SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

• 1 month later...

So the single story family housing units along Stanford Road were demolished.  If I’m reading the building plans right, new apartments will be built facing University, and parking lots paved beyond them like the Wilkerson Complex.  Anyone have pictures of the building style?

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So the single story family housing units along Stanford Road were demolished.  If I’m reading the building plans right, new apartments will be built facing University, and parking lots paved beyond them like the Wilkerson Complex.  Anyone have pictures of the building style?

Sounds uncreative.  Mix in some commercial and do a university village thing there.  Isnt that a large chunk of land? 

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Sounds uncreative.  Mix in some commercial and do a university village thing there.  Isnt that a large chunk of land? 

That stretch of University does not have that much traffic.   Maybe another coffee shop or bagel stand or fast food place.  Near the Student Union would have much more traffic, but still would have abysmally low traffic some days.

This would be out there, but maybe an sellers student art gallery or clothes boutique, but customers that have money would not be driving by much.  At much larger U’s, they often have such stores.

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Will UND be doing the new buildings, or will they do a long-term lease to a developer?

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Where do you see the building plans? 

1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

Where do you see the building plans? 

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2018/01/masters-of-planning/

There are longer buildings planned along University, with parking and then intramural fields.  But the Herald article says there are no plans right now to build.

Heard from some very old fans that say this is where a new football stadium would be built, but that location has such bad access and doesn’t have commercially developable property.  Ray Richards does fits better on both accounts.

11 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2018/01/masters-of-planning/

There are longer buildings planned along University, with parking and then intramural fields.  But the Herald article says there are no plans right now to build.

Heard from some very old fans that say this is where a new football stadium would be built, but that location has such bad access and doesn’t have commercially developable property.  Ray Richards does fits better on both accounts.

The plans for the new stadium at the Ray Richards site are out.  As you can see, there is plenty of room for retail space around it! :wink:

rams.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The plans for the new stadium at the Ray Richards site are out.  As you can see, there is plenty of room for retail space around it! :wink:

rams.jpg

Maybe if UND sells out to Kroenke or the Walton family they might get that. ;)

But then again they tend to donate their money to Missouri and don’t make a big deal about it.

• 1 month later...

I was stunned when I saw this in the GF Herald.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/editorials/4490940-our-view-hpc2-looms-definite-need-und

Deferred maintenance costs at UND already are an albatross around the school's neck. That's why it's best to raze the buildings and sell properties — such as Ray Richards Golf Course — that cannot easily be supported or those that do not serve a modern purpose. Funds instead should be used to modernize areas that need it most.

HPC1 was paid for with nearly $20 million in private funds. The second phase, a $35 million project, would include offices and locker rooms for football and track, a strength/conditioning area, an athlete academic center and sports medicine space.

It's important not just for the football program, but also because it would be used to relocate other athletics employees who eventually will be displaced by a proposed science, technology, engineering and math facility in what is now Hyslop Sports Center.

So here I am agreeing with the Herald (I feel so dirty): 
- yes, the old worn out buildings need to go, they're a drain on funds, a deferred maintenance budget drag, and an eyesore
- yes, an updating of facilities for Athletics is needed, including all the things the Herald mentions 
- and yes, we need this to happen so the Hyslop space can become a new STEM building 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

one thing ill disagree about with bubba is that when he says no one is enamored with fenway or wrigley....so how many championships have boston and chicago won recently versus miami, colorado, seattle, arizona.............

Recruits.