SiouxSports.com Forum

Kessel returning to the "U"?

buckysieve

You could say the same thing about Toews and Skille. If Chicago wants them for next season then both will be gone. E. Johnson has wanted to be a Gopher his whole life but if St. Louis wanted him on their team next year he would've signed. It's usually always up to the team. It doesn't mean that Kessel doesn't have love for Gopher hockey. And I highly doubt that Kessel would play one minute in the AHL like you suggested.

Who Cares. Man this is getting old. How about something useful.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a PK thread, and it makes for conversation in the off season.

Ummm...if you don't care, why are you reading this thread anyway? :crazy:

And I am fine with that. The stuff I have heard a hundred times in other threads already and then here again is the stuff I dont care about. I was reading it because I was lookin for some good info. Sorry i guess

And I am fine with that. The stuff I have heard a hundred times in other threads already and then here again is the stuff I dont care about. I was reading it because I was lookin for some good info. Sorry i guess

All you had to do was read the header and the originator to know exactly what you would be getting. Which is why I provided an appropriate and as it turns out accurate response in Post #45. :ohmy:

You could say the same thing about Toews and Skille. If Chicago wants them for next season then both will be gone. E. Johnson has wanted to be a Gopher his whole life but if St. Louis wanted him on their team next year he would've signed. It's usually always up to the team. It doesn't mean that Kessel doesn't have love for Gopher hockey. And I highly doubt that Kessel would play one minute in the AHL like you suggested.

Normally I'd agree with this (because 99.9999999999999% of the time this is the case). However, Toews on numerous occasions has been quoted saying that if he can't crack the NHL lineup he'd rather go back to UND. Kessel, on the other hand, has basically stated that he'd rather be a pro than go back to the U.

Now, apart from other people around here, I have my own conspiracy theory behind this and it has nothing to do with the the U, Lucia, or Holy Cross. It has to do with two things: 1. $$$$ and 2. Hockey. When he signs, he gets paid... a lot. It also starts him on the road sooner towards a free agent contract, which is bigger $$$. As for the hockey, no, I'm not saying that the U has a poor hockey program, but what I AM saying is that the only thing Kessel has to study is the playbook and whatever the Bruins tell him to study. There is no eligibility riding on it (so if he screws up on a question or three that the coach asks him he may sit a game, but he won't have to sit a semester). Maybe Kessel doesn't like the academic side of collegiate hockey but doesn't like the physicality of major juniors?

The jury is still out and I'm still predicting Kessel will sign. St. Louis' camp hasn't begun yet so I'd even wager EJ's status is still up in the air (though I'm now leaning towards 1 year of college for EJ). Skille and Toews... I expect Chicago to sign one of these two at least. I hope it is Skille.

Normally I'd agree with this (because 99.9999999999999% of the time this is the case). However, Toews on numerous occasions has been quoted saying that if he can't crack the NHL lineup he'd rather go back to UND. Kessel, on the other hand, has basically stated that he'd rather be a pro than go back to the U.

Now, apart from other people around here, I have my own conspiracy theory behind this and it has nothing to do with the the U, Lucia, or Holy Cross. It has to do with two things: 1. $$$$ and 2. Hockey. When he signs, he gets paid... a lot. It also starts him on the road sooner towards a free agent contract, which is bigger $$$. As for the hockey, no, I'm not saying that the U has a poor hockey program, but what I AM saying is that the only thing Kessel has to study is the playbook and whatever the Bruins tell him to study. There is no eligibility riding on it (so if he screws up on a question or three that the coach asks him he may sit a game, but he won't have to sit a semester). Maybe Kessel doesn't like the academic side of collegiate hockey but doesn't like the physicality of major juniors?

The jury is still out and I'm still predicting Kessel will sign. St. Louis' camp hasn't begun yet so I'd even wager EJ's status is still up in the air (though I'm now leaning towards 1 year of college for EJ). Skille and Toews... I expect Chicago to sign one of these two at least. I hope it is Skille.

EJ still up in the air?:crazy:.....I'd call that wishful thinking. Possible I guess but highly unlikely

According this article in Sunday's Boston Globe, Phil Kessel says that he hasn't ruled out signing with the Bruins.

Despite media reports to the contrary last week, Kessel said Friday he has not ruled out signing with the Bruins and turning pro prior to the start of Boston's training camp Sept. 14.

"That's not the case," said Kessel, reached at his Wisconsin home, when asked about two Minnesota-based newspaper reports that had him committing to a second season with the Gophers. "I don't know where that came from. Do I plan on going back? Yes. But that's only the plan because I haven't signed.

"Right now, I don't know what's going to happen."

According this article in Sunday's Boston Globe, Phil Kessel says that he hasn't ruled out signing with the Bruins.

It still sounds like he's going to sign. I'm glad I took Sid's column with a grain of salt and didn't fully believe it, otherwise this would be tough to take. It's obvious that he would prefer to sign.

It still sounds like he's going to sign. I'm glad I took Sid's column with a grain of salt and didn't fully believe it, otherwise this would be tough to take. It's obvious that he would prefer to sign.

Does someone have the picture of the dog wake me up when it is over?

ABTG: You are simply amazing.

Earlier on this thread, you thrash everyone on our Sioux board for talking about the Gophers, then you go ahead and start your own Gopher-based thread! Very impressive. But don't worry, I'm sure THETRIOUXPER will come to your rescue any second and start calling me naughty names.

I'm not happy with all this speculation. I wish that we knew one way or the other with Toews, Kessel, Skille, etc. It must drive the coaches crazy. Ah, well....maybe this will not be this bad in ensuing summers.

Just guessing, but I think the coaches probably know better then we do on what's going on. Maybe not, but I think so.

Kessel's apparent desire to NOT come back to college hockey, coupled with the rampant rumors that he's got some issues in the lockerroom have me thinking it may not be so bad to see him with MN for one more year...

Folks, the sides are negotiating: Kessel clearly weakened his position at one point by saying he'd like to go pro. To restrengthen it he (someone) leaked to "Grandpa Sid" that he'd be back. Now there are reports the Bruins are still talking about signing him. Clearly, negotiations and posturing are on-going.

I believe guys will be back when I see them in a jersey, on the ice, in a game. (That goes for them all.)

However, I'm with "dagies" on one point:

I'd love to have Kessel's (rather gone pro) attitude in the Gopher room all year. :crazy:

Kessel's apparent desire to NOT come back to college hockey, coupled with the rampant rumors that he's got some issues in the lockerroom have me thinking it may not be so bad to see him with MN for one more year...

Dagies, you beat me to it...again. A little cancer in the locker at the John would be fun to watch...