05 closed 9-2-2 with losses only to DU who probably had the best single season team in my memory that year. I'm not trying to take anything from the UND effort that game. It was amazing. They were shorthanded, dealing with the Bina emergency and in their 3rd game of the weekend.

UW last year could be a good example too. Their scorers had gone cold, but good old Kellen fixed them right up for playoffs.

As for exactly what the right thing for us Gophs fans to do when we stink up the 3rd place game? I don't know. The game clearly matters. It may make no difference in seeding, like in '05, but it still needs to be played hard. Actually in '05 I thought the Gophers did play very well until the Spirko goal. Shaky tending but that really isn't a shocker. After UND got ahead they simply showed the Gophs what was in store for them in Columbus.

The lack of heart and desire of the Gopher hockey team at the end of the season the past two years really befuddles me. None of us know the exact true cause. But the most telling statement that I heard from a Gopher player after the Holy Cross game was "We deserve better than this!" I don't remember the player who said it in an interview, but it stunned me. I simply could not believe that anyone who played any sports for the length of time these guys have played could have that attitude. Yes the Gophers had a pretty good season, but that is history once the playoffs start. Nothing that happened before now matters. I got into a debate with a Gopher poster that WI loss in the so-called meaningless game was a bad omen. No, MN did not need to win the game, but the Gophers needed to show pride in themselves and their program in that game to right what was a leaky ship. That was the meaning behind the third-place game in this instance. And don't lay that "afternoon game after a tough loss" baloney out there. St. Cloud played three games in three days and showed up for all three games. St. Cloud earned respect. They did far more, with far less, for three straight days than that Gopher team ever thought of doing at that point. For whatever reason, the attitude of the Gopher team was in the sewer. Lucia had better figure out how to cleanse the locker room of that attitude or it will continue to haunt the team in the future.

And just so this is somewhat back on topic, we can speculate as to whether Kessel leaving or staying would help cleanse the attitude or really not make a difference. From previous posts it appears that there are opinions on both sides of the aisle, at least from Sioux fans.

So does anyone have updated info on Kessell? Perhaps we should take up abortion or presidential hopefuls for 2008? :angry:

Well I can't imagine the one move wonder will ever be a presidential hopeful so I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that in 2008 it will be revealed he was in fact an abortion hopeful.

Hey Siouxman, I believe the quote was something like this... "this team deserves better than this". It came from none other than the one and only danny irmen as he was shedding tears over the loss outside the locker room after the Holy Cross embarassment. Like I said before, a fitting end to his career, especially after all the antics he pulled at the Ralph over the last 3 years.